Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire has become weak

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
Seriously, after the new spell got released from the darkmoor quests, I think fire has become weak. Their spells are beginning to fade. Their gears are not good anymore. Fire is supposed to be the second in damage next to storm but now myth, death, and other schools have better stats in their gear compared to fire.

I have a max level fire wizard and its so frustrating to see the poor stats and performance of a fire wizard. I was so happy to make a fire wizard but now its so boring.

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
Cody Swiftrunner on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:
Seriously, after the new spell got released from the darkmoor quests, I think fire has become weak. Their spells are beginning to fade. Their gears are not good anymore. Fire is supposed to be the second in damage next to storm but now myth, death, and other schools have better stats in their gear compared to fire.

I have a max level fire wizard and its so frustrating to see the poor stats and performance of a fire wizard. I was so happy to make a fire wizard but now its so boring.
I don't know about that but my fire can come close to a storm. She has 115 damage on her and most of the time criticals her hit. And she doesn't even have the best gear on either. If anything it's low resist just like a storm. She has avalon crafted hat, khrysalis crafterd robe, crown shop boots and wand, and a triple damage pet and she is level 100. She does pretty well even solo.
I do know that if malistaire or rattlebones would drop her the robe she will be better off but they want to be stingy.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Exalt fire struggles a bit with AOE compared to storm, myth, and death. They do however still have a freight train of damage and utility in FFA.

One problem for fire is that many farmable instances involve cheats that severely punish hitters whose hits do not kill instantly; or specifically and explicitly punish use of DOT as a damage source. E.g. Meowiarty, Aphrodite, Hisser, etc.

This means fire is left with two choices; either support a storm (if present), or single-hit each entity with a maximal FFA.

The latter is seriously flawed and inefficient if more than one boss is present.

What needs to happen is

a) Fire needs a way to boost or frontload some of the DOT damage of their flagship hit Fire Dragon so that they can convert it to a non-DOT AOE. At one point a friend and I came up with "Detonate All" but this is, in fact, too slow and does not address the cheat penalties for nonlethal or DOT-type hits.

b) Cheats for farmable instances should avoid explicitly punishing one or more schools' main attack styles.

c) Fire has huge damage and considerable crit otherwise and should be given situations where they really shine, e.g. ice mobs/bosses, belloq/linkspam, scald, etc.

the same measures that would help fire regain its status as a pve hitter would also help death, life, and ice.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Cody Swiftrunner on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:

i feel similarly about balance~ we used to be right in the middle, the happy medium... and now we're being outhit and outclassed by ice and life, to the point that we're basically a less-effective version of both(a lice wizard?). and don't get me started on death~ they've been completely left behind.

i think part of the problem is that, in terms of gear, ki is trying to "balance" the schools.

if you have darkmoor gear on more than one wizard, you'll notice that, save health and mana, all the stats are the same~ as much as i like high damage and the extra crit, you'll likely agree that balance should not have the same stats as fire or storm (and they do).

in one sense, i get it; ice's resist was overpowered and storm didn't have anywhere near the health/block needed to survive at the upper levels. still, i am adamantly opposed to any "rounding out" of the schools, beyond what is needed to effectively play that school.

-von "insert witty catchphrase here" shadowsong
exalted

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
crunkatog on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:
Exalt fire struggles a bit with AOE compared to storm, myth, and death. They do however still have a freight train of damage and utility in FFA.

One problem for fire is that many farmable instances involve cheats that severely punish hitters whose hits do not kill instantly; or specifically and explicitly punish use of DOT as a damage source. E.g. Meowiarty, Aphrodite, Hisser, etc.

This means fire is left with two choices; either support a storm (if present), or single-hit each entity with a maximal FFA.

The latter is seriously flawed and inefficient if more than one boss is present.

What needs to happen is

a) Fire needs a way to boost or frontload some of the DOT damage of their flagship hit Fire Dragon so that they can convert it to a non-DOT AOE. At one point a friend and I came up with "Detonate All" but this is, in fact, too slow and does not address the cheat penalties for nonlethal or DOT-type hits.

b) Cheats for farmable instances should avoid explicitly punishing one or more schools' main attack styles.

c) Fire has huge damage and considerable crit otherwise and should be given situations where they really shine, e.g. ice mobs/bosses, belloq/linkspam, scald, etc.

the same measures that would help fire regain its status as a pve hitter would also help death, life, and ice.
simple, make Detonate able to apply to fire spells BEFORE casting . The last NON DoT AoE fire gets is meteor strike, at L22. We've gone 78 levels since our last non DoT AoE spell. Many people believe FFA should have been an AoE vs a single hit. If we could preload detonate onto dragon etc, it would make a huge difference

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
I feel that when it comes down to weaknesses in schools, most people feel like their main school may be outdone by another. It's the way of life. I cannot say much on Fire, as it is the only character that I did not create, but I definitely have a few comments on Life.

As my two other highest wizards are Death and Ice, I feel like they are both well-suited for everything. Life, being my first and foremost, not as much. Like Dr Von was stating that she feels Balance is being outdone by Life, I must disagree, especially in terms of gear.

Prepare for a small rant to prove my point here.

