Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Darkmoor drops are too low

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
This is making me very mad. I demand Kingsisle to change the drop rate of the gear that drops from Malistare in Darkmoor. I have farmed it over and over, but to get junk? HOURS of working hard, making strategies, to just get junk? I don't think so! If we wanted the ''junk'' we would farm the other bosses. Malistare should only drop his gear, not junk. This isn't fair.

Some people already have their gear, and only farmed it like 5 times! This is so unfair!

I got the following items for killing Malistare, instead of getting his gear. I have farmed him too many times to get the junk.

- 1857 Gold
- 283 Gold
- Bread Fruit Tree
- Bronze Gear
- Handsome Formori (Treasure Card)
- Wolfbane Loop (Seriously? Not even an upgrade from the gear from Aquila)

I'm so disappointed. Kingsisle, please increase the drop rate, as I am not the only one upset about this.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
The drops rates arent too low there to high got the full malistaire set from only 2 runs.

Note: Using doom to kill malistaire faster lowers the drop rate, it has been tested.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
I've done the Graveyard around 16 times now on my fire, and have received the wand twice and the robe once. However, I haven't gotten anything for the past 10 runs. At first the drop rates were amazing, being that I got one item every other run, but now I am suspecting that the drop rates were lowered. All times I have used doom to kill Malistaire, and I've fled about 1/2 of my runs, including the run where I got the robe, so I'm not sure if I have been doing something wrong for the past 10 runs or what.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
I am glad, I am not the only one that feels this way! I have ran 5 of my 6 wizards at least 3 to 4 times each, with exception of my Balance who has done about 10 runs...but honestly, I lost count! I have only received 1 piece of Malistaire gear on three of those wizards. Storm hat, Life hat and Balance robe. I have not received anything since other than tcs, reagents, or duplicate of items that are not needed, nor can I use! Darkmoor is way too hard and long of a dungeon to not receive something in at least 1 of every 3 to 4 runs and that is if you are lucky enough to get to finish the dungeon because of people fleeing which is another topic!

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
Anything worth having is worth working for...

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
QueenKitty025 on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
The drops rates arent too low there to high got the full malistaire set from only 2 runs.

Note: Using doom to kill malistaire faster lowers the drop rate, it has been tested.
No, using Doom doesn't matter. That's just superstition.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
You know, you are right; however, for as much as I truly love playing Wizards, having to invest 3 to 4 hours to complete this dungeon and that is, if you are lucky enough to do so because of those that flee during the first or second battle more often than not and having to start over multiple times, for the hopes of getting ONE piece of gear that is just a little better than the Hades gear, isn't worth it! Just something to consider, having multiple wizards that can be brought through this dungeon will become monotonous and boring! I know for one, if something doesn't change not all my wizards are going to be brought through this dungeon!

If you are going to make the bosses better and stronger with cheats that are way beyond unfair...even for a game. Like getting to blade, bubble, trap and hit all in one turn to the wizards ONE turn is unbelievable! Let alone their out of turn multiple spams and then we having to wait for their minions to hit as well! Their piercing is way too high for us wizards no matter how we prepare, even with Jade gear. I understand KI may be trying to make the game a little more challenging for the adults that are playing, which is a good thing but I think you may have lost sight of this game being fun filled family oriented game not Worlds of War Craft. If KI is going to make the game more challenging, with these types of bosses, then I feel it only right you do something to make us wizards bigger, better and stronger. Way better gear than what has been created giving more strength, pierce resist, block, shadow, etc. just to even the playing field is one suggestion. As well as letting loose or making the Malistaire gear better. Understand programming is time consuming but I think this something that should have been thought about from the beginning.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Destiny Winter on Dec 13, 2014 wrote:
Yes, that's true. But what about the people that get the gear on their first try? When can I have luck?

Defender
Nov 11, 2008
That only applies to real life.

If I play Wizard101 it should be for stress RELIEF; it should not be causing my stress.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
If that's the case, then it stands to reason why people are upset with having lottery drops instead of guaranteed rewards.

