Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Death School

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2011
I decided to start off a new wizard because my got Exalted.
What should I spend my training points on?
Note: I am not doing secondary schools, that tactic is cheap and a waste.

Thanks

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Get Spirit Blade (and Spirit Trap if you want to), Tower Shield if you like to shield, and save your points until Celestia.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
I never do secondary schools, they are not worth it in the end

Get
Life to Satyr
Spirit Tri Blade from Niles
Ice to tower (if you plan to pvp)
All the sun fist enchants
Potent
Sharpen
Your Azteca Aura

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Mijumaru16055 on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:

Thanks
i agree, secondary schools are a waste; the only off-school spells you need are:

1) stun block
2) reshuffle
3) spirit blade/trap

at level 50+

4) star spells
5) sun spells

-von

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
this may sound wierd but you should get shields and blades. they make your spells more powerful than before

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
annaxh on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
this may sound wierd but you should get shields and blades. they make your spells more powerful than before
I think you meant traps, and how would it sound weird to advise someone to get blades and traps?

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I would add to the above, train Elemental Blades & Traps as well. There will be instances where you are not the hardest hitter, where it makes sense for an Ice, Fire, or Storm to hit, and the more members of the group who can buff that hit, the faster that mob/boss/instance/dungeon/tower will go.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
It's true that secondary school training can be a monumental waste of training points but I would suggest you get at least one trained off-school 1-pip attack spell for those times when you need to bust a Tower or a Weakness and your wand hits aren't showing up. In your case (Death) I'd suggest Imp because it'll also allow you to knock off Life Shields without ruining your Prisms when you're fighting Death school enemies. TCs will work for this but they'll take up space in your side deck that could be used for more useful cards. If you follow the Life to Satyr strategy you will already have accomplished this although as a Death wizard you're not likely to have much need for Satyr unless you intend to heal teammates.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
TucsonWizard on Sep 18, 2015 wrote:
It's true that secondary school training can be a monumental waste of training points but I would suggest you get at least one trained off-school 1-pip attack spell for those times when you need to bust a Tower or a Weakness and your wand hits aren't showing up. In your case (Death) I'd suggest Imp because it'll also allow you to knock off Life Shields without ruining your Prisms when you're fighting Death school enemies. TCs will work for this but they'll take up space in your side deck that could be used for more useful cards. If you follow the Life to Satyr strategy you will already have accomplished this although as a Death wizard you're not likely to have much need for Satyr unless you intend to heal teammates.
Death school enemies don't actually use Life Shields, at least from what I've seen.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Mijumaru16055 on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:

Thanks
As a L100 death myself, I will tell you, the spells I found that were useful are:

1) Damage enhancing sun spells (the ones with the fist on them)
2) Stun Block

Instead of using spirit blade/trap, hatch for a pet that gives you an item card deathblade, use the L56 wintertusk crafted helm which gives an item card deathblade, and stack that with the school taught one. That'll get you the power you need, especially once you get sharpened blade.

spirit blade/trap stops being useful really quickly. The thing with death is, you have to build up for damage (as Im sure you know already), but using feints or tri blades/traps prolongs the fights because they use a pip. Let's look at a real world example. Scarecrow costs 7 pips. If you use feint, spirit blade and spirit trap, you can expect to go 6 rounds before you can even attack. That's 6 rounds of taking damage from enemies. In the BEST possible circumstances:

Round 1 - 2 powerpips, use one for feint
Round 2 - 2 powerpips, use one for spirit blade
Round 3 - 2 powerpips, use one for spirit trap
Round 4 - 2 powerpips, deathblade
Round 5 - 3 powerpips, some other 0-pip blade/trap
Round 6 - 4 Powerpips, cast scarecrow

Think streamlining and you'll be able to hit earlier and with more power. This method worked for me, using my death, to solo all but the hardest fights in the game:

Round 1 - 2 powerpips, item card deathblade (0 pips used)
Round 2 - 3 powerpips, item card deathblade (0 pips used)
Round 3 - 4 powerpips, Scarecrow cast

if I needed even more power:

Round 1 - 2 powerpips, item card deathblade (0 pips used)
Round 2 - 3 powerpips, item card deathblade (0 pips used)
Round 3 - 3 powerpips, regular deathblade (0 pips used)
Round 4 - 4 powerpips, Scarecrow cast

As for the comment about learning one spell to knock off shields or not using prisms, dont bother with that. Grab a wand that uses life school hits and you'll never have to worry about wasting prisms, knocking off shields, or weaknesses

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
lewski on Sep 18, 2015 wrote:
I think you meant traps, and how would it sound weird to advise someone to get blades and traps?
ok sorry i didnt know they were called traps and i dont know what i meant by wierd

Survivor
Jun 26, 2010
TucsonWizard on Sep 18, 2015 wrote:
Tucson, Death mobs never use Life Shield.

OP,

Main Side Spells:
to Tower, Stun Block (6 points)
to Colossal, Potent Trap, and Sharpen Blade (7 points)
to Amplify, Fortify, Virulence, Vengeance, and Infalliable (5 points)
to Shrike (1 point)
to Spirit Blade and Trap (2 points)
Total Main Side Spell TP: 21 points

Optional Side Spells:
to Satyr (7 points) Death does not really need heals; they have drains
to Weakness (3 points)
to Cloak (1 point)
to Beserk (1 point)
Total Optional Side Spell TP: 12 points

Total Side Spell TP: 33 points (You have 46 if you do every single side quest for tp at level 100)

If I missed anything, plz reply and tell me what i missed.

Thank you!

Robert Lightstrider, Level 100
Robert Darkstrider, Level 81
Dylan Firewraith, Level 39
Robert Thunderstrider, Level 1

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I trained in myth up to Minotaur and then spent a point to get the mutate minotaur spell. Deadly minotaur is a death school spell, you can use power pips to cast it, deadly minotaur hits much harder than the myth version, and it has that nice ability to clear a shield out of the way before dealing most of its damage. I used it quit a bit until I lucked out and got the deer knight spell.

the downsides are that it won't work well with prisms, or any traps, you can't boost it with other sun spells like colossus, and it only has 80% accuracy like the original version.

But hey, it looks cool, people always commented when they saw me using it.
Since every life enemy knows death shield, and every ice enemy knows tower shield, it saves a lot of time not having to waste a turn to remove those shields.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
Would it make sense to train til Humongofrog since it gives another AOE and can take advantage of Spirit Blade, or is that a waste?

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
JohnJSal on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Would it make sense to train til Humongofrog since it gives another AOE and can take advantage of Spirit Blade, or is that a waste?
It'll be pretty much obsolete after you get Scarecrow.