Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

This Game.... The Magic is Gone...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
Hi there!

I agree that the second arc is not a walk in the park. I think where the magic is lost is the lack of a good story. There might be a good story in the second arc but there is so much fighting and time in between each piece that I forget the story and therefore the story is no good.

I think KI needs more creativity with the story and less grind. Also, there is a difference between challenge and grind.

As far is needing to work for gear and pets? You don't need to spend real money to get gear and pets. How do I know? Because I don't spend real money on gear and pets! As far as spending gold? It's fake money and you can always farm for more! No one is going to hand the gear to you!

Overall I'm not too impressed with the story (which is what hooked me on wizard in the first place). I hope it gets fixed (come on KI writers! We know you can do it!). If it does and there is less grind in the next world then I'm a happy camper.

-Vanessa

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Vanessa Iceblood on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
Hi there!

I agree that the second arc is not a walk in the park. I think where the magic is lost is the lack of a good story. There might be a good story in the second arc but there is so much fighting and time in between each piece that I forget the story and therefore the story is no good.

I think KI needs more creativity with the story and less grind. Also, there is a difference between challenge and grind.

As far is needing to work for gear and pets? You don't need to spend real money to get gear and pets. How do I know? Because I don't spend real money on gear and pets! As far as spending gold? It's fake money and you can always farm for more! No one is going to hand the gear to you!

Overall I'm not too impressed with the story (which is what hooked me on wizard in the first place). I hope it gets fixed (come on KI writers! We know you can do it!). If it does and there is less grind in the next world then I'm a happy camper.

-Vanessa
I personally feel that KI should gather around in one big thinking circle and completely rewrite the second arc, perhaps after Celestia, since Zafaria is where things started to get confusing.

and yeah, you don't have to spend real money to get gear and pets, but it's quite a grind without spending a little crowns here and there. I liked it better when the alternatives to spending crowns on something were much easier.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
BalanceRulez408 on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
I agree with you. Once all these warlords and perfect healing and resist pets, it was hard to catch up. At times i felt like my school wasn't even strong enough to defeat any of these bosses. It was a big leap from Dragonspyre. But the way i solved it was made some new friends with the same quest i had, and we worked on them together to make it more entertaining than soloing everything. Sometimes, if the game bores you or makes you frustrated, make a new wizard and start fresh, I know the sound of the bone cages relaxes me! Or, you could take a break for a while, go outside, get some fresh air, play with neighbors or even study for school (even if you have finished your homework or its summer) or possibly read a book. Anything that could take your mind off of frustration through the game. I hope some of this helps!

Ashley Griffin, Level 75
I am often creating new wizards and I am enjoying it very much. Storyline is crisp and never gets old. Worlds feel very balanced and enjoyable! Wysteria and Aquila are actually very enjoyable, and have a pretty interesting storyline that has you questioning why they don't apply these good storylines to ZF and AZ. Seriously, KI has the potential!

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Wise n witty on Jul 31, 2013 wrote:
I feel the same i've been playing wizard101 for quite awhile. It doesn't feel the same anymore all these new stuff and pets and the hard bosses. It's becoming too much. Most of my friends have quit and it's just too different.
All of my wizard friend quit too and it's quite sad. Wish there was a reunion day where I'd log on and my friend list would be super packed!!! ;)

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
Yes the magic has gone. Good ole KI, ruined a good family game. The new worlds are unreal, since your deck is controlled, the fizz factor, gear drops are all controlled by their computer. Why can't they let us choose our spells so our chances are a little bit better. As far as gear and crowns go, they have changed what was available in DS, the gear they offer in the bazaar and crown shop are worthless- one can spend a lot of money on crowns and not gain much at all. Come on KI get the old story lines back, cut the cheats to a reasonable level, let us have a chance since we are the ones spending the money, building our decks and wizards, planning our strategies for each fight only to be foiled by your new programmers. Wake up and make it a family game again.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2009
I'm still working on Marleybone for the first time. I'm disappointed to hear the second arc isn't very good . I was so looking forward to the creative and exotic worlds. I've never really been one for constant dueling and questing so I sounds like I will be desperately lost in the 2nd arc. But I have to admit, there are times even in the first arc when I get uninterested and it feels like the story has lost the magic. Maybe it's just me but I feel like nothing quite matches the initial thrill, joy and excitement of the first 15 levels or so. I remember celebrating getting my next spell and trying to contain myself when I unlocked a new area. Now it's about trying to grind through the boring quests and dungeons to get to the cooler high level places. I honestly think Kingsisle should have a direct heart to heart with the players to create a truly epic game for the gamers AND game constructors
-Shannon Icegem

