Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do I understand this correctly?

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
The prehistoric bundle ($29.00) gives:
- 1 month subscription (worth $9.95)
- 1 flying mount
- robe, hat & boots with great stats
- prehistoric axe, far exceeding anything I can find in-game.
- items are not "a chance to recieve", but rather a packaged bundle.

I have been farming Cipactli for a couple weeks now. Defeated him roughly 50-100 times, maybe more, still haven't got it. I saw the Viridian wand in the crown shop which is a bit better. But now I just discover i could just buy a far better wand for essentially $20 at Walmart??? I thought I was farming for a good, unique game item. But now I find its junk compared to what I can buy at Walmart? I am a grown adult. I can afford $20. Why am I farming? Why am I playing this game?

This is not a game shortcut, "a matter of time vs crowns". Before I fly off in rage and then descend into depression, then cancel my membership, do i understand this correctly?

RottenHeart, the disheartened

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
Hi RottenHeart.

Just want to say that everyone has that feeling " Why i play this game? ".
Truth saying i feel that every day as i can guess any Promethean is feeling same.
Farming boss is pretty tough task to get something good from game for that takes patience.

Bundle package is for ones that can't afford for one item at really high cost instead think of it as
small gift when kid have good grades in school or it has been good boy/girl at end of year.
What i do is more crazy i buy bundle because of one item rest is flying around or i even never look
for them lol. One time i buy whole gear in crown shop after i saw what gear gives me i said:
" Not worth it " then after while i saw cute Hat at that gear i stich it but after while one guy said
you could buy it in Bazaar hahaha.

Farming for rare wand at some boss is for ones that dont have crowns yet only for membership.
Me on other hand i buy few packs and i get Anubis wand which i think its top wand in spiral it has:
110 block rate, 65 critical, extra powerpip, and has wand attacks of Myth, Ice and Death each has
2 cards. Did yet again and got that wand with 75/75 rating and has Myth wand attack.

You ask yourself " Why i farming?" well answer is there: Do you want to buy or get it for free?
RottenHeart i don't know you and you don't know me but you seem like great person i will say
don't go anywhere stay because of friends stay as member peoples need your advice on this site.
Normally i dont write this long but wanted to let you know that there is peoples in same situation.

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, level 90, Technomancer
"Let the force be with you"
Hang on in there new world will come soon. Cheer up

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
KL have to make money some way right? You have to understand running a game is not cheap. And ofc if you pay you get better stuff. If you buy the bundle you will 100% get the stuff.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
RottenHeart on Jun 26, 2013 wrote:
- 1 flying mount

I have been farming Cipactli for a couple weeks now. Defeated him roughly 50-100 times, maybe more, still haven't got it. I saw the Viridian wand in the crown shop which is a bit better. But now I just discover i could just buy a far better wand for essentially $20 at Walmart??? I thought I was farming for a good, unique game item. But now I find its junk compared to what I can buy at Walmart? I am a grown adult. I can afford $20. Why am I farming? Why am I playing this game?

This is not a game shortcut, "a matter of time vs crowns". Before I fly off in rage and then descend into depression, then cancel my membership, do i understand this correctly?

It used to be the better stuff had to be earned in the game, such as the WW gear, which to me was pretty much when I think we were be honed by KI toward pay to play. Slowly that evolved into the better stuff now has to be purchased. Hec I even resorted to paying for my last 3 spells by buying henchmen and I was really not happy when those packs came out with spells in them and here I bought mine anyway. Guess I am just two faced.

It is possible those willing to pay feel since they paid for it it should be better then what someone else just got for free, no matter how much time that person devoted to get it. Those who can afford to pay to play do have a better game experience, they have access to all the good things the game has to offer.

The down side to this is you can no longer feel proud or even happy with your hard work because it took another wizard 2 seconds and some crowns to have better then you. There is no longer pride in what you earn in the game because it just means you wasted your time because you didn't or can't pony up the money for better.

