Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mythology Allusions in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Spiral emperor on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
But then wouldn't it be medieval mythology?!
Well technically, no. At this point in time, Europeans no longer believed in the existence of multiple gods since much of Europe's religion was Christianity. But, in a sense you are correct. These creatures were myths technically. I'd prefer not to get too into it, as this is not the place to do this.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
Orthrus is a real thing. Orthrus is brother to Cerberus. Orthrus was the pet of Geryon, a six armed, six legged, and 3 headed giant who guarded red cattle. Orthrus had a master name Eurytion. Hercules came along a slayed both the giant and dog in his Ten Labours quest. You should look it up.
You are correct. Eurytion, Orthrus and Geryon were in fact mythological beings. But, you are incorrect on the matter of Hercules slaying them. As the last of his 10 labors, he did in fact come to the ranch of Geryon but did not in fact, slay him. Hercules instead redirected a river nearby to clean out the stalls that housed flesh-eating horses. Geryon did in fact own Orthrus but Eurytion was not in fact the master of Orthrus.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Polaris closer alludes to Russia (and France) than Dragonspyre. But many worlds a mixing-pot of several themes. Dragonspyre's architecture is strongly Greek and Byzantine Empire influenced, while the idea of making organized, war-like and conquering people brought about the use of Russian accents. There are some Spanish accented inhabitors of Dragonspyre. It's primary allusion though, is the erruption of Mount Vesuvius.

They're are quite a number of mythological references throughout KI's games. For example, while Pirate101 Aquila had tons of Greek references stuffed in it, Wizard101 had many tidbits such as:
-the appearance of Ladon in the Garden of Hesparides
-Silenus was a satyr and real figure in Greek mythology.
-the Dimachaerus, which were actual warriors who fought with dual-swords and little armor
-Lamia, who, in reality, was a women cursed by Hera to be blind and eat children
-Arion, who was an actual poet that ended up pirated by, well, pirates
-Akheilos was, in real Greek myth, a beautiful man who was cursed to be a water demon by Aphrodite for being better looking than her and even mocking her.
-Stheno, in Tartarus, is one of the two sisters of Medusa, who actually made an appearance as a boss on Pirate101
-Cronos was sealed away in the Cave of Nyx in Tartarus in real Greek mythology, and Nyx is the goddess of Darkness

Our main story does have some Norse mythological references. In cosmology, it was believed that there were nine worlds surrounding a center tree named, Yggdrasil. This is very close to how Bartleby is the center of the Spiral and all other worlds circle around him.

There are many more references, but I'll stop there. You'll find many more as the story goes on.
Sorry, not quite correct on the matter of bartleby. If you walk into the room where gamma is, you will see a model of the spiral with Wizard City in the center and all other worlds circling around it. This is why the students of Pigswick Academy in Wysteria are horrible wizards and why they cheat. If the teachers and students of Pigswick Academy were to visit Wizard City, they may then realize that the Ravenwood type of magic is far more appropriate and closer to the past events that formed the spiral. Bartleby is in fact the very center of the spiral but as Bartleby has told us, Headmaster Merle Ambrose discovered Bartleby and formed the Ravenwood School of Magical Arts and Wizard City to protect him.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
AntonioFireMender on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
Orthurus is'nt real! It is a copy of Cerberus

AntonioFiremender lvl46 fire
uh... look him up. Orthrus is the brother of Cerebus. Orthrus was owned by a three headed giant and in charge of guarding his red cattle.

~AngelcatDemondog

Survivor
Dec 02, 2011
Orthrus is a real thing. Orthrus is brother to Cerberus. Orthrus was the pet of Geryon, a six armed, six legged, and 3 headed giant who guarded red cattle. Orthrus had a master name Eurytion. Hercules came along a slayed both the giant and dog in his Ten Labours quest. You should look it up.
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

AntonioFiremender lvl46 fire

P.S Sorry about that.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Orthrus is actually not a copy of Cerberus they are siblings and despite being called medusa the spell in which a snake woman burst out of the ground wielding two daggers actually resembles Echidna whom was the mother of Othrus,Cerberus,Lernaean Hydra, and the Chimera to name a few

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
AntonioFireMender on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
You mean Hitler? Or Stalin? Reply AngelcatDemondog

AntonioFiremender lvl 46 fire
Stalin. I did some research after that post and the guy didn't resemble Malistare that much. If you want to find out more you are going to have to research more because i attempted to post a reply correcting my mistake, but apparently it violated the code of conduct.

