Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do you guys handle darkmoor?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
I never even farmed for hades gear. I at most went for the felled titan blade which i got and was lucky to get the unseen lord's cinder boots when i fought hades the first [and last] time. But i see that many people have farmed darkmoor hundreds of times. I've done darkmoor at most 10 times probably less, and completed it two times, because all the other times people gave up and not without good reason. It's also a bit funny that malistaire says after you beat him "we will not meet again " and you see him a few hundred times more. And I don't see how people are able to manage these insane cheating bosses that take almost 2 hours each to beat and still do it over. I've never been an extreme player or PvPer so I've just stuck with the same hades boots and KH crafting gear, and I'm fine off, i don't think it's worth blowing so much time into an aggravating dungeon to have a chance at the rare gear but i see alot of people still manage to this like normal (and congrats to you). So is this to expect from all future bosses? A world of infinite cheats? Soloing as we know it done forever? every battle hours long? Survival only possible if you have best gear ever?

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Zachary Thunderfla... on Aug 4, 2015 wrote:
I never even farmed for hades gear. I at most went for the felled titan blade which i got and was lucky to get the unseen lord's cinder boots when i fought hades the first [and last] time. But i see that many people have farmed darkmoor hundreds of times. I've done darkmoor at most 10 times probably less, and completed it two times, because all the other times people gave up and not without good reason. It's also a bit funny that malistaire says after you beat him "we will not meet again " and you see him a few hundred times more. And I don't see how people are able to manage these insane cheating bosses that take almost 2 hours each to beat and still do it over. I've never been an extreme player or PvPer so I've just stuck with the same hades boots and KH crafting gear, and I'm fine off, i don't think it's worth blowing so much time into an aggravating dungeon to have a chance at the rare gear but i see alot of people still manage to this like normal (and congrats to you). So is this to expect from all future bosses? A world of infinite cheats? Soloing as we know it done forever? every battle hours long? Survival only possible if you have best gear ever?
I stopped fighting Malistaire Exalted and decided the next extreme boss I will face would be from the new Ultra dungeons. Especially since some of the gear from them can be seen either better or about equal in strength to the Malistaire exalt gear.

How I handle extreme bosses is that I like to not do them every single day, just when I want a nice thrill and I only do ONE a day.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Darkmoor is fun! Go with friends and a plan and you'll be fine. It took about 25 runs to get all the gear.
You could also skip it and used crafted stuff, or drops from the new ultra bosses.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Easy. I don't. I have 6 wizards who can get in, but I haven't done a single run with any of them.

None of my friends play anymore, and I don't like jumping into dungeons like that with random people I don't know. I got stung twice in Waterworks doing that.

So for now, Darkmoor is a no go. I just simply do not have the time nor patience to figure out how to solo that dungeon at Level 100.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
I skipped farming for Hades gear since Darkmoor was only 10 levels away. It was hard for me to handle Darkmoor at first because people would usually look for a jade life which I'm not, and they tend to replace people with lower stats. It's difficult at first having to learn all the cheats and finding a loyal team. Sometimes I would stand outside of Graveyard for up to two hours waiting for someone to accept me in their team. It would be annoying when people leave in the middle of a dungeon so I advise trying to join a team that someone is making instead of making your own because whenever I tried to invite my friends to form a team, one or more would always have to go at one point. But the excitement of having the best gear in the game helped me keep going. After getting used to Darkmoor, I made a lot of friends which made it easier to start a team and I also was able to develop strategies for the bosses such as Shane von Shane. I even spent a training point learning mass storm prism just for the sake of an effective strategy against Shane (I'm a life wizard). Depending on how well your team cooperates, Darkmoor runs can range from 45 min to 3 1/2 hours (That was my range). Strategy is the key for defeating the bosses, and if your team doesn't have one, you need to step up and help them out. After a month of farming, I got all the gear I needed: Undying Malistaire Set, Spirit of Darkmoor's Thorn, Spirit of Darkmoor's Jewel, Ring of the Usurper, and the Staff of the Undying Heart.

Luckily, since the release of the new ultra dungeons, the robe that Rattlebones drops and the hat that Krokopatra drops are better than the Darkmoor hat and robe (except for storm). That saves a lot of time farming at Darkmoor.

Happy Farming!
Fiona SummerBlossom

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Zachary Thunderfla... on Aug 4, 2015 wrote:
how does dr. von handle darkmoor?

short answer: she doesn't.

long answer: i enjoy a challenge now and then. but, then again, i have limited in-game time and can't play at peak hours (i'm on the east coast and i work late, meaning that my in-game hours usually fall between 1-6 in the morning atlantic time) and it usually takes me 1-2 hours just to find a team, never mind one that will actually finish the instance.

earlier in the year, i was off work for an extended period (for health reasons) and had a ton of free time... so i have more darkmoor runs under my belt than the average casual player. but, after 8 months and more than 500 runs, i don't have a full set on any of my 3 exalted wizards.

put simply, i am burnt out and am on a semipermanent hiatus from the whole thing~ dr. von has enough sense to quit while she's ahead; in other words, i stop when something is no longer fun.

everyone has a stress threshold, and mine has reached its limit, a thousand times over. i may go back eventually, but i'm currently avoiding castle dread-more like the (virulent) plague.

-von
exalted

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
Castle darkmoor is optional, not all the bosses are going to be that bad and not every battle will be hours long and survival is possible with friends