People aren't buying a ticket on the Malistaire Sweepstakes to have a chance at winning his gear. They're investing time into a serious challenge and getting no return on their investment.

Imagine you go to work and all you get is a chance for a paycheque. Do you really want to go back to that job if you see one person lucking out and getting a paycheque every week, but you've worked for 2 months and got nothing?

That's what irritates people. You put in all that work for nothing. If all it is going to be is a game of chance, then give us a daily raffle to win it.

I haven't bothered looking up the gear to see what makes it great, but if it's anything like Waterworks gear, it's going to be virtually essential just to survive upcoming worlds, let alone excel. Stuff like that shouldn't be darn near impossible to acquire. Make something like a special mount, or special appearance gear the hard to get stuff... something people can show off, but also something that the average player doesn't really need. It should be enough to satisfy the hardcore gamers without alienating the casual players.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
Amen to that High Five! I didn't think games were created to cause STRESS...they are created to be fun and enjoyable! I don't think people even get upset at not getting lotto drops...disappointed maybe because they don't have to invest 4 hours out of their day in hopes that their numbers come in! They pick their numbers, hand someone some cash and go about their business...no muss, no fuss and I know, no one would take a job with the hopes of getting a pay check!

From what I have seen of the Malistaire gear, both Waterworks and Hades gear give better stats! The only thing that those two sets of gear doesn't have is the 2% shadow enhancements with the exception of the storm gear giving better accuracy. Malistaire gear gives more critical, which by the way the new bosses ALWAYS block...so whats the point! Takes away damage, lowers block depending on what you already have, I think may give MINIMAL pierce and shadow enhancement. Some other options too but don't remember off the top of my head.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
High Five Ghost on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
If that's the case, then it stands to reason why people are upset with having lottery drops instead of guaranteed rewards.

People aren't buying a ticket on the Malistaire Sweepstakes to have a chance at winning his gear. They're investing time into a serious challenge and getting no return on their investment.

Imagine you go to work and all you get is a chance for a paycheque. Do you really want to go back to that job if you see one person lucking out and getting a paycheque every week, but you've worked for 2 months and got nothing?

That's what irritates people. You put in all that work for nothing. If all it is going to be is a game of chance, then give us a daily raffle to win it.

I haven't bothered looking up the gear to see what makes it great, but if it's anything like Waterworks gear, it's going to be virtually essential just to survive upcoming worlds, let alone excel. Stuff like that shouldn't be darn near impossible to acquire. Make something like a special mount, or special appearance gear the hard to get stuff... something people can show off, but also something that the average player doesn't really need. It should be enough to satisfy the hardcore gamers without alienating the casual players.
I wish more players who are saying "you have to work for it" would use your logic. Lottery is not work. Lottery is luck or addiction until success, but not work.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Lucas Rain on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
I wish more players who are saying "you have to work for it" would use your logic. Lottery is not work. Lottery is luck or addiction until success, but not work.
I agree but disagree.
Yes, Lottery is based of RNG (Randon Number Generator).
Here is a hint on how to be successful and yet not addicted.
Well yeah hint but this is how I play.
I have All Schools at Exalted and 1 more fire at Archmage. Some people call me no life and stuff but I know how to play while developing a strategy.
From level 1-25 do at least 4 levels a day. That's it. Don't go beyond that.
Levels 26-60 try doing 2 levels a day not beyond that.
(Also try playing only when you feel like you can handle it. Don't play when the following is met: You are stressed, You don't feel well, You are bored from the game- When bored from the game I recommend stop playing and do something else (Not in other games but irl).)'
From level 60-89 do 1 level a day or If you can make that 1 level in not more than 1 hour then you can do another level. From levels 90-100 try doing half a level a day.
Same goes to those dungeons. Try not doing Darkmoor more than twice a week. IT will stress you allot if you go beyond that. NEVER EVER do it.
There are techniques and tricks how to avoid addiction, no life play. And these are little tips of how it works for me while staying on top in college and having fun in game and also work. (These things won't work for everyone so I recommend finding out what works best for you.)