Mary StarGem

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
- 1 flying mount

Sadly, yes you understand this perfectly.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Death commander on Jun 26, 2013 wrote:
KL have to make money some way right? You have to understand running a game is not cheap. And ofc if you pay you get better stuff. If you buy the bundle you will 100% get the stuff.
I fully understand KI is a business. But they are selling a multiplayer game that involves elements of competition (PvP), and areas of varying challenges that provide rewards and badges of accomplishment (PvE).

First arc worlds, fine... whatever. Second arc worlds, designed with greater challenges for more capable players desiring a greater gaming experience... well the idea of just purchasing superior gear and in-game rewards at walmart reduces Wizard101.

I have no issue with game accesseries available for purchase. But not items that significantly simplify the game (superior gear), or selling in-game rewards that are extremely rare and/or challenging to obtain and represent an accomplishment. It saps desire and purpose to succeed in the game.

If the second arc worlds are being developed for a more mature and capable gaming audience, selling superior gear and in-game rewards for cash is NOT a strategy for attracting gamers.

~ RottenHeart, Lvl 90

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
Before long all these superior items will be outdated. It only means a new world is set to come out soon. But I do understand where you are coming from. It's a detestable practice but practicality demands to sell them now than when it gets trumped by crafting/dropped items. No one will buy them. I just hope KI doesn't overdo it because they know people are watching this business routine carefully.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Mature and capable players usually have jobs and disposable income, ergo putting better quality items in the crowns shop so they will want to spend money to get the things that give them an advantage.

Otherwise nobody would bother with the crowns shop. The mature and capable players would farm because they have the skills and teamwork needed to process dungeons at a high volume, ensuring they will get the item after a few hours. The no-crowns players would farm because they have no choice.

PVP is optional so you can still play the game all the way to the end without spending a single crown above and beyond your membership. You'll need above average tactical skills and a strong network of friends to get through without spending crowns, but it's possible. PVP however is generally accepted as pay-to-win. Is this unethical? Not really, nobody is forcing you to buy crowns gear and fight in the arena.

I do wish most if not all the gear items found in the various packs also occurred as rare drops in various bosses. That would help people get around the aversion to gambling for a chance to open that rare gear item. Or simply add them to the crown shop as buyable items in their own right, not having to buy dozens of packs to try to find one. I would gladly spend 10k crowns on a solid 110+ blocking wand rather than buy 10k worth of packs just to try to open one.

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
RottenHeart on Jun 28, 2013 wrote:
I fully understand KI is a business. But they are selling a multiplayer game that involves elements of competition (PvP), and areas of varying challenges that provide rewards and badges of accomplishment (PvE).

First arc worlds, fine... whatever. Second arc worlds, designed with greater challenges for more capable players desiring a greater gaming experience... well the idea of just purchasing superior gear and in-game rewards at walmart reduces Wizard101.

I have no issue with game accesseries available for purchase. But not items that significantly simplify the game (superior gear), or selling in-game rewards that are extremely rare and/or challenging to obtain and represent an accomplishment. It saps desire and purpose to succeed in the game.

If the second arc worlds are being developed for a more mature and capable gaming audience, selling superior gear and in-game rewards for cash is NOT a strategy for attracting gamers.

~ RottenHeart, Lvl 90
Tell me one online computer multiplayer game that dose not have in game money or membership. This is VERY common sense for a game like this to have pay-stuff. You pay, you get the cool looking and awesome stuff. Is common sense. So do you expect this game to only making money off member? Then KI would be broke by now.
What you are saying is that make everything FREE in the game expect for the member? No paying gear or pet? Clearly you do not understand how online multiplayer games works.
I hope you pvp because you can clearly see that MANY people uses non-paying gear and they are warlords.
Paying a little money to the game just makes your game more fun more enjoyable, lets you have cool stuff and things like that, COMMON SENSE, and like I said payed stuff is not always better. Players that didnt pay still had fun. And KI didn't do ANYTHING wrong, making everything in game free? Then what's fun of it? Everyone is having all the cool gear and everyone have the rarest pet and everyone have the best of the best?

