Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What happens when you get to zero points

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
I have been playing the quests for years, but I wanted to play PVP, get to the rank of Sargent so I could learn conviction. I started with 500 points. I haven't won anything and wondered what happens when I hit zero. I just can't win against players who are warlords and above. I'm being matched according to my rank, and I'm a level 95, but I'm just learning pvp. It doesn't seem fair that I'll never make it to Sargent and learn conviction.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Sorceress Moria on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
I have been playing the quests for years, but I wanted to play PVP, get to the rank of Sargent so I could learn conviction. I started with 500 points. I haven't won anything and wondered what happens when I hit zero. I just can't win against players who are warlords and above. I'm being matched according to my rank, and I'm a level 95, but I'm just learning pvp. It doesn't seem fair that I'll never make it to Sargent and learn conviction.
Really nothing, you just maintain a low rank... that's about it I think.

I expect that you are just like me when I started,
I had poor gear, a poorly designed pet, a deck designed for PVE, and worst of all,,,,
a mindset of playing PVE in PVP, and that doesn't work.

First piece of advice, stay out of ranked until you have your deck and strategy setup.
The deck needs to flow and counter those across from you.
(This will be formed in countless battles in Practice PVP, where you see other strategies).

Second piece of advice, Craft your equipment if you don't want to visit Hades on a daily basis.

Third, start a garden so you can bring up a solid pet, with May cast Fairy, etc.

Fourth, Turn off all chat bubbles and windows when you PVP, if your chatting, then your
most likely not paying attention to what cards you have played or what's on your head, etc.

Fifth, Balance your deck, so you can go on the Offensive or drop back and go defensive,
whenever the case calls for it. Use your Side Deck, it is critical, as it can cover your
weakness, or could be used to generate an aggressive fast attack, etc, etc.

Sixth, if a minion shows up, kill it with a low pips attack, and do it fast.

Seven, If they put up more than one blade - remove them or counter them.
If they put up traps, counter the traps, as fast as possible.
If they put up a Global, counter that Global with your own, etc.
This is where deck flow comes into play, you need it to flow smooth, and
discarding fast when you need to, helps a great deal.

Eighth, and most important in my opinion, be aggressive... being aggressive means that
you go all out in the match, to win no matter what. Dig hard for the cards you need,
figure what they are trying to do and stop it. Guess at what their next few moves will most
likely be, and dig for the cards fast to counter it...... Scan how many pips they have,
how many blades, how many traps are on you, etc, etc. This is the key to what you
need to do next.

You can tell by their play, what they are going to try to do, and you need to move as
fast as possible to counter that. Moving fast, means digging into your side deck or
your main deck for the cards you need.

I have a simple rule I follow, I discard four cards every round.... any card that I may not need
in the next two rounds is discarded (except for a shield and/or a heal).

Try these very basic starter PVP rules out, and see if they helps.

If you wish to meet up and pratice PVP, let me know a date, time and realm, and I would be
happy to help with my limited knowledge.

Survivor
May 02, 2014
IcicleWar on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
Really nothing, you just maintain a low rank... that's about it I think.

I expect that you are just like me when I started,
I had poor gear, a poorly designed pet, a deck designed for PVE, and worst of all,,,,
a mindset of playing PVE in PVP, and that doesn't work.

First piece of advice, stay out of ranked until you have your deck and strategy setup.
The deck needs to flow and counter those across from you.
(This will be formed in countless battles in Practice PVP, where you see other strategies).

Second piece of advice, Craft your equipment if you don't want to visit Hades on a daily basis.

Third, start a garden so you can bring up a solid pet, with May cast Fairy, etc.

Fourth, Turn off all chat bubbles and windows when you PVP, if your chatting, then your
most likely not paying attention to what cards you have played or what's on your head, etc.

Fifth, Balance your deck, so you can go on the Offensive or drop back and go defensive,
whenever the case calls for it. Use your Side Deck, it is critical, as it can cover your
weakness, or could be used to generate an aggressive fast attack, etc, etc.

Sixth, if a minion shows up, kill it with a low pips attack, and do it fast.

Seven, If they put up more than one blade - remove them or counter them.
If they put up traps, counter the traps, as fast as possible.
If they put up a Global, counter that Global with your own, etc.
This is where deck flow comes into play, you need it to flow smooth, and
discarding fast when you need to, helps a great deal.

Eighth, and most important in my opinion, be aggressive... being aggressive means that
you go all out in the match, to win no matter what. Dig hard for the cards you need,
figure what they are trying to do and stop it. Guess at what their next few moves will most
likely be, and dig for the cards fast to counter it...... Scan how many pips they have,
how many blades, how many traps are on you, etc, etc. This is the key to what you
need to do next.

You can tell by their play, what they are going to try to do, and you need to move as
fast as possible to counter that. Moving fast, means digging into your side deck or
your main deck for the cards you need.

I have a simple rule I follow, I discard four cards every round.... any card that I may not need
in the next two rounds is discarded (except for a shield and/or a heal).

Try these very basic starter PVP rules out, and see if they helps.

If you wish to meet up and pratice PVP, let me know a date, time and realm, and I would be
happy to help with my limited knowledge.
That wrong dude I only did 1 practice pvp and jump right into rank pvp
And now I'm a ranked pvp captain.

Kymma lvl 16 Rank PVP captain

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Dark Kymma on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:

Maybe you just got lucky. It is usually a good idea to practice before you do ranked. Please don't try to sabotage people.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2013
Nothing really happens, you will just be down ranking.
Also, if you loose points you loose ranking and the points you have depend on your ranking, so it will take longer to get back up of you loose points.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Dark Kymma on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:

Dark Kymma,

I actually agree with you, you really don't need any Practice PvP to get to Captain. When you will need it
is when you get to Commander and above. That is when the battles will get harder, and the strategies
will be a bit more solid and fast paced. Wait till you hit Commander, and then come back and tell
me what you think then.