Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level 90 Gear Worse then Waterworks Gear?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 31, 2011
I cant really understand why a level 60 something gear is WAY better then a level 90 gear, I am really getting bored of having to use the same exact suit everysince I was level 60, could you possibley make some new gear that is better, or maybe a new dungeon for newer and better gear? Please answer me, and do not ignore me, thank you.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Gamester999 on Jan 18, 2013 wrote:
I cant really understand why a level 60 something gear is WAY better then a level 90 gear, I am really getting bored of having to use the same exact suit everysince I was level 60, could you possibley make some new gear that is better, or maybe a new dungeon for newer and better gear? Please answer me, and do not ignore me, thank you.
That would be the biggest update of the history of Wizard101 yet!

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Look around a bit. There is better gear, You just have to mix it.
Crown,Pack,Crafted,even bazaar has good stuff to mix an match making a good set

Some feel WW gear is still the only thing to wear but most are just looking at that crit bonus and in avalon an azteca your crit is next to useless. So without the crit bonus how good does the WW gear look then.

I suggest doing some research in the shops and bazaar maybe if you can afford to check some packs out.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 20, 2013 wrote:

Some feel WW gear is still the only thing to wear but most are just looking at that crit bonus and in avalon an azteca your crit is next to useless. So without the crit bonus how good does the WW gear look then.

I suggest doing some research in the shops and bazaar maybe if you can afford to check some packs out.
I have looked at the gear and looked at mixing it. It is still useless.

I don't know where you are getting the "crit is useless" in Av and Az. I have only run into one boss that my crit block did not work. As for Crit, itself, I have not had any problems and still wearing WW life gear other than boots. Boots are drop from last battle in Nastrond and better stats than those from WW.

Defender
Dec 31, 2011
I have looked at all Crafted, Crowns and Bazzar clothing and my WW gear is a lot better. Is it just Ice that has these not so good gear? If there is any gear better then Ices WW gear then please tell me what it is.
Thank you.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
in wintertusk the gear you craft in there is mostly better than water works i never have a problem with a critical the only thing that was really better was the boots better block with it. the only real thing apart from them was resist, to some people that's really important but to other's it's some thing that they can live with out. so basically the best gear is what you're good in battle with. not just critical chance and damage boost. they sure do help but hey! there are other gear out there that are better than water works gear so just keep looking and you'll find something good that works for you

Survivor
Jun 28, 2012
I for one totally agree with Gamester! It is time, or way past time imho, for a new Waterworks style dungeon with waterworks type gear for higher levels. It's annoying to me that my Waterworks gear is better than the crowns gear/drop gear from the higher level worlds and packs (Bundles included). I craft, but even so, my crafted gear does not even compare to waterworks gear in over all stats. It's all a trade down. Sure I can stitch it to match the world or if I get bored with a look, but the point is we're gaining levels, and to me it's silly to be level 90 and using level 60 gear. We've played hard to level, I think we deserve it. I wouldn't even mind another dungeon as long as the gear was worth it.

Explorer
Jan 15, 2012
OMG! Thats a great idea, KI could make, like, a Waterworks except allot harder and in
Mangrove Marsh. Maybe it could also be Jungle themed.

Valkoor GoldSong lvl 83

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Gear has always been, and I expect always will be, the weak link in this game.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
I use a mix of different gear, depending on what I am fighting-
Level 85 crown shop gear (this is very good for all schools except ice, sorry ice wizards! the ice level 85 crowns gear isn't so good)
Level 76 Avalon crafted hat (for myth, Poet's Hood)
Level 74 Avalon crafted robe (for myth, Armor of Banneret)
Jade gear (for those times when you just need a little resist)
Ok, I admit it, I sometimes use the waterworks gear too
Avenging set, avenging helm of glory, glorious avenger's armor, marvelous avenging boots
Level 76 Avalon boots (sorry I only know the name of the myth ones, knights boots of justice)
:) also if you need suggestions for rings
Lexicon blade
level 86 Azteca ring (for myth, signet of the lizard tyrant)
Hope these suggestions help you!

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
Malt22 on May 17, 2013 wrote:
Gear has always been, and I expect always will be, the weak link in this game.
Huh? sorry I don't get it. I have always found that it doesn't matter if gear is exactly what you want, you just find the best that you can find. If you can't have the perfect gear with awesome stats or great appearance, oh well, just get the best gear you can have and color it your style!