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Death Commander said:

"What you are saying is that make everything FREE in the game expect for the member? No paying gear or pet? Clearly you do not understand how online multiplayer games works."

Clearly you do not read posts carefully. Prior to replying to a thread ensure you understand the topic and reply accordingly. For purposes of credibility do not mis-quote others, and have have a good understanding of the topic. Also do not resort to personal attacks and insults, also hurts credibiity. Post relevent on-topic information. Now back on topic...

RottenHeart, Lvl 90

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
RottenHeart on Jun 30, 2013 wrote:
Death Commander said:

"What you are saying is that make everything FREE in the game expect for the member? No paying gear or pet? Clearly you do not understand how online multiplayer games works."

Clearly you do not read posts carefully. Prior to replying to a thread ensure you understand the topic and reply accordingly. For purposes of credibility do not mis-quote others, and have have a good understanding of the topic. Also do not resort to personal attacks and insults, also hurts credibiity. Post relevent on-topic information. Now back on topic...

RottenHeart, Lvl 90
You are saying that paying item is way better then drop items and yes that is true. And you also are saying you are quitting this game because that is a " shortcut" and I said is common sense to have some kind of "shortcut" in every game and most of them requires paying, that is very common for a game, you pay you get cooler stuff. You can't expect a online mutiplayer game WITHOUT paying shortcuts, if you can get every single item no matter if rare or with great stats then... Idk what to say because its impossible.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
There used to be a saying, and this really held true. Time or money. In this case, crowns. Time would allow you to farm a boss for a drop, garden for mega snacks (which are actually better than a pack, but crowns or time for seeds), or craft gear.
Bundles were a great way to get kids interested in this game, and gave them a leg up so to speak.
The problem stems from the ONLY way to get top notch gear is to now buy it with crowns. The "time" substitute is gone.
Time meant you had to keep a sub to be able to do what you needed.
Now the problem is that you cannot obtain in game gear that is on par with bundle or card pack gear.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
After one week cool down I canceled both my memberships. Wizard101 is an excellent game which I have placed a fair amount of hours into.

As an old school gamer I like strategy without shortcuts or cheats. I strongly believe that multi-player games must place the players in an equal playing field (or reasonably close). I can live with "shortcuts", but not far superior equipment for cash. When playing I was always aware of the crowns shop which offered some slightly better items, but I was not familiar with some bundles that offer far superior items (stats). Also, selling challenging in-game rewards for a couple bucks reduces the game considerably. The purpose for playing the game becomes lost.

My major issue is this is a great game for kids with the target audience shifting to an older crowd that can easily dominate the game with cash purchases. With reasonable strategy and skill a mature player can easily dominate the spiral (PvP and PvE) without significant challenge, leaving other players at a huge disadvantage. My 7yo daughter realized this last week and no longer wants to play.

I am quite familiar with a variety of rpg games, and my other current memberships are with an alternate big brand mmorpg that is subscription based (pay-to-play) but offers no significant shortcuts, cheats, or superior gear for cash (pay-to-win).

Thanks KingsIsle for the fantastic experience and the hours of enjoyment. It is an excellent game, especially for kids. There are many fantastic players that I met as friends throughout the spiral.

RottenHeart (Morgan Moonblood), Lvl 90
- Lady of the Falling Sky
- Legendary Gardener
- Transcendant Crafter
- Overall Helping Hand

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
I think KI is a business, not a charity, and needs to make money. In order to get people to pay real money for bundles, they need to offer something in them that is better than what can be obtained for free in-game. Look at it from the other side: if someone paid for a bundle, and then found out that better things were available for free in-game, they would understandably feel they had been ripped off. I also think that KI making money off of bundles is one of the things that helps keep our monthly subscription fees low, so we all benefit from it.

