Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 29, 2012
I really want a good pet but i dont know where to look.. i like the desert beast i think itas called but i have no idea how to get it someone tell me your favorite pet and where to get it please.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Some thoughts:

1. Start off with reasonable expectations. A first generation pet may give good talents, but its a gamble. Selective hatching to breed in desired talents and increasing max attributes takes huge gold and time. It takes weeks or months to get your final desired awsome pet. Get a pet that you like and suits your wizard (because its cool looking and fun) and then use it as your base pet for any further hatching etc. If you are on your first wizard under level 50 I recommend being happy with a first gen pet, perhaps dabble with one or two hatchings.

2. Pet pedigree is not important. Pet talents are. And the pet max attributes are important.

3. Think about what kinds of pet talents you would like to have. Usually school related talents are a good idea. Off school talents are usually not useful. Generally a pet based on your wizard school is a good starting point. Look on wizard101 central pets to get an idea of the types of talents pets can have.

4. Many pets come with 'selfish' talents. These talents don't help your wizard during battle and are generally undesirable.

5. Many pets come with a spell card that gets added to your deck (similar to a wand spell). Some people like card giving pets, others don't. I believe off-school attack spells are undesirable.. they just cost pips to use.

6. Spritely is a great talent to get. It works okay and its fun. Many like unicorn too. Other may-cast spells I find happen too infrequently and unpredictible. I rather have boosts to my wizard (damage, resistance, & pip boosts). Mana and health boosts are okay, but as your wizard get higher level the boost becomes insignificant.

7. Unless you have a personal friend that will hatch with you, going to the pet hatchery and trying to hatch a basic ho-hum pet with a stranger's crazy awsome pet is unlikely. Most strangers will decline you.

Happy Wizarding!

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
my favorite pet, hmmm, i am stuck between a lot: ghost hound:get from nightmare pack, penumbra drake: nightmare pack, and ghost dragon: nightmare pack

i think you get the beasts from hoard of the hydra pack

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
RottenHeart on Jan 7, 2013 wrote:
Some thoughts:

1. Start off with reasonable expectations. A first generation pet may give good talents, but its a gamble. Selective hatching to breed in desired talents and increasing max attributes takes huge gold and time. It takes weeks or months to get your final desired awsome pet. Get a pet that you like and suits your wizard (because its cool looking and fun) and then use it as your base pet for any further hatching etc. If you are on your first wizard under level 50 I recommend being happy with a first gen pet, perhaps dabble with one or two hatchings.

2. Pet pedigree is not important. Pet talents are. And the pet max attributes are important.

3. Think about what kinds of pet talents you would like to have. Usually school related talents are a good idea. Off school talents are usually not useful. Generally a pet based on your wizard school is a good starting point. Look on wizard101 central pets to get an idea of the types of talents pets can have.

4. Many pets come with 'selfish' talents. These talents don't help your wizard during battle and are generally undesirable.

5. Many pets come with a spell card that gets added to your deck (similar to a wand spell). Some people like card giving pets, others don't. I believe off-school attack spells are undesirable.. they just cost pips to use.

6. Spritely is a great talent to get. It works okay and its fun. Many like unicorn too. Other may-cast spells I find happen too infrequently and unpredictible. I rather have boosts to my wizard (damage, resistance, & pip boosts). Mana and health boosts are okay, but as your wizard get higher level the boost becomes insignificant.

7. Unless you have a personal friend that will hatch with you, going to the pet hatchery and trying to hatch a basic ho-hum pet with a stranger's crazy awsome pet is unlikely. Most strangers will decline you.

Happy Wizarding!
for your number 2: pedigree sometimes matters, thats the rarity of the talents, say i have a ghost dragon adult with 65 pedigree (i do :D) i will get 3 cards (i do :3) animate, some other spell i frogot, and some other spell i frogot, so, pedigree matters, quite a bit