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Icegem616 on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
I'm still working on Marleybone for the first time. I'm disappointed to hear the second arc isn't very good . I was so looking forward to the creative and exotic worlds. I've never really been one for constant dueling and questing so I sounds like I will be desperately lost in the 2nd arc. But I have to admit, there are times even in the first arc when I get uninterested and it feels like the story has lost the magic. Maybe it's just me but I feel like nothing quite matches the initial thrill, joy and excitement of the first 15 levels or so. I remember celebrating getting my next spell and trying to contain myself when I unlocked a new area. Now it's about trying to grind through the boring quests and dungeons to get to the cooler high level places. I honestly think Kingsisle should have a direct heart to heart with the players to create a truly epic game for the gamers AND game constructors
-Shannon Icegem
Well, in the first arc Marleybone is probably the least fun world, with the most grind. I found it helpful to break up MB with visits to Wisteria and Grizzleheim. Then Mooshu was fun for me also. Don't despair, there is still plenty of magic to enjoy!

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
Azteca quests frustrate me beyond comprehension. I lose to bosses when usually, in Avalon, I OWNED THEM. Now, I need help to defeat bosses, and can handle minions with some difficulty. To those that haven't approached Azteca yet BE WARNED. If you hadn't yet received my answer, it is a yes. The magic has gone.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Icegem616 on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
-Shannon Icegem
In the first arc, Marleybone was the one worlds I disliked the most. I currently have 3 wizards in MB. 2 at the Ironworks and the third just entered MB. All 3 are now running in Grizz for a while before going back to MB. I still have 2 more to get through and still one open slot in my second account for another wizard. Not sure if or when I will create that one.

The graphic designs in the second arc are nice to look at but as for the rest of it, the grind only gets worse. I have 5 in the second arc but all are moving very slowly at this point. 1 in Az, 1 in Av, and 3 in CL/WT. The fun and magic that drew so many of us early after the game was released is certainly missing in the second arc. I am not sure I want to see the final world of this arc. It is going to have to make up for all the previous worlds in the second arc, but not sure that is possible.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
FinnAgainWindrider on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
Well, in the first arc Marleybone is probably the least fun world, with the most grind. I found it helpful to break up MB with visits to Wisteria and Grizzleheim. Then Mooshu was fun for me also. Don't despair, there is still plenty of magic to enjoy!
Well, that's the first arc but I do agree that Marleybone was quite tedious, but only with Big Ben and the theme it carried (I hated how it was always dark and so formal. bleghh) the story was fine and stayed true to the game (my favorite quest was the chase after Meowiarty!). I just wish there were more alternative worlds in the second arc like Wysteria and Grizzleheim.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2013
KI has done a lot for us already. Lets just grit our teeth and do it, for the feeling of accomplishment. Things in life won't be "just handed over to you". Yes the storyline isn't top notch but it was in the previous worlds so we need to be great full for that. I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Golem Breaker on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
KI has done a lot for us already. Lets just grit our teeth and do it, for the feeling of accomplishment. Things in life won't be "just handed over to you". Yes the storyline isn't top notch but it was in the previous worlds so we need to be great full for that. I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations.
I'm not frustrated at the 2nd arc because things aren't handed over to me.... KI has made this game irrelevant as a family game, but more relevant as hardcore. I didn't come to this game expecting a walk in the park, or getting things handed over to me, I came for a balanced, relaxed playing experience that I can enjoy with my friends and even my family (they've stopped playing).