Nicholas Star

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
mykola230 on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
I agree but disagree.
Yes, Lottery is based of RNG (Randon Number Generator).
Here is a hint on how to be successful and yet not addicted.
Well yeah hint but this is how I play.
I have All Schools at Exalted and 1 more fire at Archmage. Some people call me no life and stuff but I know how to play while developing a strategy.
From level 1-25 do at least 4 levels a day. That's it. Don't go beyond that.
Levels 26-60 try doing 2 levels a day not beyond that.
(Also try playing only when you feel like you can handle it. Don't play when the following is met: You are stressed, You don't feel well, You are bored from the game- When bored from the game I recommend stop playing and do something else (Not in other games but irl).)'
From level 60-89 do 1 level a day or If you can make that 1 level in not more than 1 hour then you can do another level. From levels 90-100 try doing half a level a day.
Same goes to those dungeons. Try not doing Darkmoor more than twice a week. IT will stress you allot if you go beyond that. NEVER EVER do it.
There are techniques and tricks how to avoid addiction, no life play. And these are little tips of how it works for me while staying on top in college and having fun in game and also work. (These things won't work for everyone so I recommend finding out what works best for you.)

Nicholas Star
That is great anti-burnout advice. I'm going to remember that. I had 3 Darkmoor attempts last week, and it nearly flatlined me.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2010
QueenKitty025 on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:

Even though I have had a lot of thought on this topic, I have to agree. The drop rates are a bit high, I got my storm full set from 2 runs as well. But I think I know how to raise your chance of getting better drops. in each run I did, when I fought malistair I never died, this includes fighting his regular and shadow form. The other wizards I went through the dungeon with died in each boss against each form. They never got anything but since I stayed alive both times for both fights I got 2 drops per run. This may be just luck, or this could boost the rate. I have no idea, but I believe we can all agree on 1 thing and that's dark or has to be nerfed!

Hang in there you will get the gear eventually

Wolf stormcloud level 100

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Wolf Storm103 on Dec 16, 2014 wrote:
Even though I have had a lot of thought on this topic, I have to agree. The drop rates are a bit high, I got my storm full set from 2 runs as well. But I think I know how to raise your chance of getting better drops. in each run I did, when I fought malistair I never died, this includes fighting his regular and shadow form. The other wizards I went through the dungeon with died in each boss against each form. They never got anything but since I stayed alive both times for both fights I got 2 drops per run. This may be just luck, or this could boost the rate. I have no idea, but I believe we can all agree on 1 thing and that's dark or has to be nerfed!

Hang in there you will get the gear eventually

Wolf stormcloud level 100
I do agree on the part.
If you die even once all the progress will be reset.
Think of it as an experience bar. The more you stay alive the better the chance of you getting what you want but if you die you have to start all over.
:)
Nicholas Star

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
That is great anti-burnout advice. I'm going to remember that. I had 3 Darkmoor attempts last week, and it nearly flatlined me.
Yeah.
when I started to test this technique I started from doing Darkmoor 4 times a week. Well I guess you can imagine what it was for me. I had to stop playing for entire week after doing this experiment.
When I went down to 3 it was still a disaster. But It wasn't as bad as 4 times.
When I got to 2 times a week I felt like it's the top you can go in this dungeon with having some breaks in the week and still be able to stay on the point of getting the items you need.
1 time I think works best of all but if you are one of those people that really want to get the stuff you need like right away. Then I wouldn't go beyond 2 times a week.

Nicholas Star

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Yeah, it's good to pace yourself. I love all the new dungeons, but get stressed if I try to do too much.

One fun run is better than two bad ones.

The drops seem about right now. You don't get good stuff every time, but it's not as bad as Tar or Morganthe. At least it feels like there's a point and a chance at something good. The mastery amulets should be able to trade though. It's depressing to get something you can't even equip but could use on another wiz

Survivor
Feb 25, 2011
Its just a bunch of luck but I do think that your drop rate chance should should increase the more times you do Darkmoor. Which apparently they do not.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
I mean there are many theories, but would it seriously hurt them to increase the drop rate? I farm Darkmoor once a day and I have no luck.

