Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life and Death need new AoE spells

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
It's about time both Life and Death get a new AoE. Storm, Fire, Ice, and Myth all have at least three and Life and Death have one. Why is that. There should be a death spell like scarecrow. Were getting to a point in the game where 450 base damage is not enough even with blades, traps etc. Life could use a 1,000 damage AoE attack. Yes Forest Lord is strong but it cost 8 pips so it takes a while to get them, and by the time you get those 8 pips you already lost half your health and you need to heal. Spinysaur is awsome but I think we need another AoE spell. Does anyone else agree?

Survivor
Jun 29, 2011
yes. yes i do. i am a l lvl 26, i also have a lvl 90, but i started a new life char. i agree because life only with spinysaur, death i forgot, ice's lord of winter ( forgot othe ones ) storm's lord, levititan, (sry i spell wrong) and so on. i need more.

Survivor
May 21, 2012
AoE? What is that? Oh and the only attacking spells they give life are: Imp, Leprechaun, (Some I Forgot),
Centaur, Forest Lord, Gnome, and Spinysaur. Sandwich.

Sierra Spellmancer

Survivor
Dec 04, 2008
Privateer of Wizar... on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
AoE? What is that? Oh and the only attacking spells they give life are: Imp, Leprechaun, (Some I Forgot),
Centaur, Forest Lord, Gnome, and Spinysaur. Sandwich.

Sierra Spellmancer
AoE means area of effect/Hit all spells
here are all the hit all abilitys i know of that HURT the enemy;
Storm:Tempest, Storm Lord, Sirens
Ice:Blizzard, Frost Giant, Snow Angel, Lord of Winter
Fire:Scald, Meteor Strike, Fire Dragon, Rain of Fire, Sun Serpent
Life:Forest Lord
Death:Deer knight (crafted), Scarecrow, Avenging Fossil
Myth:Humongofrog, Earthquake
Balance:Sand Storm, Power Nova, Ra
Thats all i know of :D

~Robert Winterblade

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Maybe at level 40, they can make a hidden trainer to teach life and death multi-hits and other spells for the other schools.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
MustachCashDash on Jul 18, 2013 wrote:
It's about time both Life and Death get a new AoE. Storm, Fire, Ice, and Myth all have at least three and Life and Death have one. Why is that. There should be a death spell like scarecrow. Were getting to a point in the game where 450 base damage is not enough even with blades, traps etc. Life could use a 1,000 damage AoE attack. Yes Forest Lord is strong but it cost 8 pips so it takes a while to get them, and by the time you get those 8 pips you already lost half your health and you need to heal. Spinysaur is awsome but I think we need another AoE spell. Does anyone else agree?
I will agree that scarecrow's base value is low, but when you start buffing it, it is actually a very powerful spell. Here's one I did last night:

400 (base scarecrow)
+183 (Colossal)
=583 (pre blade total)
x1.4 (death blade)
=816
x1.3 (dark pact)
=1060
x1.45 (shango's deathblade item card)
=1,537
x1.35 (elemental blade)
=2,074 total damage per enemy (not counting critical, boost, or pet blade enhancements)

If you're fighting a boss fight by yourself, and blade like this, that's pretty much one dead minion. Sure you have to build up to it, but it gets there very quickly.

The problem many people have (because they've said so on this forum) is that if you make a stronger AoE Hit and Heal spell, people would say that death becomes too strong, and over powered, and not fair to PvP. Perhaps if we got a strong AoE that does NOT heal, it would be better. Perhaps a 600 base damage AoE with no healing effect that does virulent plague as an after effect. I thik that would be a fair compromise, but that's jsut my off the top of my head thoughts

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Ok let me just say that balance doesn't an aoe, but it needs a DOT.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I'd love it if Forest Lord Cub and Giant Spider were craftable spells for lvl 28-36 life. A true life damage bubble is worth spending almost any amount of gold, amber, and tc's for.

