Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reagent Recycling :)

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
This is an idea I thought of a while back and figured I'd run it by some of you.

So, let's say you craft a robe at level 70. Once you hit level 80, maybe you want to upgrade or craft something better... but you don't want to farm or harvest all those annoyingly-rare reagents yet again.

What if, instead, you could bring the old crafted gear to an NPC vendor (or whatever you want to call it) and trade in the gear for your reagents back, so you could then use them for something else. Like feeding gear to your pet, but useful (especially for rare stuff, like sunstone, amber, and turquoise).

Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged :)

-von

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
That's an avenue that should be explored. I'd still see value in this even if the new NPC vendor only returned a percentage (say, 50%) of your reagents to you.

Questions,
  • Could you buy other people's crafted items at bazaar and have it decomposed into reagents?
  • Could you recycle anything that has a recipe, or would this be limited to gear and housing items only, or could you also recycle reagents and treasure cards?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Dr Von on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
This is an idea I thought of a while back and figured I'd run it by some of you.

So, let's say you craft a robe at level 70. Once you hit level 80, maybe you want to upgrade or craft something better... but you don't want to farm or harvest all those annoyingly-rare reagents yet again.

What if, instead, you could bring the old crafted gear to an NPC vendor (or whatever you want to call it) and trade in the gear for your reagents back, so you could then use them for something else. Like feeding gear to your pet, but useful (especially for rare stuff, like sunstone, amber, and turquoise).

Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged :)

-von
I love this idea!!

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I like this idea. Crafted gear chop shop!!!!

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Grandmaster Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Magus Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Initiate Theurgist

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
maybe you could get half the reagents back because a full refund isn't neessary and it would make it too easy to craft

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You cannot turn a cake back into flour, eggs, milk, butter and sugar. While I'm opposed to the idea, if it were done it should be only like 20% of the recipe. You don't even get that much back in gold for reselling, why should reagents be any different? Also, as Lucas pointed out, what stops you from taking a TC that only sells for 200 gold, "recycling" it then selling all the ingredients for 1000's? I don't really see it as feasible idea unless the returned ingredients are only a chance for a small percentage of each. Like feeding a pet or a silver chest or fishing chests. Returning all rare ingredients would defeat the point of anything being rare.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Lucas Rain on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
That's an avenue that should be explored. I'd still see value in this even if the new NPC vendor only returned a percentage (say, 50%) of your reagents to you.

Questions,
  • Could you buy other people's crafted items at bazaar and have it decomposed into reagents?
  • Could you recycle anything that has a recipe, or would this be limited to gear and housing items only, or could you also recycle reagents and treasure cards?
Hi there~ 50% is still a reasonable amount, given the time and effort required to get them in the first place. And, to answer your questions:

Could you buy other people's crafted items at bazaar and have it decomposed into reagents?

Nope, your stuff only.

Could you recycle anything that has a recipe, or would this be limited to gear and housing items only, or could you also recycle reagents and treasure cards?

Gear and housing items only. Houses, treasure cards, and transmuted reagents would all be no-go.

Hope this makes sense, sorta.

-v.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
seethe42 on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
You cannot turn a cake back into flour, eggs, milk, butter and sugar. While I'm opposed to the idea, if it were done it should be only like 20% of the recipe. You don't even get that much back in gold for reselling, why should reagents be any different? Also, as Lucas pointed out, what stops you from taking a TC that only sells for 200 gold, "recycling" it then selling all the ingredients for 1000's? I don't really see it as feasible idea unless the returned ingredients are only a chance for a small percentage of each. Like feeding a pet or a silver chest or fishing chests. Returning all rare ingredients would defeat the point of anything being rare.
No, you can't un-bake a cake. But you can take apart a car/computer/whatever for spare parts.

As I said in my reply to Lucas:

each player would only be able to recycle gear that she has crafted herself- houses, treasure cards, and transmuted reagents would not. This also means that crafted stuff in the bazaar is not fair game.

For people who have the time to farm, this may be a non-issue. But it would be a huge boon to those of us who don't.

-v.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
No, you can't un-bake a cake. But you can take apart a car/computer/whatever for spare parts.

As I said in my reply to Lucas:

each player would only be able to recycle gear that she has crafted herself- houses, treasure cards, and transmuted reagents would not. This also means that crafted stuff in the bazaar is not fair game.

For people who have the time to farm, this may be a non-issue. But it would be a huge boon to those of us who don't.

-v.
So you are saying that rings and gear aren't a magical recipe to create something new, but just the sum of the parts you put in? So the my Barbaric Footwear is really a pair of shoes just cobbled together using Perfect Citrines, Pristine Vials, Ancient Parchments, Springs, Grendleweed, Sunstones, Kelp and Fish Scales? Sounds very functional and fashionable. How many rings have you seen made out of 15 Stone Blocks? You cannot turn things back into a former state. You understood perfectly well the baking analogy. Boots made from transforming only Agave Leaves, Nectar, a couple Pearls and Turquoise and some Shield cards clearly are NOT the same as a car/computer you could take apart for spare parts.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
seethe42 on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
So you are saying that rings and gear aren't a magical recipe to create something new, but just the sum of the parts you put in? So the my Barbaric Footwear is really a pair of shoes just cobbled together using Perfect Citrines, Pristine Vials, Ancient Parchments, Springs, Grendleweed, Sunstones, Kelp and Fish Scales? Sounds very functional and fashionable. How many rings have you seen made out of 15 Stone Blocks? You cannot turn things back into a former state. You understood perfectly well the baking analogy. Boots made from transforming only Agave Leaves, Nectar, a couple Pearls and Turquoise and some Shield cards clearly are NOT the same as a car/computer you could take apart for spare parts.
A machine is the sum of its parts: parts that can be dismantled and reused.

Can you un-bake a cake? No.
Can you make clothing out of rocks, plants, paper, and fish scales? Also no.

This is a fantasy game. It's not supposed to be realistic. That''s the entire point.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
A machine is the sum of its parts: parts that can be dismantled and reused.

Can you un-bake a cake? No.
Can you make clothing out of rocks, plants, paper, and fish scales? Also no.

This is a fantasy game. It's not supposed to be realistic. That''s the entire point.
Yes it's a fantasy game where you are using spells and a recipe of ingredients to create something new. You already used the ingredients and spells and made something new. Just basic logic, to undo that you would need a new set of ingredients and spells and another recipe. I'm sure that idea doesn't appeal to you though, since you seem to want everything for nothing. If the ingredients are so dear, don't craft things you don't plan on keeping. The crafting ingredients change from world to world anyways. Azteca came out, suddenly you needed Turquoise... Khrysalis came out, don't see much use for it anymore. You are arguing both sides of the coin though. One one side you say "you can take apart a car/computer/whatever for spare parts." On the other you say "This is a fantasy game. It's not supposed to be realistic." You cannot really have it both ways. I do agree it's a magical transformation and fantasy, but that also follows that you cannot simply take it apart for spare parts.