Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I am annoyed

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 23, 2014
So today I started PvP and I am not too bad. I mean I have dont before. I got to Commander in a couple of hours but I needed some tickets so I decided to fight some more. I go on and click 1v1. When I do I face a level 68 storm warlord. I am only a level 5 ice . He goes first and immediately uses triton and kills me. So I decide to try another and again a level 45 Balance , he uses a blade then quickly follows with judgement. I try again a level 48 Fire . All of them are Warlords. I have now dropped a lot. Why do I face these people? Can someone please help me?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Squirrel The Hero on Jan 15, 2015 wrote:
So today I started PvP and I am not too bad. I mean I have dont before. I got to Commander in a couple of hours but I needed some tickets so I decided to fight some more. I go on and click 1v1. When I do I face a level 68 storm warlord. I am only a level 5 ice . He goes first and immediately uses triton and kills me. So I decide to try another and again a level 45 Balance , he uses a blade then quickly follows with judgement. I try again a level 48 Fire . All of them are Warlords. I have now dropped a lot. Why do I face these people? Can someone please help me?
You face them because PvP does not work correctly; it never has and probably never will. There is never any reason to have a level 5 anyone go against a level 45+ wizard. Ever. This is the main reason I don't bother with PvP. It's broken and even after "fixing" it, it remains broken.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
The way I've heard it described, the developers changed the match-up system for 2nd Age PvP so it can find matches quickly even when there aren't many opponents. This results in absurd match-ups quite often, like what you are describing, but it does ensure that matches are made.

Right now, you have a few options for what to do next.
  • You can quit PvP until it gets fixed. You wouldn't be alone in this, I read about people quitting almost daily because the system is appallingly bad.
  • You can ignore it and keep playing anyway. Somehow go zen and let the annoyance slip right off you. I don't recommend it, it's just an exercise in denial.
  • You can level up and use higher level abilities to your advantage. Up to you, but the group that is completely protected from absurd match-ups is Level 100 (ie the level cap).

Hoping 3rd Age comes quick and blows us all away.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Lucas Rain on Jan 16, 2015 wrote:
The way I've heard it described, the developers changed the match-up system for 2nd Age PvP so it can find matches quickly even when there aren't many opponents. This results in absurd match-ups quite often, like what you are describing, but it does ensure that matches are made.

Right now, you have a few options for what to do next.
  • You can quit PvP until it gets fixed. You wouldn't be alone in this, I read about people quitting almost daily because the system is appallingly bad.
  • You can ignore it and keep playing anyway. Somehow go zen and let the annoyance slip right off you. I don't recommend it, it's just an exercise in denial.
  • You can level up and use higher level abilities to your advantage. Up to you, but the group that is completely protected from absurd match-ups is Level 100 (ie the level cap).

Hoping 3rd Age comes quick and blows us all away.
From what I remember, the first age had just as many bad match-ups, such as, if I remember correctly, my level 8 balance at about warlord range, would fight level 40+ players. In fact, it was probably worse, because if a warlord beat a private, the warlord would get somewhere around 4 rating, sometimes, if the private was extremely low rank, even 0 rating, while if the private won, the warlord would lose about 30 rating. Honestly, there are a few solutions that would work if enough people did pvp, but no matter what solution arises, if you want fairer matches, you have to sacrifice the amount of matches, which could be a major problem, especially in team matches, which are hard to get to begin with.