Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Malistaire or Morganthe?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 30, 2013
Who do you like more, Malistaire or Morganthe?

Personally, I prefer Malistaire because he is a good guy trying to do bad things for the right reasons.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
I agree Morganthe to my knowledge just wants revenge malistair
Misses his wife and is desperate to get her back

So in short malistair good guy-but just wants his wife back Morganthe-evil wants revenge

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
I prefer Malistaire

He had a story, a good one that made us love/hate him at the same time. With Morganthe, we just hate her

I also feel bad for Malistaire. He went crazy because of his wife's death....he wasn't really evil

Angela DS

Historian
May 06, 2009
wizardrokz on Jul 8, 2013 wrote:
I prefer Malistaire

He had a story, a good one that made us love/hate him at the same time. With Morganthe, we just hate her

I also feel bad for Malistaire. He went crazy because of his wife's death....he wasn't really evil

Angela DS
I've always wondered this: Is it bad just to hate Morganthe or any villian? Do we have to love/hate/be sympathetic about Morganthe?

I think Morganthe was designed to be simply hated. She really has no care for who she crushes and keeps her eyes on the prize. Plus since we don't know her motives, it makes her end way more excited and surprising than knowing why the do it (as it makes their end more expected and a little less surprising -just a little-). I rather like Morganthe (I honestly like both, but Morganthe has more interest to me, right now, and Malistaire already finished his arc and there weren't may questions to ask about his arc). I also like that she's different from Malistaire and not another sympathetic villian because over time that will get old (it's like watching a drama after drama after drama back-to-back. After awhile, you'll get tired of "awing", crying, or feeling bad for someone because you would have done it a million times. I found it smart to not do another sympathy villian after we just defeated one. (Plus they brought him back so...)

I also like how Morganthe's story is a little stronger in some areas and a little darker. Morganthe makes more appearances than Malistaire and we rarely saw him through that whole arc (only 4 times). Admittedly, most of it was cleaning up his messes. Like MooShu lacked urgency to get to Dragonspyre as it was very calm and we had heal the Emporer who Malistaire wounded and then ran off. It was like he was always a step ahead without seeing him.
With Morganthe we're alittle closer to her, though like Malistaire (minus Dragonspyre), we have no idea why she's doing it or what she's doing. But I like how Morganthe has to do more work than Malistaire. All he had to do was get a book, the Krokonomicon, then go to Dragonspyre and use the Dragon Titan. It kinda seemed played out (still a very good Arc. One of my favorites). Morganthe has to learn magic, get her powers back, execute prophecy, then take over the Spiral. I find that leads to a lot more to be told (and there was). Plus her story got to get very dark in some places which is something I like in a story. For example, she bribed many people, caused the death of a few NPC's, destroyed 2 worlds, and has done dispicable things even at a young age.
However, I'll admitt her story can beguile some and be very confusing. Also she's less sympethic and emotional than some would like, but you simply can't please everyone.

Overall, I think both Malistaire and Morganthe are great villians and show different sides of what makes a good villian. If we can combined them, I think we'd have an epic villian!

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
I like Malistaire, he has a really deep storyline and it's hard to tell who he really is inside.

Wow that sounds creepy XD

Explorer
Sep 25, 2010
Personally i prefer Morganthe, she may have a hidden backstory that leaves us guessing but thats kinda what i like. The next part is a serious spoiler just skip down a to the if you don't know the ending of azteca. Morganthe did get the comet xibalba to hit azteca, she's a successful villain. Her hidden backstory leaves lots of room for creativity and fan fictions. I don't like malistaire because he's the old original that we all know and love, but personally i don't love him. I like morganthe because i have written several fan fictions on her and her backstory as i've previously mentioned because the biggest reason that i like her. But this is just my opinion.

Scarlet Dragonpetal

Explorer
Jun 30, 2013
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 8, 2013 wrote:
I've always wondered this: Is it bad just to hate Morganthe or any villian? Do we have to love/hate/be sympathetic about Morganthe?