~AngelcatDemondog

Defender
Oct 21, 2010
AngelcatDemondog on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
Wizard101 has alot of mythology allusions (references) in the game. Some of the mythology isn't well explained sometimes or doesn't match up to my research. Also there is some common questions that keep on reappearing wherever i go in the wizards community (Wizards fan section of deviantart, youtube, etc.) so i am going to answer them here

Medusa: The story Ivan told us about Medusa isn't even close to any of my sources! (there are a lot) I think Kingsisle is trying to censor some of the content in the medusa story. According to my research, Medusa and Poseidon were, umm... kissing in Athena's temple. Athena being enraged turned Medusa's hair (her most loved feature) into snakes

Orthrus: Orthrus really has a serpentine tail, not a dog tail

Kirin: Ms. Courtney Olivia, this is for you since you commonly asked this question in your videos, Kirins are Chinese unicorns. They ride through town when a sage or emperor is coming.

Drake: There are a few versions of a drake. My mom's version is a smaller and tamer version of a dragon. There are no such things as dragon riders, dragons are too wild, people ride drakes. I also THINK this is the view Kingsisle is taking. I found Drakes to be wingless male dragons.

Anyway, i hope that helped y'all out some. If you have anymore questions you can post them below or do research (the web is a wonderful thing)

~Angelcatdemondog- Mythology, astrology, and astronomy nerd
Very interesting post here.

-See Ya In The Spiral!!

Julia DragonLeaf

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
There were dragons in Norse and Greek mythology, right?

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
The civilizations and myths I am more familiar with are as follows:

Greek/Roman

Egyptian

Norse

Aztec

Incan

Mayan

The following civilizations and myths I am less or unfamiliar with are as follows:

Krampus- I am unsure of the culture it comes from

Any other old civilizations and myths I have not heard about...

Yes, I did forget to mention the NPCs and Creatures in my other post, but it was because I was running out of room.

The quetzals are in fact based on Quetzalcoatl, a feathered serpent.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
I really love Aztecan and Mayan mythology. When Azteca came out, my interest in the world just sky-rocketed. I wanted to know as much about the world as possible because Azteca presented Aztecan and Mayan mythology and scenery as such a colorful and beautiful culture. I also like Aztecan and Mayan mythology because it's different from the very popular Egytian and Greek/Roman mythology. Not many people give this mythology a lot of recognition and it's nice that KI built an entired world based off of a culture that I had barely heard of before. I just get very excited about Aztecs (and Azteca)

For example, the Sun Serpent spell and the Quetzals (more so the Sun Serpent) are based off of Quetzalcoatl who was the Aztecan diety of wind, art, the dawn, knowledge, and merchants (I guess he's similar to Athena in a way). His name Quetzalcoatl means "feathered serpent."
Or the nine Lords of Night. In Aztecan mythology, there was an actual council of nine Lords of Night. Each god would rule over a different night. There was also a council of the Lords of Day, but they had thirteen members.
Or how Jaguars are a major inhabitant of Azteca, because many Mesoamerican empires valued the jaguar immensely. The Mayans saw it as a communicator between life and death and used it as a simble to protect royal household. The Aztecs as the jaguar as a totem to their rain god, Tezcatlipoca, who Tezcat Threestars is named after and, to further that, Tezcatlipoca, in Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs (but I think other Mesoamerican tribes used it as well), means "Smoking Mirror" which was used to name the Raptor warriors.

I could go on, but I won't. I'm really into the Aztec mythology and I'm really glad that KI, through Wizard101, introduced it do me. I really think Aztecan and Mayan mythology are very unique, cool, and mainly different mythologys for people to learn about. Not many people look at the Americas for mythology. Most are magentized toward mostly European mythologies (like Greek, I think Norse, and Celtic). Even if you're not someone completely interested in being immersed in a mythology, I think it's a good idea to know enough of it to at least get a good understanding of it (like how Greek myths mostly are about heros, wars, or perilous, challenging adventures and Aztec myths are about the creation of the world).
Not entirely.....Quetzalcoatl was related to gods of the wind, of Venus, of the dawn, of merchants and of arts, crafts and knowledge. He was also the patron god of the Aztec priesthood, of learning and knowledge.