Explorer
Dec 02, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 20, 2013 wrote:

I personally feel that people are looking at the resist on the WW gear more than the crit, because if that was it, then the crafted gear has always had way more crit (and block) than the WW by miles. The only thing that the WW gear beats crafted gear in is resist and damage boost. Even though the damage boost on the WW gear sounds and looks good, I don't see how that's going to help you much when you have low health and healing boosts (especially for Storm). That's why when I was in Avalon, I saw less and less people wearing the complete gear and in Azteca, that number was even fewer. Part of the reason why I took on the crafted gear was because the health, healing, crit, and block boosts of the WW gear were utterly useless in Avalon and later (and even somewhat useless in the later half of Zafaria).

My current gear set-up (Myth) has me with:
  • 49% damage boost
  • 20% resistance vs. Fire, Ice Storm, Myth, and Balance
  • 36% resistance vs. Life
  • 40% resistance vs. Death
  • 17% accuracy boost
  • 273 crit (75 in other schools)
  • 232 Fire block
  • 240 Ice block
  • 235 Storm block
  • 249 Life block
  • 247 Death block
  • 182 Myth and Balance block
  • 69% Power Pip boost
  • 51% incoming healing boost
  • 2,160 health boost

So for me, it's crafted gear all the way. The only drawback is the low universal resist, low-ish damage boost and power pips, but everything else I feel is satisfactory for me.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
You're gong to have to get used to thinking ahead before battles, rather than just going into every battle in the same clothes all the time.

If you want to retain your damage and global resist, hatch a pet that can help you with those, and train it.

I think critical is overrated, and would gladly retain high damage output in place of high critical. Block, on the other hand, is super important, because starting in AV the street mobs crit more than most of us ever will.

I do wish there were more choices for crafting - given the choice, I would have preferred a hat that gives significantly less crit rating and slightly more damage, pips/accuracy, and resist. Or a ring that gives slightly less health and mana, but more pip chance, without sacrificing critical block entirely.

But then that's me. I loathe the luck factor in gaming and given the choice, always strive to eliminate luck from the equation. Crit is all about luck and is not worth bothering with unless your crit rating is so high it acts like accuracy.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
Energeia on Jul 8, 2013 wrote:
I personally feel that people are looking at the resist on the WW gear more than the crit, because if that was it, then the crafted gear has always had way more crit (and block) than the WW by miles. The only thing that the WW gear beats crafted gear in is resist and damage boost. Even though the damage boost on the WW gear sounds and looks good, I don't see how that's going to help you much when you have low health and healing boosts (especially for Storm). That's why when I was in Avalon, I saw less and less people wearing the complete gear and in Azteca, that number was even fewer. Part of the reason why I took on the crafted gear was because the health, healing, crit, and block boosts of the WW gear were utterly useless in Avalon and later (and even somewhat useless in the later half of Zafaria).

My current gear set-up (Myth) has me with:
  • 49% damage boost
  • 20% resistance vs. Fire, Ice Storm, Myth, and Balance
  • 36% resistance vs. Life
  • 40% resistance vs. Death
  • 17% accuracy boost
  • 273 crit (75 in other schools)
  • 232 Fire block
  • 240 Ice block
  • 235 Storm block
  • 249 Life block
  • 247 Death block
  • 182 Myth and Balance block
  • 69% Power Pip boost
  • 51% incoming healing boost
  • 2,160 health boost

So for me, it's crafted gear all the way. The only drawback is the low universal resist, low-ish damage boost and power pips, but everything else I feel is satisfactory for me.
Questions:
1. What level are you?
2. What gear are you wearing (direct gear names please)
3. Do you have a pet equipped?
Comment:
Wow! Nice stats! And if you wanted to you could have a 21% resist boost, 8% global damage boost, and 12% myth damage boost from your pet.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
crunkatog on Jul 9, 2013 wrote:
You're gong to have to get used to thinking ahead before battles, rather than just going into every battle in the same clothes all the time.

If you want to retain your damage and global resist, hatch a pet that can help you with those, and train it.

I think critical is overrated, and would gladly retain high damage output in place of high critical. Block, on the other hand, is super important, because starting in AV the street mobs crit more than most of us ever will.

I do wish there were more choices for crafting - given the choice, I would have preferred a hat that gives significantly less crit rating and slightly more damage, pips/accuracy, and resist. Or a ring that gives slightly less health and mana, but more pip chance, without sacrificing critical block entirely.

But then that's me. I loathe the luck factor in gaming and given the choice, always strive to eliminate luck from the equation. Crit is all about luck and is not worth bothering with unless your crit rating is so high it acts like accuracy.
I agree that it would be nice if we had different choices when crafting gear. I loathe the fact I have to switch gear around all the time depending on what I'm fighting, because some of the gear is seriously lacking necessary stats.

I don't worry about critical. I care about damage, resist, block, pips, and a bit of extra accuracy. Easier to get it for some schools and extremely difficult for other schools. It's tedious.