Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Current Ranked PvP & Derby

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Change is never easy, young Wizards. As we go forward with some changes to our Player vs Player matching system and rewards system, it is necessary for us to put everyone back on the same level playing field.To do this, we will be ending what is called the 'First Age' of PvP in Wizard101. This means that you will receive a badge that reflects the PvP and Derby badge you earned the day this update was applied to the Live Game. You will be able to display this badge at any time.

We will begin the Second Age of Wizard101 PvP with the following changes:
  • Player vs Player team match formulas have been adjusted and will now rely even more heavily on the level of the Wizards. This should finally reduce uneven team matching and prevent "puppet teams".
  • To help offset the initial advantage of going first in a duel, the team that goes second will gain an extra Pip, or potentially a Power Pip, depending on the individual's Pip Chance.
  • We have also made changes that will reduce the time you have to wait for a match to be made, both in the Player vs Player Matches as well as in the Pet Derby matches.
  • New Leaderboards are available in the game for you to keep track of your ranking in Ranked PvP. These Leaderboards are not available outside of the game.
  • Arena Ticket rewards for Ranked PvP wins and losses are now based on the PvP Title of the individual who competed in the duel
  • New rewards are available to be purchased with Arena Tickets!
  • You can now place a PvP Kiosk in your home and access PvP & Derby from the comfort of your castle.
  • An Azteca themed Arena has been added to the mix!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jan 31, 2012
Wow! I think that will be fun! Personally, I never really liked PvP, and whenever I tried ranked as a grandmaster, my team was always journeymen, and the other team, prometheans or archmages! I lost so much, my rank is basically at ZERO. So, the fair team thing will be a big help :) Thanks for the update! I'll keep trying!

With newfound hope,

-Erica N.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Although I agree with many of the changes for PVP, I do not agree with resetting everyones Rank back to 000. I have been a member for many years, and pay for more than one account for my family, some wizards have worked for years to achieve high overlord number ranks and you have effectively erased those years! of hard earned work. I can see starting over to a point but to lose rank that establishes you well over 1 or 2 thousand is not fair to those of us who have put in all of those years of work establishing those numbers. We paid for our membership and earned that rank and I do not feel it was right is taking the rank away.

You could have at least given us a choice to either keep our our rank, with the new title and not be able to compete in the new PVP or to lose our rank, reset to 000 and then be able to use that wizard again in PVP.

I for one would have retired my wizard and started fresh with another new wizard.

I am saddened that you made the choice for us, when I feel it should have been left up to us individually to chose which wizards to reset. Again, it is disheartening to lose years and years worth of work!

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
I Agree, lots of hard work lost. Give us back our rank. I can't use my equipment bought in the pvp arena and can't use until I get my rank level back.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Giving an extra pip to the player that goes second will make things a little more fair but that is not fixing the actual problem. The real problem with PvP being unfair is that the player that goes second cannot see their oponents turn before theirs. The problem is both players choose their spells at the same time. It should be one after the other like Yu-Gi-Oh cards. That way neither player is guessing what their oponent is going to do.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2010
Well, I think change is usually painful. Speaking as someone who has never gotten past captain in ranked pvp, I am thrilled that kingsile is revamping the pvp system to even out the odds. I believe that if I were a commander or warlord, however, I would be quite angry at having to start over. They did allow you to keep your status as the best by allowing for a first age badge so your prestige is still in tact. Think of it as a new challenge to see if you still have what it takes to climb the new ranks. Hopefully I may get a chance to beat some of you in the future. :)

Sestiva Shadowstrider
Promethean Necromancer

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
My friend and I STILL are pvping warlords...and we both are private. D:

Explorer
Aug 23, 2012
I really like this change. Some people got over 6,000 ranks through puppet teaming, and it sets them right, and makes them earn points "legit". KI also made it so that no matter what rank you win/lose to, you always win/lose 16 points. (I know this because I did a 1v1 on my ice after ranks got resetted, it was my first match, and I won against a knight.) Before this, I would have gained 20+ points, but they made it fair for everyone. I like this update.

Survivor
Sep 02, 2012
So my pvp partner and I, level 17 & 18 balance, were matched with a level 5 life and level 55 ice.

I thought the uneven matching was fixed??

Survivor
Apr 01, 2010
Obviously you have failed with pvp. I'm not getting anyone near my level. I get nonstop level 90s as a level 80 warlord. The 90s have about 200-400rank. It doesnt depend on level. >.>

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
i think it all is wrong i spent years of pvp and had an honest rank never used puppets did it all 1v1 mostly. And now you do this and still let folks use jade gear and sit there doing nothing untill they can kill you by minion or massive traps which you cant remove btw. so at least ban the use of shatter and or jade gear altogether. ive been a loyal wiz 101 player for 4 yrs now and i dont want to subsribe this year because of this! and if you lookat the leaderboard its all for low lvl players to get high ranks against folks they know they can beat lol, what a bad idea this has been!

