Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ways to do the "defeat and collect" quests faster!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
Hello Wizard101!

In my long time of experiences in this game, nothing has been more frustrating then the "defeat and collect" quests. Everywhere on these message boards, tons of frustrated wizards complain about these quests. Well, now I have discovered a pattern. I might just be delusional, (I eat a LOT of sugar ),but these are my 6 ways to do the "defeat and collect" quests faster!

1. Heal AT LEAST ONCE, twice if you can.
2. Don't use spells that attack all enemies.
3. Don't use critical or any one-hit kill attacks.
4. Use your wand attack.
5. Get someone else, preferably someone not doing the same quest, to join your duel.
6. As a general rule of thumb, act like you are putting on a show. Make the duel more intresting to watch. All of these can make a duel longer and harder, but better then doing 10 repetitive duels.

Well, these are my tips for these quests. Leave a comment about how succesful (or unsuccesful) you were using my tactics and I'll see you in the game!

Malorn Ravenfriend and and just a little

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
thats good thanks ill do that

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
I don't understand how your suggested method decreases the time it takes to collect items when they drop randomly.

1. Heal 1-2 times in the duel? Only if necessary, otherwise, why waste turns and Pips, which prolongs the duel.

2. Using AE spells finishes a duel much faster than ST attacks.

3. Critical attacks are by chance, and if successful, would also decrease the length of a duel.

4. Using solely wand attacks to attempt to defeat enemies, especially in higher level zones, is definitely going to increase the length of the duel.

5. I completely agree with you here. The additional player will bring at least one more mob adding an increased amount of drop items, and once again, decreasing the amount of time spent farming the item needed to fulfill the quest. Unless someone is on the same quest as you, there is no reason to join your duel, unless they are a helpful friend/player.

6. I don't understand how using only wand attacks, and self heals can attract others to join you. Collection item quests have different amounts to collect, so you when you are dueling 2 vs. 1, and both mobs drop the item that would be 5 duels max. Add one or more players, and you can collect very quickly.

Drop item quests can be boring, so the idea is to manage your Pips and Spell usage to minimize the amount of time spent on the duel and collect w/e item the quest giver wants ASAP so you can move on.

Your post title uses the word "faster" yet I don't understand how this method would be that, at all.

Best of luck to you on continuing this method in your progression.

Gabriel

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Malorn R on Mar 9, 2015 wrote:
Hello Wizard101!

In my long time of experiences in this game, nothing has been more frustrating then the "defeat and collect" quests. Everywhere on these message boards, tons of frustrated wizards complain about these quests. Well, now I have discovered a pattern. I might just be delusional, (I eat a LOT of sugar ),but these are my 6 ways to do the "defeat and collect" quests faster!

1. Heal AT LEAST ONCE, twice if you can.
2. Don't use spells that attack all enemies.
3. Don't use critical or any one-hit kill attacks.
4. Use your wand attack.
5. Get someone else, preferably someone not doing the same quest, to join your duel.
6. As a general rule of thumb, act like you are putting on a show. Make the duel more intresting to watch. All of these can make a duel longer and harder, but better then doing 10 repetitive duels.

Well, these are my tips for these quests. Leave a comment about how succesful (or unsuccesful) you were using my tactics and I'll see you in the game!

The content of your post contradicts the title. It's not a way to do them faster, as you said, the battles get longer and harder, but your strategy makes it far more entertaining to do Defeat&Collect quests. Good post!

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
My whole theory is that if you do these things, you are more likely to get the object you want, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I have just noticed that a long battle where you fight less powerfully, you are more likely to get the item than using a defeat-all-enemies attack in a battle over and over. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but after I started using it, I could get these quests done a lot faster. I don't mean to say this will make individual duels faster, but you will be more likely to get the item. I am not completely sure, but this is what the evidence shows.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
You know, I'll have to try these! That kind of quest will get quite repetitive, especially when they are as slow as we have all experienced in the past. Thanks!

Daniel S.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
Hi there.

