Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pay by Zone

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 21, 2010
I'm thinking about switching from membership to crowns. This is simply because I will go long periods, up to a year, without playing. I only play once or twice a week normally. But, I rush through the worlds which might be a reason NOT to do pay by zone. So, basically I'm just asking for some pros and cons of membership vs pay by zone.

-Morgan Legendheart level 51

Administrator
https://www.wizard101.com/game/options

Whether you purchase a Membership or Pay by Area, really depends on how you think you will play the game.

If you plan to push through as much of the content as possible in the shortest amount of time, then a month to month Membership is the best value for you.

If you plan to play several characters over a long period of time, then a 6month or 1year Membership is probably the best value for you.

If you only have a few hours a week to spare, or will hold off playing for long periods of time, then purchasing individual areas is the best value for your time. It allows you to purchase just the next street you need to progress, and once you've purchased an area, it's accessible to all your characters on that account. Purchasing individual areas lets you progress at your own pace without feeling like you have a Membership hanging over your head.

The prices for the individual areas can be found here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/areapricing

If you're not sure, then use the Free to Play portion of the game as your guide. See how fast you move through to the end of Triton Avenue, and gauge your passion and your available time accordingly.

community@wizard101.com
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Rainbow0839 on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
I'm thinking about switching from membership to crowns. This is simply because I will go long periods, up to a year, without playing. I only play once or twice a week normally. But, I rush through the worlds which might be a reason NOT to do pay by zone. So, basically I'm just asking for some pros and cons of membership vs pay by zone.

-Morgan Legendheart level 51
In addition to what the Professor has said, I'd like to offer my insight as a player who is now crowns only. There are a couple of key activities that make a membership critical (in my opinion). First, constant access to these forums. I only have access for a period of time after I make a crowns purchase (or at least that is how it has been in the past, I honestly haven't checked it out recently). Second, ranked PvP (either pet or people). If you are interested in that at all, I'd recommend a membership. If none of those are a big deal to you, then crowns may be the way to go. I like this game quite a lot, however I now play in spurts. I tend to make a lot of wizards as well so once an area is purchased it is purchased for all wizards on an account. Here's my bottom line summary:

If you meet the following:

A) Plan to play for more than a year
B) Are interested in filling your account with wizards
C) Play in spurts
D) Aren't interested in regular access to PvP or these forums
E) Are interested in having multiple accounts

Then I encourage you to consider crowns. Otherwise, a membership is likely advantageous to you. Oh, I should further mention, I believe if you have a membership your backpack(s) can hold more items, your pet training energy replenishes faster, and your cool down times (for crafting) are faster. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall those bonuses as well...