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
Ok, I'm warlord now for 2nd age and I CAN'T FIND the badge at all in badges. Where is it? I have no clue. I:

PLEASE tell me

Survivor
Jul 25, 2012
Based on the support comment I got back to a similar question on 2nd age pvp badges. There will only be badges for the previous age. The current age rank does not have a badge. This seems very strange to me. I worked hard for my rank and would like to show it off. KI please allow a current age badge for pvp rank.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2012
Was wondering about the point system on PVP. I 2v2 with a partner. We are both warlords, same character leve but of differnt schools, I am fire and he is ice. When we win a battle, he gets 16 points and I only get 15 points. When we lose, I lose 16 points and he only loses 15 points. Why is this? We have the same amount of losses but I have 8 more wins than he does from the 1v1 battles I have done. In points as of today he is only one point behind me since he gets an extra point from wins and loses one less. If the points were the same I should have about 75 more points than my partner. Again I ask, why is this? Are the points different based on school rather than rank?

Explorer
May 25, 2009
Okay, I'm fine with all of this.
Except the heavily level thing.
(As much as I hate puppets, this is even more frustrating)
So my team, ALL privates pretty much below 400, go against a warlord, a captain, a private, and another rank (I forgot).
This is unfair. We obviously lost.
Fix, please?

Survivor
Jul 06, 2012
just got to say you kingisle need to fix the point system in t new pvp.i lot 12 matchs and only have a rank of 200 now what the wolrd? how is that fair..i lose more points when I lose then when I win making it not possible to get back to 500 fix this please I will not pvp until it is fixed

Survivor
May 27, 2009
dear kingsislethis is my first ever post on the message board i would like to say i love the new pvp system it is great i disagree with the reshuffle changes though because it seems that you have made matches shorter by doing this cause people complained about matches being to long but now you have created what i would call a loop of spammers people now know that the matches are time based they take jade gear an other resist type gears an use them in 1v1 2v2 3v3 an 4v4 to get rank its not cheap as it was before with puppet but this problem is similar for storm wizards we have a lot of damage yes but that does not help when against jade also i recomend taking away both jade gear an storms massive critical gear as well to make it fair for all wizards :) from your local neighborhood zachary lionsword :)

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
So get rid of the puppeting (which still exists), level based? I'm a level 50 warlord, everytime I 2v2 3v3 4v4 with someone between levels 40-55, it matches us vs LEVEL 90's, yes, NINE ZERO, all of them 90, it's beyond ridiculous and it's FAR from being "fixed". I'm not sure about you guys, but I know I'd rather face one 90 and one level 2 or whatever, than TWO 90s....SICK fix, way to be level based, good job guys

Explorer
Jul 16, 2012
Ghost stone on Apr 27, 2013 wrote:
Giving an extra pip to the player that goes second will make things a little more fair but that is not fixing the actual problem. The real problem with PvP being unfair is that the player that goes second cannot see their oponents turn before theirs. The problem is both players choose their spells at the same time. It should be one after the other like Yu-Gi-Oh cards. That way neither player is guessing what their oponent is going to do.
That gives the second player an unfair advantage. There are larger problems to deal with.

Apr 28, 2010
Professor Greyrose on Apr 24, 2013 wrote:
Change is never easy, young Wizards. As we go forward with some changes to our Player vs Player matching system and rewards system, it is necessary for us to put everyone back on the same level playing field.To do this, we will be ending what is called the 'First Age' of PvP in Wizard101. This means that you will receive a badge that reflects the PvP and Derby badge you earned the day this update was applied to the Live Game. You will be able to display this badge at any time.

We will begin the Second Age of Wizard101 PvP with the following changes:
  • Player vs Player team match formulas have been adjusted and will now rely even more heavily on the level of the Wizards. This should finally reduce uneven team matching and prevent "puppet teams".
  • To help offset the initial advantage of going first in a duel, the team that goes second will gain an extra Pip, or potentially a Power Pip, depending on the individual's Pip Chance.
  • We have also made changes that will reduce the time you have to wait for a match to be made, both in the Player vs Player Matches as well as in the Pet Derby matches.
  • New Leaderboards are available in the game for you to keep track of your ranking in Ranked PvP. These Leaderboards are not available outside of the game.
  • Arena Ticket rewards for Ranked PvP wins and losses are now based on the PvP Title of the individual who competed in the duel
  • New rewards are available to be purchased with Arena Tickets!
  • You can now place a PvP Kiosk in your home and access PvP & Derby from the comfort of your castle.
  • An Azteca themed Arena has been added to the mix!
Today i was pvping on my warlord balance lvl 50 and it took 10 minute to get one match that way too long.. and it made me face with a level 69 fire...that just unfair. pvp should be compared by level because it is really hard to battle some one level 19 higher then you..i no i didn't get fight with allot of people because my rank is high but it should be level.. my friend he pvp 10 before i pvp 1 and we same level :(