I think Morganthe was designed to be simply hated. She really has no care for who she crushes and keeps her eyes on the prize. Plus since we don't know her motives, it makes her end way more excited and surprising than knowing why the do it (as it makes their end more expected and a little less surprising -just a little-). I rather like Morganthe (I honestly like both, but Morganthe has more interest to me, right now, and Malistaire already finished his arc and there weren't may questions to ask about his arc). I also like that she's different from Malistaire and not another sympathetic villian because over time that will get old (it's like watching a drama after drama after drama back-to-back. After awhile, you'll get tired of "awing", crying, or feeling bad for someone because you would have done it a million times. I found it smart to not do another sympathy villian after we just defeated one. (Plus they brought him back so...)

I also like how Morganthe's story is a little stronger in some areas and a little darker. Morganthe makes more appearances than Malistaire and we rarely saw him through that whole arc (only 4 times). Admittedly, most of it was cleaning up his messes. Like MooShu lacked urgency to get to Dragonspyre as it was very calm and we had heal the Emporer who Malistaire wounded and then ran off. It was like he was always a step ahead without seeing him.
With Morganthe we're alittle closer to her, though like Malistaire (minus Dragonspyre), we have no idea why she's doing it or what she's doing. But I like how Morganthe has to do more work than Malistaire. All he had to do was get a book, the Krokonomicon, then go to Dragonspyre and use the Dragon Titan. It kinda seemed played out (still a very good Arc. One of my favorites). Morganthe has to learn magic, get her powers back, execute prophecy, then take over the Spiral. I find that leads to a lot more to be told (and there was). Plus her story got to get very dark in some places which is something I like in a story. For example, she bribed many people, caused the death of a few NPC's, destroyed 2 worlds, and has done dispicable things even at a young age.
However, I'll admitt her story can beguile some and be very confusing. Also she's less sympethic and emotional than some would like, but you simply can't please everyone.

Overall, I think both Malistaire and Morganthe are great villians and show different sides of what makes a good villian. If we can combined them, I think we'd have an epic villian!
That's a very good point.

Defender
Jul 03, 2012
ThomasSkyshard on Jul 7, 2013 wrote:
Who do you like more, Malistaire or Morganthe?

Personally, I prefer Malistaire because he is a good guy trying to do bad things for the right reasons.
Looks like my post (Malistaire is not evil) changed everyones mind about poor Malistaire
But Ya, Malistaire all the way while Morganthe is wanting revenge.

!Malistare fan all the way!
-Time

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
This original message has been removed.
Can you please stay on topic? Anyways, I prefer Malistare since he actually has a reason to do the bad things, Morganthe you just hate, you do not know her reasons for being evil.
-Jasmine FireBlade, level 86 pyromancer.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Mali! Mali! Mali!! He has a very, very, good reason to be evil, and Morganthe doesn't! (BTW, her name is weird, it sounds like Morganth, (Mor-gan-ith) when it is spelled like Morganthe, which would sound better!(Mor-gan-thee))

Explorer
Jun 30, 2013
Alura BH on Jul 10, 2013 wrote:
Mali! Mali! Mali!! He has a very, very, good reason to be evil, and Morganthe doesn't! (BTW, her name is weird, it sounds like Morganth, (Mor-gan-ith) when it is spelled like Morganthe, which would sound better!(Mor-gan-thee))
Malistaire for life :D

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
I think almost everyone would have to say Malistaire. After all he is they guy you have been trying to stop seance the tutorial of the game. And while he is a bad guy he is only doing it because he wants his wife back.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2013
I don't get Malistaire. His wife died so now he's trying to destroy the the Spiral and everyone in it?!? What did they do it's now their fault, so um why is he doing this? Can anyone please tell me why

Katie Duskleaf, level 28

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
Malistaire all the way. He is just a broken and sad man and he just chooses the wrong way to avenge his wife's legacy

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
well i only know about malistaire, but i like him better

Survivor
Jan 30, 2013
Morganthe. I like her the best because she is a female, and she is BEAST!

Survivor
May 08, 2012
Scarlet Fever on Jul 9, 2013 wrote:
Personally i prefer Morganthe, she may have a hidden backstory that leaves us guessing but thats kinda what i like. The next part is a serious spoiler just skip down a to the if you don't know the ending of azteca. Morganthe did get the comet xibalba to hit azteca, she's a successful villain. Her hidden backstory leaves lots of room for creativity and fan fictions. I don't like malistaire because he's the old original that we all know and love, but personally i don't love him. I like morganthe because i have written several fan fictions on her and her backstory as i've previously mentioned because the biggest reason that i like her. But this is just my opinion.

Scarlet Dragonpetal
I agree she is successful