Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I've never been real good with hatching . . .

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 27, 2009
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I am wondering how some players (you see them often in PvP) get the so-called "perfect pet." This means, they have both spell proof and spell defy with spritely and increased damage. How is this done? Is there just a lot of time, effort, (and money) put into this?
I have a pet with spell proof but I also want spell defy. Do I just find any pet who has it and try my luck?

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
I recently leveled my Wraith and Bravehound to adult, just to see what would happen when I went to the pet hatchery. The cost to hatch an egg with those 2 was 35,500 gold! I assumed it was so high because of my Wraith, she can hatch a unique pet when combined with other high level pets like her. So I leveled my Summer Dragon to adult to see if the cost would be lower with SD and BH. Strangely, the pet that was the best of those 3 was my BH. He casts Spritely and Myth Shield. Wraith adds 2% to my pip chance and starts me with 1 power pip. So now I'm leveling my Blue Cyclops to adult to see if the cost goes down. I only use Wraith and BH in battle, usually the BH.

I'm assuming my Wraith just didn't get a good upgrade when I leveled her to adult. I also think that my chances for a unique pet, if I am able to ever set up that hatch, would be slim since she doesn't have great skills right now, but I am NOT leveling her up again now just to see! The cost for a hatch with her would be gargantuan if she gets a good skill.

I'll stick with my BH since he rarely lets me down. I'd love one of those cool-looking, unique pets, but the cost is too high. Plus, whenever I try to join a ranked race so I can increase my pet pvp ranking, it takes forever and usually I end up leaving the queue since no one else ever joins to race me.

Neela Waterwraith, Level 53, Grandmaster Necromancer

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Funny Doodaddle because I have been doing roughly the same as you.

I have a brave hound which is great, but I wanted something better. So I hatched my wraith with the ghost dragon, which has a nice list of talents. I got a better wraith. I hatched the better wraith with my ghost dragon again and I lucked out with an even better 3rd generation wraith.

When I researched other "high pedigree" pets that are easily available I found they aren't super awsome. Epic talents are mostly card-giving talents which I don't think is helpfull as I can load my deck with whatever cards I want anyway. Specifically the Sea Dragon has several epic talents that just give a card.

Here is my theory on talents:
- The selfish pet attribute bonuses are obviously the least desirable.
- I don't like spell card talents. Seem like a waste to me. Especially if they are off-school spells.
- Health mana bonuses are good, especially for low level wizards. But become less usefull as the wizard becomes higher leveled. These bonuses don't "grow" with the wizard.
- Pip bonus is great for low level wizards, and still ok for higher level wizards.
- Spritely and unicorn are great and fun to watch during battle. Their benifit drops as the wizard grows though.
- Percent bonuses to the wizard (damage, resistance, etc) are the best because its percentage based, meaning the talent's benifit grows with the wizard. A 10% bonus is great regardless a wizards level.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2011
RottenHeart on Oct 26, 2012 wrote:
Funny Doodaddle because I have been doing roughly the same as you.

I have a brave hound which is great, but I wanted something better. So I hatched my wraith with the ghost dragon, which has a nice list of talents. I got a better wraith. I hatched the better wraith with my ghost dragon again and I lucked out with an even better 3rd generation wraith.

When I researched other "high pedigree" pets that are easily available I found they aren't super awsome. Epic talents are mostly card-giving talents which I don't think is helpfull as I can load my deck with whatever cards I want anyway. Specifically the Sea Dragon has several epic talents that just give a card.

Here is my theory on talents:
- The selfish pet attribute bonuses are obviously the least desirable.
- I don't like spell card talents. Seem like a waste to me. Especially if they are off-school spells.
- Health mana bonuses are good, especially for low level wizards. But become less usefull as the wizard becomes higher leveled. These bonuses don't "grow" with the wizard.
- Pip bonus is great for low level wizards, and still ok for higher level wizards.
- Spritely and unicorn are great and fun to watch during battle. Their benifit drops as the wizard grows though.
- Percent bonuses to the wizard (damage, resistance, etc) are the best because its percentage based, meaning the talent's benifit grows with the wizard. A 10% bonus is great regardless a wizards level.
I agree with most of your theories but there's one which no one can agree to- ' Spritely and unicorn are great and fun to watch during battle. Their benifit drops as the wizard grows though'
Sprite and Unicorn are always useful and never go useless. I am a expert hatcher and have a whole lot of perfect pets. Like- A spark beast with Storm Dealer(9% storm attack), storm giver(6% storm attack), pain giver(6% universal attack), proof(9% universal resist) and sprite( may cast)
And 35,000 is nothing, my hatches cost a minimum of 45,000

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Sorry, I didn't mean spritely and unicorn are useless. I just mean they have much more significant effect on a lower leveled wizard. They are good talents for sure and i like them. My 'list of talents' is in the order of my personal preference, and I just believe percent based talents are prefereable because they scale up with the wizard. But it depends on school, and battle strategy.

The real reason for the list is to emphasize about epic talents and pedigrees. Card giving talents drive a pets pedigree up. And lots of people assume high pedigree is better, when really its the specific talents that make a pet better. And the best combo of talents is defintely specific to a wizard.

Defender
Mar 09, 2011
My pet heals me (sprite) gives me better accuracy, gives me more health points (118, and when you have over 4000 it doesn't seem like much but it still helps) and looks really cool. He doesn't give me a spell, but Chance is my #1 choice when it comes to pets. I hatched my regular adult Fierce Hound (His name's Lucky, for those of you who care) with an epic Nightmare (who lives up to the epic part) and since then i've been training a Fierce Hound hybrid who has truly saved my life many times. I guess i just got lucky, (excuse the pun) but it was really quite easy and didn't cost too much.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
Update for everyone... I levelled both my Bravehound and Wraith to Ancient, relatively quickly using snacks they liked that filled up their characteristics that were lowest. That in itself took quite a bit of time as I listed the snacks I had that they liked in Myth and Death that were the highest points and right characteristics. I usually play the Maze Game (pizza for strength) because I score perfectly most of the time.

My BH got Buff Minion which isn't that useful to me since I usually don't summon a minion and he already had Spritely and Myth Shield (+25%). My Wraith got +50 Intelligence added to her +50 Power and now adds 4% to my Power Pips. The PP addition is a help since I don't use critical gear often, but the other two rare qualities seem to be useless other than to fill up when I start levelling her to Epic.

As of now, I still haven't attempted hatching anything. I can tell you that just about everyone who battles with me thinks my BH is awesome. Many battles he casts Spritely over and over again, sometimes twice in a row and often when I'm at 100% health. That talent alone makes him worth it, even though there are times when he doesn't cast a spell for ages!