I been helping a lot of strangers and friends in "Defeat and collect" quests and from my expirience is that you need to put lowest AOE in deck as well serious critical rate. Of course with just aditional second player you increase your odds for getting item you need no matter how much you battle. Its bad idea when player which needs quest item goes second to avoid attack in first round ends up getting only 1 item of 3 items. Basicly you need items lets say 3, in first battle you might get 2 items but also 1 (sometimes) with one more player added you get 1 item maybe 2 or 3 ( sometimes ). Pattern is when you join battle solo against 2 mobs you are fighing over 1 item and second player added in battle gives you chance to battle for 2 items so its solo battle with high critical and Aoe best way to do it. To collect 1 item quest is ok but trying to get 8 items is long process anyways. Fast Aoe kills are better then one long battle with "maybe" feeling trough battle.

This stuff are random so i put low spells deck and put max Aoe. 2 satyr just in case, school blades and sharpen blade. I recommend Starter deck for solo players and lots of music to pump the mood lol
Advice for helpers dont allow player with quest to go second or he/ she will not get full items for that battle.
My worst "defeat and collect" was Fire lions in Zafaria place savannah it was long battle over 8 fire staff to collect i think everyone which pass that can remember time to times lol.

My advice is keep on kicking those quests as everyone does. 1.AOE, 2.Boom and 3. Call for next battle.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
Malorn R on Mar 10, 2015 wrote:
My whole theory is that if you do these things, you are more likely to get the object you want, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I have just noticed that a long battle where you fight less powerfully, you are more likely to get the item than using a defeat-all-enemies attack in a battle over and over. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but after I started using it, I could get these quests done a lot faster. I don't mean to say this will make individual duels faster, but you will be more likely to get the item. I am not completely sure, but this is what the evidence shows.

Idk if that exactly how it works. I'm under the impression that each item has a certain percent change to drop DEPENDING on the quest your doing. Some quests are just easier to collect stuff than other because each one has a fixed dropped rate, not because of the way you actually fight the battle.

-JohnAshdust 95

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Malorn R on Mar 10, 2015 wrote:

What you do in the battle has no effect whatsoever on your drops. That's just a myth. No matter what you do in the battle, you won't be any more likely to get an item. It's not really evidence you have, it's either just coincidence or a psychological thing where you'd like an increased drop rate if you do these things so you start to feel like you actually get more drops even though you don't.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
I'm with Lewski on this one.
I've brought 6 characters through an unbelieveable amount of defeat and collects, mostly with a second wizard who quests along side with me.
We get random amounts of collects no matter how we fight.
This is no different than the hatching of pets, the crit rate, and the boss drops...
Completely Random

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
Used these tactics, and won the battle. also got the armor for the quest that I'm on. Thank you so much for the tips!

- Wolf Dragoncaller, Master Theurgist

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I quest two wizards at a time. The drops are completely random.

In the exact same battle, I can have one wizard collect 3 and the other collect 0. One will collect 2, the other just 1. Sometimes both will get nothing. It doesn't matter whose spell delivered the kill shot neither, though some people are 100% convinced this also has some sort of bearing on drops, both for collect quests and items in general.

I wish there was a system that worked, but about the only thing I've noticed is that with some of the new(ish) dungeon bosses, your drops suck if you finish the duels quickly.

Barkingham Palace for instance, I was noticing I couldn't get any good drops at the end unless I waited until Dr. Jackall transformed into Mr. Hound. It could have just been incredibly bad luck, but I did about 10 runs finishing the battle before he transformed and neither of my wizards (playing 2 accounts at the same time) would get much, if anything.

Drops seemed to improve significantly once I started waiting that extra round or two to deliver the final blow, but even at that the drops were still random. Sometimes one wizard or the other still wouldn't get much, or what they got wasn't all that special, and the gear I was farming was still hard to come by.

However that's the only thing I've ever noticed where what you do in battle may (or may not, I don't know) affect drop rates. Again, it could have just been terribly bad luck on the other runs where I was getting nothing.