Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shrike is broken vs low levels in ranked pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 12, 2012
I don't have a problem with shrike vs same level players, but against lower levels in ranked it is completely broken.

I am a level 61 warlord 1500 rating, I get put up against level 95 wizard quite often, now i have to stack my deck with spells to completely counter this play style and ignore all other competitors. Why? I don't have enough base hit points to survive one 8 pip attack. I seem to always play from second vs these players, not only is it an uphill battle 2.5k hp vs 4k+ hp, but with the outrageous damage, pierce and, resist these players already have, I am forced to setup from the start to counter shrike. Why this is so bad? I cannot use shields or pips if they get a shadow pip, it is a mechanic i do not have access too and completely unfair, and it allows for unbladed 1hko against lower level players.

My suggestion, remove players that get shadow spells from getting matched against level 90 and below, or remove it from play.

I do not think shadow spells are overpowered or am I complaining about their play at higher levels, but against lower levels it forces a mechanic that allows for unskilled players to completely kill lower levels with 0 setup. primarily balance. shrike judge shrike judge shrike judge until I give up from ranked play.

I understand that stuns help, but again 1 round shrike judge no way to counter that from second through shields and weakness i am looking at 3k damage. more hp that i can get with my level.

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
I guess being a warlord is a factor!

Antonio Sandshade, Level 50 Grandmaster Pyromancer

Explorer
Dec 30, 2009
I hate to be a Debby Downer but in the Update Notes they said
Shadow Magic can be used in all PvP young Wizards, so this should make things very interesting..."
It is quite unfair but the simple answer is, level up so you can get Shadow Magic yourself and use it back at the other player.

It probably also doesn't help that you are a warlord.

I have noticed that despite your level, if you are a warlord, it shows you have experience and because you have experience at a low level, you can take up the challenge. I realize a 34 level difference is quite a lot, it should be 10-15 level difference max but waiting for someone with a similar level and rank can take a while, and I think the goal of the new system was to make your wait time a lot quicker.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
TTD Fan on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
Shadow Magic can be used in all PvP young Wizards, so this should make things very interesting..."
It is quite unfair but the simple answer is, level up so you can get Shadow Magic yourself and use it back at the other player.

I have noticed that despite your level, if you are a warlord, it shows you have experience and because you have experience at a low level, you can take up the challenge. I realize a 34 level difference is quite a lot, it should be 10-15 level difference max but waiting for someone with a similar level and rank can take a while, and I think the goal of the new system was to make your wait time a lot quicker.
Experience does not help against much higher level players that critical every attack and nullify your resist with shrike. My balance is level 50 with a rating of 2358. I battle many players that use shadow shrike and critical gear, and thus, I have quit pvp. Shrike destroys my resist. Critical takes away my health quickly. I can't do either of these things, as these players have 3500+ health, and can do damage to me so quickly that I have to shield or heal almost every round. To do that much damage, I would need 4-6 blades. I do not have time to do this; if I tried to blade stack, I would not be using defensive cards, and would die. It never has been, and never will be, fair to put a lower level player against someone much higher/max level.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
TTD Fan on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:

Ah, so that is the solution now, isn't it? I think that we should feel able to compete at all levels and all ranks and still have a fair chance at winning. Now, instead of reverting shadow magic, I think a better solution would be to fixed the rank system. Experience doesn't really save you from a one shot 2nd turn efreet.

AKA make it so you can't face anyone 30 levels higher than you or below you.