Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Turn off crowd chat option idea?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Okay.. I know i'm probably going to get a lecture from some people about this topic, but I just wanted to bring it up, whereas I know most who have played PvP in w101 have probably encountered what i'm about to say below:

Example:
You get into a pvp match and your opponent starts tormenting you, so you turn off the pvp chat to avoid seeing it.
What if your opponent has a ton of buddies watching the match in the crowd and begin to do the same thing? Wouldn't you like to be able to turn off the chat for the crowd? I know you probably get tired of seeing their rotten behavior (if they are bothering you)

I was just wondering what other people thought of this. I know there is an ignore button, but what if there's a major crowd and you can't ignore them all so quickly?

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
Yes I would like this idea, but also everywhere, and possibly a option to only see friends chats, I don't do much with other people, and when you enter a full realm there is a lot of talking, and sometimes i can't see what I want to, I like your idea though.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You mentioned blocking pvp enemy chat. But wouldn't turning off chat balloons and closing the chat window do the same for their friends? They could torment away and you won't see it. I'm not saying I'm against the idea, just that you can effectively do it already with current game settings.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Danielle EarthWalk... on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
Okay.. I know i'm probably going to get a lecture from some people about this topic, but I just wanted to bring it up, whereas I know most who have played PvP in w101 have probably encountered what i'm about to say below:

Example:
You get into a pvp match and your opponent starts tormenting you, so you turn off the pvp chat to avoid seeing it.
What if your opponent has a ton of buddies watching the match in the crowd and begin to do the same thing? Wouldn't you like to be able to turn off the chat for the crowd? I know you probably get tired of seeing their rotten behavior (if they are bothering you)

I was just wondering what other people thought of this. I know there is an ignore button, but what if there's a major crowd and you can't ignore them all so quickly?
This would be helpful. I think it should be added.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013
Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
That's never exactly happened to me, but I agree with you. Sometimes, I just get tired of seeing huge chat bubbles of people having conversations. Like, I'm in the middle of a quest and people start chatting and these huge annoying chat bubbles keep popping up. Totally get what you're saying. Wizard101 should add a option for that in a update.

Thats just my two cents.

-Rachel SilverBlossom

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009

Example:

No lecture needed, you would be defended on this topic by more than you think, its a great idea, the crowd causes one to many problems in Wizard101. Funny story: I did my 1st tournament on my lvl 12 balance, the crowd complained my match was "taking too long" and one guy said I was easy. In my 4th and final match, after losing 1 time and winning 2 times, I went again the guy who said I was easy, I beat him in the end and got 1st place, he got 2nd.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
I think this is a good Idea. You should be able to filter the chat that you can see in the options. And if someone cannot talk to you then they should see the no taking sign above your head so they know you cannot hear them.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2012

Example:

I agree a ton with you, I remember that I was in a ranked match with a friend and a lot of random people just showed up, they just came to hang out, I HATED it, it distracted me a TON. and they weren't even the opponents friends! they just talked nonstop. this would be a great idea.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
i do what seethe42 says, i turn off chat balloons at the arena so i dont see anybody's chat. I just to remember to put it back on once i go out cause we can't see any friends chat either.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009

Example:

Yeah, you already can, go to options (esc), then go to gameplay options then go to turn off chat balloons

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Luke StormSword on Dec 7, 2013 wrote:
No lecture needed, you would be defended on this topic by more than you think, its a great idea, the crowd causes one to many problems in Wizard101. Funny story: I did my 1st tournament on my lvl 12 balance, the crowd complained my match was "taking too long" and one guy said I was easy. In my 4th and final match, after losing 1 time and winning 2 times, I went again the guy who said I was easy, I beat him in the end and got 1st place, he got 2nd.
I agree 100%! I don't do tournaments, but I do ranked PvP every once in a while and I have to keep the chat blocked from my opponent almost 95% to 100% of the time, because they get so rude and complain about how long the battle takes or that i'm a weak opponent, or they start taunting, etc. It's not exactly fun in a way, whereas they also sometimes have friends that watch and then they all do the same exact thing, which really ruins the fun for me in the arena. My nephew plays Wizard101 as well, which is who I used to 2v2 with and he gets so much more annoyed with it to where he quit with the arena recently because of how much trash was being talked during 2v2 by the crowd with the opponents team friends.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
It is unbelievable the number of bullies that there are in everywhere mainly in arena. They start criticizing you, then if you don't react they insult you and tell you the most horrible things you can't imagine. Even kids without open chat find the way to turn normal words into insults.

I have a few screenshots of a few experiences, with the chat and wizard profile open, and I am going to report these users hoping them to get muted for a while.

If we all report them, we will make a better environment in the spiral.

*sorry for my English as is not my native language*

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Thesist on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
It is unbelievable the number of bullies that there are in everywhere mainly in arena. They start criticizing you, then if you don't react they insult you and tell you the most horrible things you can't imagine. Even kids without open chat find the way to turn normal words into insults.

I have a few screenshots of a few experiences, with the chat and wizard profile open, and I am going to report these users hoping them to get muted for a while.

If we all report them, we will make a better environment in the spiral.

*sorry for my English as is not my native language*
Yeah, I totally understand. I have open chat and I see a ton of people with text chat turning the words around the censors just so they can attempt to insult. It truly ruins pvp for the fun it used to have back in the beginning of when the game first released pvp. Now it's like who can use the best treasure cards to out last the opponent at any level, whether it's level 1 or level 30, etc. for pvp matches, then their buddies tend to insult whether you respond to them or not. It's unbelievable sometimes. They can be so harsh with their words, whether it's open chat or text chat.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Yup.. this is one thing I'd definitely support. The people in the crowd are one of the reasons I rarely foray into pvp.. and that's without the bullying opponents. Silencing the peanut gallery would be a huge step towards getting more people into pvp.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Joshua Starflame on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
Yup.. this is one thing I'd definitely support. The people in the crowd are one of the reasons I rarely foray into pvp.. and that's without the bullying opponents. Silencing the peanut gallery would be a huge step towards getting more people into pvp.
Indeed. People might head towards the arena much more likely in the future than in the current time frame if they were to implement this option. It really forces people to want to quit if people are pushing them away with taunts, insults, etc in the crowd, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't seem fair in a way.