Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Training a Sea Turtle? Help Please!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 20, 2011
I want to begin to train a Sea Turtle, but I don't understand how training pets work? I've gotten Spritely more times than I can count, and have had three pets with Spell Proof, but I'm pretty sure it was accidental training that gave me these talents. These are the talents that I really want from my Sea Turtle:
Life-Shot (Accuracy)
Spell Proof (Resistance)
Life-Giver (Damage)
Spritely (May Cast Heal)
Blade of Life or Lifeblade (Both give an extra Lifeblade, though one is May Cast)

Is there a certain way I should train in order to get these talents? Should I get more than one Sea Turtle, get one to get some and the other to get the others, hatch and see? Suggestions? Please and thank you!

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Training doesn't influence what talents you get. Talents come from hatching with pets that have them.

Survivor
Nov 20, 2011
Is that really true? I find it hard to believe because I see so many people with "perfect" pets that have three heals and two resists. I don't want to believe that those talents came from the "luck of the draw"?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Roslyn Gem on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
Is that really true? I find it hard to believe because I see so many people with "perfect" pets that have three heals and two resists. I don't want to believe that those talents came from the "luck of the draw"?
It's not from training or blind luck but from selective hatching. You need to hatch with pets that have the talents you want.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2014
Well if you are looking to train your Sea Turtle with those talents you wanna make sure it has those talents in its jeans. So if it doesnt have those jeans you may wanna look into hatching with a pet that has those talents. If your Sea Turtles do have those talents in its jeans then i recommend training strength and agility maybe even will if you choose to do that.

Robert Gold Lvl 43

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
You can search the internet to find out your pet's innate talents (i.e., its starting gene pool). Then you have to breed with another type of pet to get the additional talents you want. From what I've read it takes at least six generations of hatching to get the perfect pet. Sometimes you don't get the right talents or even the right pet.

My advice is to take screen prints of each pet that you hatch with so you can create a family tree. I didn't do that, and now I can't remember which pets I've hatched with or even how many generations I've done. That information is helpful when you're trying to decide how far to train a pet.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Roslyn Gem on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
Let me clear up a few things you don't seem to understand about talents and pets.

1.Every pet is hatched with 10 possible talents.

2. With 1st Generation pets (bought, dropped or from quest) those 10 talents vary from pet type to pet type, but ALL pets of the same type have all the same 10 starting talents. They will learn only 5 of them and you need to train them to see which 5 you get.

3. Hatched pets from mixing pets in the hatchery work a little different. They get 10 possible talents from a blend of their parents 20 possible talents. from those 10 they learn 5. This blending is where the magic happens in creating perfect pets. You need to keep mixing and hatching, and mixing and hatching, over and over and over to get pets that have all the talents you want in one pet.

A previous post mentioned at least 6 generations, I think that complete fantasy. 6 generations would mean you got exactly every talent you wanted hatched into every generation to create 5 talents in one pet. In luck terms, that would be like getting dealt a Royal Flush 5 times in a row. Creating perfect pets takes a lot of time and work and I wouldn't expect any great results for at least 15-20 generations. "Success" in creating perfect pets is really creating a lot of near perfect pets that will eventually hatch the perfect one.

Survivor
Nov 20, 2011
I don't think people understand what I was asking, despite being so helpful to give me a little more insight on how hatching works.
I have asked about specific talents, which I wouldn't have done unless I had researched "Sea Turtle" and found which talents that the pet had. I have asked about specific talents, but talents that are already provided by the First Generation Sea Turtle. This is the reason I asked if I should get two of the same pets and divide the work, then hatch to see if they got what I wanted.

That being said, here is the actual question. I apologize for being so vague earlier.

What should I train? Strength, Agility, Intelligence, or Will?
Also, does that even matter when it comes to training pets? Are the chances random?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Stats only affect how certain talents affect you. For instance Strength, Agility and Power will increase your resistance total on Spell Proof. Which stats you train or feed snacks for has no effect on what talent you get. Talents are set at hatching, and revealed through training. Training will never change what they are. If you want 5 specific talents that the Sea Turtle can get at 1st gen is still probably hatching with another pet. You should try to hatch out the "selfish" talents. No need to get a second Sea Turtle because that also doubles the selfish talents. Find someone with some of the same talents that you want to hatch with. At least start hatching with someone that has Spritely and Proof, then keep hatching your successful mixes back into your successful mixes until you get all the talents you want.