Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

High levels at large

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
Do you recognize this scene?

Your master wizard's next quest is a boss fight.
He is very close to a level where he will get a school spell that will make that fight so much easier.
He loads his deck with small spells and shields, and head off to fight street mob very, very slowly, to get the needed xp.

In a deserted street in a perfect realm, he rounds up some monsters and start shielding.
Then, out of nowhere, a Promethean skates into the circle, sparks flying from his heels, starts with 4 pips, and kills the lot on his first round.
He is gone before your wizard is even out of the ring. No xp.

He finds another quiet realm and have a good look around. Not a Promethean in sight, nor anyone else.
He rounds up some monsters and start shielding.
Then a Transcendent rushes in, sparks flying from his heels..........

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Danish Wiz on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:

He is very close to a level where he will get a school spell that will make that fight so much easier.
He loads his deck with small spells and shields, and head off to fight street mob very, very slowly, to get the needed xp.

In a deserted street in a perfect realm, he rounds up some monsters and start shielding.
Then, out of nowhere, a Promethean skates into the circle, sparks flying from his heels, starts with 4 pips, and kills the lot on his first round.

He finds another quiet realm and have a good look around. Not a Promethean in sight, nor anyone else.
No. I can honestly say this has never happened to me. sorry.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Is it possible its a high level friend that is trying to be helpful and is porting in to you?

I find there is a wide range of high level wizards thar cruise around:

1. Awesome Wizards: The helpful ones that join and assess the situation for a couple rounds. They might blow away additional mobs they brought in right away, then they hang tight unless things are going sour and then step in and help out. They are typically very familiar with battle and how things progress. They throw in some extra traps, feints and blades to make big hits more fun. Super awesome wizards in tight spots, but they don't take away the fun. They have a good sense of 'balance' and game flow.

2. Helpful to a Fault: Wizards that join and do everything for you. You become a bystander while they do everything. It makes things go quick, and is great when you are in a hurry. But during normal questing it takes the fun out of it.

3. Powerful Show-Offs: Wizards that join and bring extra mobs with them and do absolutely nothing except build shields and pips. Often its level 30-60 wizards that are like this (probably first-time wizards). Powerful 7 pip spells but takes forever for them to prepare. Finally when they unleash massive destruction you might already be dead and the enemies have less than 100 health. Great... thanks for the help bozo!

Happy Wizarding!

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
Lol. I couldn't stop laughing at this post when I first saw it. Lol. Lol. I've never heard of a situation like this before. Why would a high lvl do that anyway? From your title name, I was thinking that all the high levels were going to jail or something or that they were on the loose for a doing a horrible crime (like stealing I don't know, a piggle I guess?) lol

Erica ShadowRunner lvl 87 Balance~ over and out

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Oh . I feel bad for you...

This has luckily never happened to me before.....

I wish you luck on questing with those annoying wizards out there....

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Danish Wiz on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:

Hold on!!!

Please correct this me if I am wrong (and I might be), but I do not believe you ever lose xp or treasure drops because someone else joined your battle. Regardless of who makes the kills or the contributions to the battle being made.

You may be getting little or no xp because you get hardly any for battling street mobs outside of quests. It has nothing to do with people joining your battle.

If you want some xp to level up just before a big boss fight go do an easy side quest. This is a good time to clear out some of those old quests cluttering your journal.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 13, 2013 wrote:
Hold on!!!

Please correct this me if I am wrong (and I might be), but I do not believe you ever lose xp or treasure drops because someone else joined your battle. Regardless of who makes the kills or the contributions to the battle being made.

You may be getting little or no xp because you get hardly any for battling street mobs outside of quests. It has nothing to do with people joining your battle.

If you want some xp to level up just before a big boss fight go do an easy side quest. This is a good time to clear out some of those old quests cluttering your journal.
I believe I get 3 xp for a shield put up, so I might get 6 xp for this battle. To me, that is none.

The problem is not that someone is joining the battle, but that he does not allow me to build up any xp.
I am not interested in loot.
My slow fighting plan could give me the 150-200 xp I need, in maybe 4 or 5 mob battles.

All sidequests are done, of course. Why else would I be doing this.

To your earlier question on a possible friend porting: No, my "port" is closed in these situations.

My Transcendent also sometimes goes to lower worlds to relax. He will join a battle if asked, but he only shield, buff and heal, unless the situation is hopeless, or the other wizard asks him to attack.
I rarely join a battle with more than one person in the circle, and to me, he has the call.
He started the duel, and I want HIM to win it.
But of course, that is just my way of playing.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Danish Wiz on Mar 14, 2013 wrote:
I believe I get 3 xp for a shield put up, so I might get 6 xp for this battle. To me, that is none.

The problem is not that someone is joining the battle, but that he does not allow me to build up any xp.
My slow fighting plan could give me the 150-200 xp I need, in maybe 4 or 5 mob battles.

To your earlier question on a possible friend porting: No, my "port" is closed in these situations.

My Transcendent also sometimes goes to lower worlds to relax. He will join a battle if asked, but he only shield, buff and heal, unless the situation is hopeless, or the other wizard asks him to attack.
I rarely join a battle with more than one person in the circle, and to me, he has the call.
Have you ever tried to explain the situation to them?

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Danish Wiz on Mar 14, 2013 wrote:

You will get the same xp in any battle whether you do all the work or nothing at all. What you cast has nothing to do with xp. Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Even if you jump in a turn before the kill you get the xp for the kill even if you didnt kill anything.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
I had several battles ruined by higher levels taking over when my balance wizard was in Dragonspyre. I had to switch realms to get away from them.