I am grateful for a lot of additions to this game, sure, but the core parts of this game have been twisted and bent into something that many W101 fans did not have to deal with when first playing the game.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
Having played this game for a few years and seeing what it has become, I feel it is no longer a family game. I have one wiz in Aztecia, one in Zam, 3 in DS, one in the Krok world and one in the first world. I have noticed that the fizz factor, the blocking factor (from the home team) has reached down as far a the Krok world. The chance of ending any fight quickly has been made harder. No matter how one sets his deck, the computer determines what spells show at each turn and what the fizz factor is. Imagine being in a fight, having the spell loaded to finish, and what one gets is consecutive fizzes. The spell can be as high as 85%, but still fizz, while their spells no matter what % don't. Regrettably I think the game is now more of a money game than an entertainment game. Its to bad that KI has changed course and ruined a great game. Maybe, one day soon I hope, they open their eyes and make the changes necessary to get it back to what they claim it to be, A FAMILY GAME. The hard core players must love it. Has anyone received a drop that they can use after a battle, they seem to be farther between then they were when the game was first put out and most of the stuff in the crown shop is to expensive and usually not as good or as useful and what one already has. Also, can one tell me if henchmen fizz often. How does a lvl 90 hench fizz five times in a row?

Explorer
Feb 02, 2011
i am sad that all through the game it has changed a lot i dont know how to go on i mean i am just waiting for help in the second story line ki i know you want to chalange us i like that but still i am reaching out to all of the people who think that it will be easy but you will be wrong it gets hard out there and ki i wish you best of luck all the wizards out there i dont plan on being a message bord hero but i am asking you to stand up with me and tell ki how to make the game better we need to show them that we can show them that when we can not win without paying in crowns for guys to help it is to hard and ki i know you want money but it is hard enough without paying to win ki plz plz plz help change this help all of us wizards that dont want to pay for all of this and thus quit you will lose money if you do not change this prob help plz just help you dont want to lose money do you?
taylor ghost leaf lvl 48

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
I agree. I remember when PVP was simple, but now you need a pet(a good one), crafted gear, farmed for gear, special training point decisions, mastery amulets etc. I can't play player versus player anymore in ranked due to complications. Plus criticals and blocks are frustrating (You use to just have an okay damage boost and all easy, but now all stats must be perfect in order to win). And there used to be a steady increase in difficulty, but now it gets HARD and CL's last boss was not a steady increase from DS's final boss. I only play through the first arc now.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
minstral on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
Having played this game for a few years and seeing what it has become, I feel it is no longer a family game. I have one wiz in Aztecia, one in Zam, 3 in DS, one in the Krok world and one in the first world. I have noticed that the fizz factor, the blocking factor (from the home team) has reached down as far a the Krok world. The chance of ending any fight quickly has been made harder. No matter how one sets his deck, the computer determines what spells show at each turn and what the fizz factor is. Imagine being in a fight, having the spell loaded to finish, and what one gets is consecutive fizzes. The spell can be as high as 85%, but still fizz, while their spells no matter what % don't. Regrettably I think the game is now more of a money game than an entertainment game. Its to bad that KI has changed course and ruined a great game. Maybe, one day soon I hope, they open their eyes and make the changes necessary to get it back to what they claim it to be, A FAMILY GAME. The hard core players must love it. Has anyone received a drop that they can use after a battle, they seem to be farther between then they were when the game was first put out and most of the stuff in the crown shop is to expensive and usually not as good or as useful and what one already has. Also, can one tell me if henchmen fizz often. How does a lvl 90 hench fizz five times in a row?
I agree with your post the game has taken that turn. I think original players suffer the most because we remember how it used to be and what we thought the game we were playing was going to be. I also think it's possible that the family fun set didn't pay the bills so they needed the real gamers that have come from other games that do charge more and they are used to paying to play. I am not sure how games that go from soft core to hard core fare. Will hard core players suffer though the first arc for the difficult stuff or even join a game that is advertised as "Family Fun" even tho at a certain point for many that ends? With all the things that have flooded the game it's nearly impossible for the non-gamer types to figure out what to do to get though the game. All my original friends left the game post Celestia because it was getting just to over whelming for them - the magic was gone.