As to the question "Why am I farming?", the answer is, because you chose to. No one forced you into it, and you are free to change your mind at any time. Other players have the same freedom.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
- 1 flying mount

Nope stats on them are not that great hat robe and boots do not give rest on any school wand does not have incoming or pip chance like the level 90 wands do also. Your viewing your stats all wrong. You have to balance your wizards out and that gear does not do it. I don't find much gear out of packs to be any good the stats are mostly all wrong to what you need. crafted gear and WW gear is by far the best in game when it comes to Hood, Robe and Boots. The ring and Athames are Boss drops . These packs are not hurting the game at all if anything they help when leveling up 1 - 60, Into you get into WW. Anyway sorry your feeling this way and hope this helps you understand it a little better.

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
Death commander on Jun 26, 2013 wrote:
lol deathcommander, I read your pvp post and once again it's KI not KL, just sayin'

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Blaze W on Jul 2, 2013 wrote:
Nope stats on them are not that great hat robe and boots do not give rest on any school wand does not have incoming or pip chance like the level 90 wands do also. Your viewing your stats all wrong. You have to balance your wizards out and that gear does not do it. I don't find much gear out of packs to be any good the stats are mostly all wrong to what you need. crafted gear and WW gear is by far the best in game when it comes to Hood, Robe and Boots. The ring and Athames are Boss drops . These packs are not hurting the game at all if anything they help when leveling up 1 - 60, Into you get into WW. Anyway sorry your feeling this way and hope this helps you understand it a little better.
Thx for the response, but facts are facts. I'm fine with balancing my gear, crafted all there is to craft, and spent mega hours farming for drops. After searching the spiral for the best items for my Promethean (what else is there to do???) I discover better items for cash. I like playing rpg, I'm not interested in Webkinz or barby dress-up for cash.

Believing that WW gear is best is silly. Best gear combos depends on wizard school, gamer play style & strategy, and specific activity (PvE world, dungeon, boss, PvP, etc.). The biggest factor I find is whether I need critical block or not (my primary has two outfits. My other wizards have different stuff). Anyway it depends on situation.

Last Quetzal's Bite (Cipactli drop)
Best item (for me) I can find in-game, and its a crown item too!
I defeated Cipatli many many dozens of times, no drop.
+66 crit
+54 block
+1 pwr pip
~ other stuff I don't care

Brutal Ice Arrow Rod (Cipactli drop)
I defeated Cipatli many many dozens of times and didn't get this either.
+33 crit
+85 block
+1 pwr pip

Astral Wand (Pharoah's Hoard Pack)
Gotta farm the pharoah's hoard pack for a chance to get this!
+40 crit
+85 block
+1 pwr pip

Unkind Axe of Wintewr (Raven's Hoard Pack)
Gotta buy a bunch of packs for a chance to get this too!
+30 crit
+95 block
+1 pwr pip

Primordial Axe (Prehistoric bundle)
Don't search the spiral for this. Go to Walmart. Pay your cash, done deal.
+70 crit
+70 block
+1 pwr pip

~ RottenHeart... last post for a very looong time!

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
" Last Quetzal's Bite (Cipactli drop)
Best item (for me) I can find in-game, and its a crown item too!
I defeated Cipatli many many dozens of times, no drop.
+66 crit
+54 block
+1 pwr pip

Brutal Ice Arrow Rod (Cipactli drop)
I defeated Cipatli many many dozens of times and didn't get this either.
+33 crit
+85 block
+1 pwr pip
~ other stuff I don't care "

I also farmed Cipactli so many times I can't count it anymore. I gave up though when I noticed the box that you can pay with crowns for items appearing after beating him. I got a gut feeling the LQB will never drop at all unless you try your luck and throw in some crowns in that blasted box. But you must really have bad luck not to have Brutal Ice Arrow Rod when I got enough of it for all my Prometheans to use along with other rings, Turquoise and athames.

-------Prometheans---------