I don't care about the xp, but I do care about the experience. I quest to challenge myself; the fun is in honing my skills. As someone else mentioned, when another wizard barges in and takes over, it takes all the fun out of it. Frankly, I'd rather have a lower level wizard come in and then flee--at least that's a challenge for ME.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 15, 2013 wrote:
You will get the same xp in any battle whether you do all the work or nothing at all. What you cast has nothing to do with xp. Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Even if you jump in a turn before the kill you get the xp for the kill even if you didnt kill anything.
Not quite correct. I thought the same but last night i did some experimenting and discovered that you do indeed get a set amount of xp per spell cast in a street fight.

wand strike - 3xp
death blade - 3 xp
death trap - 3xp
death shield - 3xp
Avenging fossil - 30xp (10 pip level 88 spell)

Not exactly a handy way of leveling up though, and completely useless after level 15. If Petron has done side quests as he said then fighting a Wizard City, Krokotopia, ot Marleybone boss should not be so tough that it requires waisting time on street fights to level up.

Petron628 -> I don't think any wizard above level 15 considers street mob fights (outside of quests) as a method for gaining xp. Its far too insignificant. Except free-to-play gamers.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010

That's not exactly right.

Here is a link to one of the fansites that explains Basic Experience:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Experience

Under "Experience from Dueling", it says Players earn 3 XP for each pip used in a fight.

And I believe that is what Petron628 is saying with "he does not allow me to build up any xp".

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

this is incorrect.

i read on another board in here that xp is based on the spells you cast in battle- the higher the rank, the more xp you get for the fight. you will still receive rewards, but no xp is earned if you did not contribute to the battle.

-

as for the op's question: yes, this has happened to me before. as a promethean wizard with several lower levels across multiple accounts, i understand that the high-levels (especially if they are children) think that they're helping and will often do so to a fault. then, there are the show-offs that rottenheart mentioned... if you run into one, flee the battle and switch realms.

my balance wizard quests with my little noobs: right now, she travels on her skyvern with iridian (my baby myth wizard). when she's in low-level zones, i equip her support deck- shadowsong heals, buffs and shields irid (and anyone who happens to join the fight), but does not hit; iridian and her peers fight her own battles.

i've noticed that shadowsong gets a few odd looks around the lower-level worlds. so, when someone asks, i just explain that she and iridian are the same person- that changes it completely, and most people think she's awesome for helping out the little guys. after all, we arch/promethean wizards were little guys once, too.

-von & toca (2 main accounts)

90 balance, 86 death, 72 storm, 48 life, 25 myth, 22 fire
25 ice, 17 death, 12 myth, 11 death, 6 life, little noobie necro.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
AstroStorm on Mar 14, 2013 wrote:
Have you ever tried to explain the situation to them?
When?
This person does not hang around to chat, and as it must be obvious, I am not a native English speaker.
I am not able to think up a sentence and write it down it such a short time.
That is why I solo.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2011

I would if it was a quest, but it's not.
To my understanding, and in my experience, in this kind of battle I only get xp for the spells I cast.
This seems to confirm it.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Experience

Survivor
Aug 28, 2010

I am sorry, I find this statement to be false. What you cast totally depends on the XP given in a battle. As an example, if you do not believe this, test it out yourself. I, for one, have seen too many times when helping others and i use a tempest on the first round, and i am first in line, I take out the mobs, battle over, i get about 4 to 10 xp, (can never remember) and the wizard i am helping gets ZERO XP for the battle.

I am sure there will be others who will expand on this more.

Dustin Starwalker, lvl 90 Diviner

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
This is very interesting. I did not know this, but the puzzling thing is that when my alt that tags along with me usually just blades me but sometimes casts meteor on occasion yet gets the exact same amount of xp every battle on the same mobs over an over again.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Another thing that seems interesting is that if this is correct then i can set there with a rank 1 mob and cast heal 8 times then reshuffle cast 10 more reshuffle and so on to get a build up of xp to end with a substantial amount more xp than normal which to me seems a bit broken.

I must try to experiment with this.

Explorer
Oct 04, 2009
See i generally dont go through that cause the only source of experience i get is from questing, I dont fight randomm street battles. So if i was on a hard quest i would actually probably appreciate the situation you just described

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Hello to all. I would just like to say something on the matter of the subject. I do like to travel to a lot of different worlds now that I have hit the max level, whether it be for farming or just visiting. However, often when I see a character is in battle, I will offer my help from the side line, instead of just running straight into the battle. I find that asking is a very respectful thing to do, so I do so. If everyone were to have this respect, I do not think this would be an issue whatsoever. Thanks for listening.
~Shannon Skybreaker

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Shannon Skybreaker on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
Hello to all. I would just like to say something on the matter of the subject. I do like to travel to a lot of different worlds now that I have hit the max level, whether it be for farming or just visiting. However, often when I see a character is in battle, I will offer my help from the side line, instead of just running straight into the battle. I find that asking is a very respectful thing to do, so I do so. If everyone were to have this respect, I do not think this would be an issue whatsoever. Thanks for listening.
~Shannon Skybreaker
I also enjoy helping others, especially in Avalon, Dragonspyre and Mooshu (my favorite worlds).

My personal overpowered wizard rules:
(When I have joined someone else)

- Kill off any extra mobs I brought in ASAP.
- Follow any requests of the wizard I am helping. Never contradict.
- Lightly provide suggestions, advice, or strategy if suitable.
- Keep the other wizard(s) alive, never let others die.
- Help the other wizard(s) with traps, blades, shields.
- Try to let the other wizard get the big hit or have the final kill.
(but sometimes I must step in to complete the battle)
- I mostly say very little unless the other wizard is chatty.
- If I don't like the other wizard (annoying, rude, whatever), complete the battle, say thx, and quickly port away.
- Never ever flee. Ever.