Death needs a small "pinger" spell at the 3 or 4 pip slot. Something that doesn't heal or leave an afterburn, just a simple sweeper or finisher about the same size as Sandstorm. Most deaths I know have completely removed Banshee from the deck by the time they are able to pick up Vampire. That's a waste of a slot and a big gap in utility at 3 pips.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Life needs a DoT and another AoE, but I don't see them getting them in the near future. Life was meant to be a healing school, not a damage school. Period.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
As a necromancer i have to agree, even with colossal and a few blades scarecrow does a pitiful amount, it's so annoying when you have at least five blades and it does only about two thousand five hundred, maybe for a rank eleven spell we could have at least eight hundred damage and life steal to all?

By the way, if colossal affected life steal spells how they affected other spells that would be nice.

James ThunderBlade, level eighty four Necromancer

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
JamesNecromancer on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
As a necromancer i have to agree, even with colossal and a few blades scarecrow does a pitiful amount, it's so annoying when you have at least five blades and it does only about two thousand five hundred, maybe for a rank eleven spell we could have at least eight hundred damage and life steal to all?

By the way, if colossal affected life steal spells how they affected other spells that would be nice.

James ThunderBlade, level eighty four Necromancer
I would MUCH rather see it be less than 11 pips to cast. As it is, I stopped carrying Rain of Fire on my fire and with rare exception, wont carry anything above Wraith or Scarecrow on my death because the pip wait is just too much. You can cast 3 wraiths for the price of 2 dr von's and do more damage. You can cast 2.5 scarecrows for the price of 2 Dr Von's. To me, spells above 7 pips just aren't worth the wait while you're getting pounded on by enemies. I know, Dr Von's, boosted the way I demonstrated earlier would make a much bigger single hit, but it can't outdo 3 hits of wraith. Using the same boosting I showed earlier, for the same amount of pips (18 - that's 2 dr von's), you'd have:

3 Wraith - 7,299
2 Scarecrow - 4,154 (with 4 or 5 pips waiting for the next scarecrow)
2 Dr Von's - 7,146

Sure it's close, but with 3 attack, I can finish off a minion and then dedicate the third to the boss in a 2on1 fight. Now, I don't PvP and I haven't gotten out of avalon, but I don't see myself changing gears just yet. I would much rather have a 4 pip AoE that doesnt heal that I could use 3 times in place of an 11 pip spell.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
dayerider on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I would MUCH rather see it be less than 11 pips to cast. As it is, I stopped carrying Rain of Fire on my fire and with rare exception, wont carry anything above Wraith or Scarecrow on my death because the pip wait is just too much. You can cast 3 wraiths for the price of 2 dr von's and do more damage. You can cast 2.5 scarecrows for the price of 2 Dr Von's. To me, spells above 7 pips just aren't worth the wait while you're getting pounded on by enemies. I know, Dr Von's, boosted the way I demonstrated earlier would make a much bigger single hit, but it can't outdo 3 hits of wraith. Using the same boosting I showed earlier, for the same amount of pips (18 - that's 2 dr von's), you'd have:

3 Wraith - 7,299
2 Scarecrow - 4,154 (with 4 or 5 pips waiting for the next scarecrow)
2 Dr Von's - 7,146

Sure it's close, but with 3 attack, I can finish off a minion and then dedicate the third to the boss in a 2on1 fight. Now, I don't PvP and I haven't gotten out of avalon, but I don't see myself changing gears just yet. I would much rather have a 4 pip AoE that doesnt heal that I could use 3 times in place of an 11 pip spell.
But we already have DeerKnight, I would like a more powerful attack, even if it wasn't a life steal.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
dayerider on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
I will agree that scarecrow's base value is low, but when you start buffing it, it is actually a very powerful spell. Here's one I did last night:

400 (base scarecrow)
+183 (Colossal)
=583 (pre blade total)
x1.4 (death blade)
=816
x1.3 (dark pact)
=1060
x1.45 (shango's deathblade item card)
=1,537
x1.35 (elemental blade)
=2,074 total damage per enemy (not counting critical, boost, or pet blade enhancements)

If you're fighting a boss fight by yourself, and blade like this, that's pretty much one dead minion. Sure you have to build up to it, but it gets there very quickly.