As for the fizzle rate I have to agree that has been upped considerably, mainly since about 2 mos. ago. We were questing in AZ with our Death, Balance and Storm - our Death and Balance both Fizzled almost always on the first turn to cast a damage spell. It got so bad I was solely just buffing the Storm that hardly ever fizzled to make the fights move a long.

Currently we are working in DS with a Fire and Life and the Life wizard is fizzling almost as much as the Fire. I know when I took my first Life wizard though the game it wasn't like that. Clearly there is no fun to be had in this game any more unless all the odds are constantly stacked against you.

Fun for some isn't fun for all. We have to lead, follow or just get out of the way. I used to lead, I have resorted to following but now am seriously considering just getting out of the way.

Mary StarGem lvl 90

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
I been playing this game sense well it came out literally one of my favorite bosses to fight when i had no crowns and or membership was the kraken but celestia!? critical things like that but i do like moon and sun the star is getting a little to confusing

Survivor
Sep 07, 2008
KorekuEternal on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:
I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, right?

I've been playing this game since Feb 2009. I was literally HOOKED. The spells, the quests, the friends I made... Man, those were the times lol. I played in the mornings, I played in the night, and then the next day, I wanted to do it all again. I had a ton of fun.

But then, something changed. I suddenly became less interested.

Something terribly wrong happened during the Celestia era. I was still having a blast in Wizard101 during the time, but with certain things like advanced pets and critical, the game was getting very technical. Of course the game was still good but It only got worse from there.

Nowadays in order to actually get far in a world (*cough* Azteca), you need a good pet which requires TONS of hatching and Mega snack packs (unless you farm Waterworks for hours, BLEH.), a mastery amulet, and in some cases, henchmen. I might as well throw a stash of money and instantly be done with Azteca lol, because that's what's happening...

I know you all think I'm just being a sourpuss, or a dirty blanket (wut) but come on, this game has changed tremendously. I feel like I'm playing Skyrim and WoW together, which is horrible because I come to this game to escape frustration from those sort of games. I came to this game as a casual "just wants to have fun while bored" player, but now I find myself working insanely hard on quests, pets, and crafted gear.

W101 is just like Spongebob, the new version of it is really bad, and people only enjoyed it because of what it had in the beginning, not what is has now lol.
I used to have so much fun on this game. I've been playing this game for a really long time and I made a lot of new friends. However, they all left and all the fun memories we used to cherish are all gone. Plus, the bosses started to cheat and start out with so many pips that it would make gameplay much harder. I am needing a friend more and more to help me with my quests. I believe this game has really changed.

Survivor
Oct 13, 2012
I've only been playing this game for about a year so i havent been able to experience all of what ive seen but i can say i hate how when i first started everything was so fun and a little challenging at the same time but now as i i start getting in to new worlds and stuff things require me to buy a ton of things just to get to my next level! Krokotopia is a ton of fun as is marleybone but after those worlds it just gets.....frustrating. I hate using my crowns to buy stuff at the crown shop because im a play buy zone kinda guy. i only get as far as my crowns take me. and now im barley able to buy more than 2 areas at time because of having to buy so many snack packs and gear and stuff.

James Fireblade level 40
Valkoor level 14

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Well everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. But still, I disagree that Wizard101 has lost its magic. Honestly, if you are all so upset about it, you should just stop playing. And I'm not trying to be rude, it's what anyone should do if they are upset about a changed game. Just like the Cheshire cat says, "Not all change is good." but not all of it is bad. I think KI wanted to spice things up more for the game, and although I was very, very, very confused about the whole new system, I eventually got the hang of it. Even though I've gotten stuck plenty of times, I have never really left this game. It's too amazing to let go of.