Survivor
May 25, 2010
I agree with a couple of these posts, darkmoor can take 3-5 hours just to complete, and finding two mist wood, those forsaken bread fruit fruit, and some pocket change, Is not appealing at all, even just forming a team is a struggle taking up to even a hour(Not even mentioning people who leave mid run) I try to do 3 runs a day, I have done around 10-11 (lost track at this point) runs since I got here all the way, not one tier1 armor piece or even accessory, not even a tier2 I strongly believe that at the third floor of darkmoor, remove the tier3 junk and just leave tier 2 and 1 gear drops, and/or increase drop rates this is a little rediculous at the rate this is going...

Survivor
Oct 01, 2011
eSnowFrost on Dec 7, 2014 wrote:
This is making me very mad. I demand Kingsisle to change the drop rate of the gear that drops from Malistare in Darkmoor. I have farmed it over and over, but to get junk? HOURS of working hard, making strategies, to just get junk? I don't think so! If we wanted the ''junk'' we would farm the other bosses. Malistare should only drop his gear, not junk. This isn't fair.

Some people already have their gear, and only farmed it like 5 times! This is so unfair!

I got the following items for killing Malistare, instead of getting his gear. I have farmed him too many times to get the junk.

- 1857 Gold
- 283 Gold
- Bread Fruit Tree
- Bronze Gear
- Handsome Formori (Treasure Card)
- Wolfbane Loop (Seriously? Not even an upgrade from the gear from Aquila)

I'm so disappointed. Kingsisle, please increase the drop rate, as I am not the only one upset about this.
i know right, if it didnt take at least 2 and a half hour i wouldnt mind but seriously. for the first too runs i did it, i got wand hat and boots, but know i have done malistaire for 6 runs and i have nothing, not even doubles of anything good. all that time was wasted. i even tried the no flee thing at malistaire 3 times and i got nothing. seriously people cant farm their whole entire lives for one robe seriously kingsisle increase drop rate or make it so dungeon doesnt take as long

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
It's unfair that they lowered the rates. The ones who did it at first got better rates and got their gear faster, while the late comers have to farm longer? Also, I agree with the one who said your rates should increase the more you do the dungeon. KI, please.

Defender
May 09, 2010
Nerfing Darkmoor big-time wouldn't lead to ANYTHING different then they scenario we already have. People would still complain about not getting the stuff that they wanted. And people that already have they're stuff would keep on saying that it's "easy" and "you'll get it in no time."
Besides, this game has been needing a hard dungeon for a while. I don't think Tartarus counts; It was hard, but nothing compared to this. Hey, you're guaranteed a drop of your school every time. But no one ever said it was what you want.
Yes, the dungeon is long. But if you make time for it, it can actually be quite fun. Deep into battle, I often turn to Youtube, and watch things while I play, and pause the video when i need to think about choosing my next spell.

The point is....Nerfing the dungeon would not solve any of the problems people are experiencing with it. The only problem I see that it has currently (from my experiences) is the time it takes to finish. I think that's what really itches people off. And besides, you have plenty of time from now until the next expansion to farm that dungeon. And no one is making you do it, so don't complain on the choices you make. You decided to delve time into that dungeon, So expect failure, setbacks, and disappointment. I spent 2 years with the same waterworks gear. From Avalon to Khrysalis. I can personally tell you, that you do not need the dungeon gear to be successful in the long term. PVP is a different story, and a story for another time indeed.

Blaze Stormmancer- Victor Of Kan Davasi

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Sarah Waterbreeze on Jan 2, 2015 wrote:
It's unfair that they lowered the rates. The ones who did it at first got better rates and got their gear faster, while the late comers have to farm longer? Also, I agree with the one who said your rates should increase the more you do the dungeon. KI, please.
The rates have not changed.