The problem many people have (because they've said so on this forum) is that if you make a stronger AoE Hit and Heal spell, people would say that death becomes too strong, and over powered, and not fair to PvP. Perhaps if we got a strong AoE that does NOT heal, it would be better. Perhaps a 600 base damage AoE with no healing effect that does virulent plague as an after effect. I thik that would be a fair compromise, but that's jsut my off the top of my head thoughts
But when you're in azteca scarecrow isn't enough, even with 2000 damage the enemy will only be done to half half.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
JamesNecromancer on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
But when you're in azteca scarecrow isn't enough, even with 2000 damage the enemy will only be done to half half.
All I keep hearing is how, with rare exception, or unless you're an ice wizard, Azteca is NOT for soloing. So, I can imagine it is very difficult if you're soloing it.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
But we already have DeerKnight, I would like a more powerful attack, even if it wasn't a life steal.
yeah, but Deer Night is NOT a guaranteed spell and not everybody has it. The crafted spells all have the same issue; it takes a long time to get. It's not a fair statement to say, "You have a stronger spell if you would just get it" when others get it freely (school or quest spell). Perhaps it's time for death to have a USEFUL X-pip spell that's AoE.

X-pip attack spells (value and target in parenthesis)

Balance - Judgement (100, 1), Mana Burn (80, 1)
Fire - heckhound (130, 1)
Storm - Tempest (80, all)

So, only 3 schools have X-pip spells and I think here is a case for having another X-pip. It would solve 2 issues in one shot; give us a USEFUL x-pip spell attack (generation 1 minions are mostly useless from the time you get them) and give us a good AoE spell. Now, with this, it would have to be a straight attack spell. So, what about 100 per pip to all enemies? At 6 pips, it's stronger than scarecrow, costs less, and doesn't heal. Isn't that exactly the type of compromise that people want to see? Not being over powered and not doing a health boost? It's a single attack, no secondary affect spell. Death mages get the spell they want and everybody else gets to agree it's not overpowered

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
dayerider on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
All I keep hearing is how, with rare exception, or unless you're an ice wizard, Azteca is NOT for soloing. So, I can imagine it is very difficult if you're soloing it.
I didn't say I was having a hard time with it, I'm actually enjoying it a lot.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
JamesNecromancer on Jul 24, 2013 wrote:
I didn't say I was having a hard time with it, I'm actually enjoying it a lot.
well THAT's good :) Like I said, I havent progressed that far. I had to stop my pyro because I jsut couldnt win without help, and then started a death wizard to help a friend of mine out when she was new, and now my death has become better than my pyro and I'm still advancing. haven't gotten to where my pyro is yet, so the judgement is still out

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
so, I'm in Azteca now and am having no problem at all. I haven't gotten out of Saltmeadow Swamp yet, but with Sharpened Dark Pact, Sharpened Death Blade, Death Blade and item death blade, that's a ton of stacking and kills most things quickly

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
That's when the +150 with feint and enchant feint come in...

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Wizgamer105 on Sep 21, 2013 wrote:
That's when the +150 with feint and enchant feint come in...
I've been using sharpened deathblade, deathblade, item deathblade and been having a decent time of it so far. When I meat up against myth, I just do a few potent traps/regular trap combos and it does jsut fine

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
dayerider on Sep 22, 2013 wrote:
I've been using sharpened deathblade, deathblade, item deathblade and been having a decent time of it so far. When I meat up against myth, I just do a few potent traps/regular trap combos and it does jsut fine
Good for you. Being balance and having weaker blades I had to use double feints for most mob fights in later Azteca. That made it easier to solo, so I did that instead of complain how tough the mobs are, like other people do.