Really, I truly think if you think that KI has 'tarnished a beautiful game,' then stop playing. The answer is simple if you hate it that much. Not all people share your opinion, so I doubt KI will go back on its ways especially seeing how far this game has gone. You can hope that KI will, but I seriously doubt that KI will remove the system of Criticals, Stuns, Piercing, and Healing boosts. Many people actually rely on this system to get by, and it would be totally unfair just to take it away from them. In fact, most people complain about Ice being the 'weakest school.' Now with the new Critical rating, you can push that all aside and have the strength of a Storm wizard! I would never have gotten past the title of Legendary if it weren't for Criticals.

If you don't want to stop playing, my answer is very blunt: just go with it. Wizard101 can still be fun but only if you are willing to let it be fun. I can't say much more than that.

In my opinion, Wizard101 will forever be a favorite game of mine. It is full of amazing people and exciting adventure. (And not to mention a very creative sense of humor!) Thanks for reading my opinion.
~ Courtney I. Transcendent
P.S., I'm not going to reply to any flaming/yelling or weak rebuking/single sentences. Cheers!

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
I have been playing this game for a little over 3 years now. Personally I love the technical stuff in the game, but what I love more is helping others. I play MMOs to help others so if you need help with anything, wither it be explaining the stats of the game or with quests let me know.

My main is a Ice Wizard nearly level 90, named Ian Dreamshield. Drop me a line if you need a shield against the untamed wilds of the spiral.

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
in fact critical is the main thing I search for. I am in the forum and really want to go further past malistare. I totally disagree.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
Twilight Angel on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
Well everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. But still, I disagree that Wizard101 has lost its magic. Honestly, if you are all so upset about it, you should just stop playing. And I'm not trying to be rude, it's what anyone should do if they are upset about a changed game. Just like the Cheshire cat says, "Not all change is good." but not all of it is bad. I think KI wanted to spice things up more for the game, and although I was very, very, very confused about the whole new system, I eventually got the hang of it. Even though I've gotten stuck plenty of times, I have never really left this game. It's too amazing to let go of.

Really, I truly think if you think that KI has 'tarnished a beautiful game,' then stop playing. The answer is simple if you hate it that much. Not all people share your opinion, so I doubt KI will go back on its ways especially seeing how far this game has gone. You can hope that KI will, but I seriously doubt that KI will remove the system of Criticals, Stuns, Piercing, and Healing boosts. Many people actually rely on this system to get by, and it would be totally unfair just to take it away from them. In fact, most people complain about Ice being the 'weakest school.' Now with the new Critical rating, you can push that all aside and have the strength of a Storm wizard! I would never have gotten past the title of Legendary if it weren't for Criticals.

If you don't want to stop playing, my answer is very blunt: just go with it. Wizard101 can still be fun but only if you are willing to let it be fun. I can't say much more than that.

In my opinion, Wizard101 will forever be a favorite game of mine. It is full of amazing people and exciting adventure. (And not to mention a very creative sense of humor!) Thanks for reading my opinion.
P.S., I'm not going to reply to any flaming/yelling or weak rebuking/single sentences. Cheers!
Actually, I already have stopped playing (a month or so after Azteca's release), though I cannot speak for anyone else in this thread. Nowadays I stick around on the forums, sharing my thoughts and opinions about the game with other wizards who are relatable on many levels, and sometimes I'll give cool ideas to spice up the gameplay.

Looking back to my original post, I can actually agree now that the new additions to the battling system (crit, block, etc.) wasn't too bad of a thing. What really slaughtered the fun, immersive charm of the game was the unsettling, jumbled storyline, where the progression of the actual story is overshadowed by random quests that involve running back and forth to places and bosses that make absolutely no sense with what was actually going on a few quests before (this really shows in Zafaria). Also, in Azteca, the mobs get really out of control (7 power pips and really high health). It's just no fun having to struggle with each new quest.