Balance and Life Darkmoor gear are almost exactly the same, except for Balance gear is slightly stronger than Life, as to where Life has no more points in any other field to compete with the Balance gear. For example, both the Life and Balance hat dropped by only Malistaire the Undying, where Balance has 2% more universal resistance and 14 more critical damage. Now, you may be thinking that that doesn't sound like much, but the point is is that Life gets no boosts over that gear. It's literally the same otherwise, and this pattern follows in the robes as well, except giving more accuracy than universal resist. Luckily, the boots even out.

Rant has ended.

So if you spent your time reading that, you'll understand a bit of where I am coming from. I feel like Balance seems to be well-equipped, as I have quite a few Balance friends who are very powerful. On the other hand, I do not have first-hand experience with Balance, so I cannot quite compare the gameplay and spells (only AoE which still makes me sad to think about given our newest spells. I was hoping so hard). Anyways, that's a bit of my take on it.
We all feel like our schools may begin to fall out from time to time, but in the end, they're worth playing because they're fun!

Best of luck!
Shannon Skybreaker

Survivor
May 02, 2010
i agree about letting detonate being put before the attack

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Shannon Skybreaker on Oct 5, 2015 wrote:
I feel that when it comes down to weaknesses in schools, most people feel like their main school may be outdone by another. It's the way of life. I cannot say much on Fire, as it is the only character that I did not create, but I definitely have a few comments on Life.

As my two other highest wizards are Death and Ice, I feel like they are both well-suited for everything. Life, being my first and foremost, not as much. Like Dr Von was stating that she feels Balance is being outdone by Life, I must disagree, especially in terms of gear.

Prepare for a small rant to prove my point here.

Balance and Life Darkmoor gear are almost exactly the same, except for Balance gear is slightly stronger than Life, as to where Life has no more points in any other field to compete with the Balance gear. For example, both the Life and Balance hat dropped by only Malistaire the Undying, where Balance has 2% more universal resistance and 14 more critical damage. Now, you may be thinking that that doesn't sound like much, but the point is is that Life gets no boosts over that gear. It's literally the same otherwise, and this pattern follows in the robes as well, except giving more accuracy than universal resist. Luckily, the boots even out.

Rant has ended.

So if you spent your time reading that, you'll understand a bit of where I am coming from. I feel like Balance seems to be well-equipped, as I have quite a few Balance friends who are very powerful. On the other hand, I do not have first-hand experience with Balance, so I cannot quite compare the gameplay and spells (only AoE which still makes me sad to think about given our newest spells. I was hoping so hard). Anyways, that's a bit of my take on it.
We all feel like our schools may begin to fall out from time to time, but in the end, they're worth playing because they're fun!

Best of luck!
Shannon Skybreaker
i agree with part of your last paragraph~ i have a promethean life wizard, and i was dying for another aoe; naturally, i was super-disappointed when i found out that the shadow spell for life was a single hit.

as far as gear, the stats are almost identical; sure, we get 14 more critical points (12 crit rating=1%, according to my advanced stats page in-game) and 2% more resist, but balance's highest blade is 35% (whereas ice and life can both get 45 and 50% blades). all other stats being equal, ice and life can easily outhit a balance wizard... but i digress.

i stand by my original post~ i am against any "rounding out" of the schools. yes, certain changes do need to be made, but that's another post entirely.

-von
exalted

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Dr Von on Oct 10, 2015 wrote:
i agree with part of your last paragraph~ i have a promethean life wizard, and i was dying for another aoe; naturally, i was super-disappointed when i found out that the shadow spell for life was a single hit.

as far as gear, the stats are almost identical; sure, we get 14 more critical points (12 crit rating=1%, according to my advanced stats page in-game) and 2% more resist, but balance's highest blade is 35% (whereas ice and life can both get 45 and 50% blades). all other stats being equal, ice and life can easily outhit a balance wizard... but i digress.

i stand by my original post~ i am against any "rounding out" of the schools. yes, certain changes do need to be made, but that's another post entirely.

-von
exalted
That news of the Shadow Spell just pained me. I guess we could always hope for a new, low cost AoE, as the 5-pip spells seem to be popular recently.

I agree that the rounding out thing is getting a little odd. As much as I love the new found power, I would no longer be able to find great gear for healing, say if I'm going for the Elixir Vitae badge. I don't get as many healing benefits as I used to, and my power pips now average out. So I agree, the style I've played with throughout the entire game on various wizards are now changing.

Best of luck!
Shannon Skybreaker

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012
Well when you put it as that way in that category as weak I don't think its true .but did every other school captured fires image of being second strongest, Yea. I feel the sane everyday looking at those stats and spell abilities. Like when questing or farming I feel PLAYED OUT. When I go into darkmoor people want to kill Fast .For example I'll have all blade and aura boosted for rain of fire and other players would not let me hut because I would use the feints on boss.REMIND you the storm player took 5 rounds to get ready to hit.felt like I was not even needed. Same with death myth and other fires who preferred to use dragon.The whole dot thing barley works out for a fire player now a days unless their improved such as for burning rampage. At times I look back at every school description and wishes they were like it in today's era.

feel the same as for life wizards, I think max life wizards should have aoe less pips less damage.no one wants to heal and tank all day like others in long dungeons or farming mobs having to wait pips for forest lord.in higher lvl worlds such as khrysalis and upcoming Polaris ,don't think less pip less damage aoe hit would be enough to kill a set of mob fights alone in one blow ,so I guess that I why life don't currently have such a thing, ESPECIALLY when life school is supposed to be more protective with heals.

Zachary nightsword