Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Understanding Critical Hit Rating

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 29, 2012
I see higher level wizards with gear that will give them +300 crit and I wanted to know how the percentage works because I always thought it was 300% critical chance but I don't think I'm right. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
theurgistswag on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
I see higher level wizards with gear that will give them +300 crit and I wanted to know how the percentage works because I always thought it was 300% critical chance but I don't think I'm right. Can someone please explain? Thanks!
What's important to remember is that critical rating is not always displayed as a percentage. If you go to your character stat page and navigate to the critical chance area you'll get a better idea of how it works. Hover your mouse over any of the schools and you'll see your chances broken down by their source - ie. 5% from your wand, 10% from your helmet, 8% from your pet - etc. At any rate, you'll notice that the numbers for critical rating are higher than your percentage chance. You might have a rating of 50 but the percentage chances only total up to about 10%. If I remember correctly it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% ratio. 5 rating = 1% chance, 10 rating = 2% chance etc. The same sort of rationale applies to critical block as well but the ratio is different.
In your example, a 300 critical rating equals about a 60% chance of doing a critical hit.
This example is not 100% accurate but it should give you a basic idea of how it works.