I also cannot forget to mention how competitive the game's gotten in PvP... the amount of money you invest into your wizard just to make him playable in high level pvp is not cool at all.

You seem to only have a confutation about the new additions to the battling system and use that only to show the game has progressed, but you haven't mentioned anything about the tedious storyline, nor how ugly pvp has become, nor the leap in difficulty that's gotten many wizards frustrating and lead them to quit. This is centered around opinion anyways.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
KorekuEternal on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
Actually, I already have stopped playing (a month or so after Azteca's release), though I cannot speak for anyone else in this thread. Nowadays I stick around on the forums, sharing my thoughts and opinions about the game with other wizards who are relatable on many levels, and sometimes I'll give cool ideas to spice up the gameplay.

Looking back to my original post, I can actually agree now that the new additions to the battling system (crit, block, etc.) wasn't too bad of a thing. What really slaughtered the fun, immersive charm of the game was the unsettling, jumbled storyline, where the progression of the actual story is overshadowed by random quests that involve running back and forth to places and bosses that make absolutely no sense with what was actually going on a few quests before (this really shows in Zafaria). Also, in Azteca, the mobs get really out of control (7 power pips and really high health). It's just no fun having to struggle with each new quest.

I also cannot forget to mention how competitive the game's gotten in PvP... the amount of money you invest into your wizard just to make him playable in high level pvp is not cool at all.

You seem to only have a confutation about the new additions to the battling system and use that only to show the game has progressed, but you haven't mentioned anything about the tedious storyline, nor how ugly pvp has become, nor the leap in difficulty that's gotten many wizards frustrating and lead them to quit. This is centered around opinion anyways.
I hope you still play every once in a while. There's no way I could ignore Wizard101 for too long. And if I do, it's because I've run out of crowns. (I don't do subscription like a lot of other people do.) I'm happy you still participate in this place, though.

Really? I thought the story line was top notch, especially with Celestia. I was really happy there was a new villain although I can't say I was happy to see she was a Death wizard. Anyways I think that the new storyline really pulled me into a jumpstart, because I was totally thrilled that I had more story line to figure out. But I can't disagree with you on Zafaria, for it was the most boring to me. (Apologies, KI. ) Zafaria either felt really long to me because of the quests (Or maybe it was just the layout of where the places where, such as Stonetown and Drum Jungle.) or it felt really short because of the lack of an intriguing story line. Eep, I haven't gotten to Azteca yet, but that sounds frightening! The closest I've gotten to Azteca is dueling the Sand Squid and the Gladiator Bear. (Level Ninety Bosses in the dungeons of Aquila.) I admit they're tough, but they were much more fun than the Water's work's bosses, which were tedious and drew out very long battles. Even so, the level ninety-bosses kept me on my heels, cause I knew I could die at any turn or at any late charm. Maybe you have to be willing to keep up, not able to keep up. Just my opinion. (If you feel as though you're struggling with a quest, I don't really know how to help. There will always be those tougher quest out there, especially for the main story line. I'm sure you already know you can always ask friend for help as well. )

I think it's just the way PvP is made. Some people, and if not all people get freaked out whenever they see a level Ninety on the opposing team and either try to join them or run for the hills. If you don't want to pay for PvP, just do practice. But still, it is quite difficult to get into a good match for PvP. Mostly because of the vast level uniqueness throughout our wizards. But in my Wizard101 life, some of my greatest friends have been made in PvP.

As for the difficultly leap, I can't say much more than 'What do you expect?' In any game, as you progress things will ultimately get harder no matter what you do. And since there is no difficultly level you pick at the start of Wizard101, you cannot change this. The only way to combat difficulty in W101 is getting things done with as much help as possible. The mounting difficulty will forever remain the challenge in any game.

Sorry for any confusion or anger I caused. I didn't have to much room to write in my prior post nor did you complain about this in your original post. I will be try to be more assertive in the future. Hope you understand my thoughts.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Twilight Angel on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:

We are going, young wizard, we just aren't going quietly like so many others have.