Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Avenging Fossil boss is too hard!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 23, 2010
Look kingsisle i just got to level 88 and really? two ice minions and a overpowered myth boss to learn avenging fossil? AND SOLO?!?!?! I have tried everything i possibly can do without crowns for henchmen and i still lose everytime! can you please just weaken the level 88 school spell bosses? because i am really upset that my membership is being wasted on losing to the same boss over and over and over again! Scot Sparkleeyes level 88

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
It can be done. Take a look at all of the Death wizards that have the spell. They did it, so can you. Of course it's not easy and it shouldn't be. Like all of the level 88 spells it's amazingly powerful so you should have to work for it. All the other schools have to go through the same thing. It's a solo quest and it might take some time to figure a workable strategy but it's definitely doable.

Survivor
May 23, 2010
ok this is a more calm response than the previous one i sent, you clearly dont see my point, its too hard to make me have to solo 3 enemies that stun me constantly and no matter what i try i lose, only reason my friend did it was because he had enough crowns to buy a level 100 henchman. so please do not give me the whole they did it so you can too lecture because i have been trying and it really really angers me to see something like that as a response.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
AdamThePirateman on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
Look kingsisle i just got to level 88 and really? two ice minions and a overpowered myth boss to learn avenging fossil? AND SOLO?!?!?! I have tried everything i possibly can do without crowns for henchmen and i still lose everytime! can you please just weaken the level 88 school spell bosses? because i am really upset that my membership is being wasted on losing to the same boss over and over and over again! Scot Sparkleeyes level 88
What gear are you currently using? Maybe you need some gear with more resist, and a healing pet with some resist also. At level 88, the best gear set-up is Waterworks hat and robe, with crafted boots, athame and ring. Or you could level-up to 90, farm for Hades' gear, then go back and try again.

Wolf Windrider

Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
The game is meant to be hard. The spell to get Calendar is similar, and I am guessing every other school's level 88 quest is too. Myth people have to fight a balance boss with a death and a life minion. It took me a good 2 or 3 hours to finally figure out what deck/gear setup would be best. My suggestion to you would be to go to the Bazaar and buy some good resist gear for that particular school and buy some healing treasure cards. Pack a couple of tower shields and school specific shields. For your hits and other spells, only pack what you need. You don't want useless cards pulling up in a crucial moment of the battle. Take out the minions as soon as possible. It is hard to do, but it IS possible. Play it smart. (On a side note, wait until you get to Khrysalis and have to do 2 solo 1v3 boss fights and 3 1v3 minion fights. It's rough.)

If all else fails, just buy a life minion with crowns. You can earn 100 crowns per day through surveys and however many more through videos if you're like me and spent all that you were willing to when you bought the membership.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
"so please do not give me the whole they did it so you can too lecture because i have been trying and it really really angers me to see something like that as a response."

A few things to say about this:
1) You are the one who posted this, be glad people even reply to it.
2) They DID do it, and you can do it too.
3) It really, really angers ME to see a post like this complaining about a game that was well thought through and hard to put together. The spell is a high level spell. You are a high level wizard. You need to be challenged more than 1v1ing a boss that you can just stack blades and slap a Feint down and one shot kill. The challenge is equal to the reward.

"i am really upset that my membership is being wasted on losing to the same boss over and over and over again!"

It is a side quest, you don't have to do it. You have the option to keep on doing other quests with your friends to level up. I personally quested until level 100 before going back to get my level 88 spell.

For future reference, don't be hostile to people who can't read your mind. You never once said in your main post that you didn't want people to tell you that you can do it because others have.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2013
AdamThePirateman on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
Why don't you buy henchmen, that's how I beat Azure Chamber first try

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Yep, you can get some real good help from some.

Take a look at your cards. A suggestion might be have some stun block treasure cards if the stun is one of your major problems. But hopefully you knock the minions out as soon as possible. Also think about traps and feints (suggest tc form since only 20 on yourself). Both tc and regular. At this time you should have potent trap. Bias your stuff toward the trap side some since a myth boss. Watch his pips try for the trap side until you are pretty sure you can get a blade or 2 up and a hit off before he makes it to quake range. Scarecrow to get rid of those ice minions as soon as you can. If you have to scarecrow or monster before set up due to your health do it. One thing you can do is pre-enchant some of the cards. Make sure you have at least one if not more reshuffle in case you do have to use up drain spells. With them you can keep your card list kind of small and increase chances of getting the cards you are looking for.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AdamThePirateman on Jun 30, 2015 wrote:
ok this is a more calm response than the previous one i sent, you clearly dont see my point, its too hard to make me have to solo 3 enemies that stun me constantly and no matter what i try i lose, only reason my friend did it was because he had enough crowns to buy a level 100 henchman. so please do not give me the whole they did it so you can too lecture because i have been trying and it really really angers me to see something like that as a response.
i've been in your position, op. my balance wizard had to go up against a balance boss with ice minions to get her sabertooth spell, and it took me about 30 tries before i was finally able to complete it. it drove me insane, and i remember all too well how that feels.

that said, i also have an exalted necromancer who went through the exact-same quest as you and had a much-easier time than my sorcerer did. here are some suggestions:

1) if you don't have at least level 56 crafted gear/level 60 waterworks dropped stuff, you will need an upgrade.

2) if you haven't already, go to diego in unicorn way and train stun block. my second wizard was level 65 before anyone told me about that spell, but i swear by it~ it's particularly useful vs. ice and myth, who seem to enjoy chain-stunning us wizards to death before we can even get a shot off.

3) what kind of pet do you have? my death wizard has a nice shadow beast (sprite, proof, and defy at ancient) and i'd be more than happy to hatch with you.

4) pack a light deck: only put in the spells you need, so that you can easily get to them when you need them. if you'd like some tips on deck setup, i'd be happy to help.

until then, good luck!

-von
exalted

Survivor
May 23, 2010
ok so i dont have enough crowns for henchmen and i know the game is meant to be hard but to the point where i need to grind a 4 hour dungeon over and over or buy henchmen with real money is just ridiculous! no one here seems to get my point about this no matter how i word it.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
AdamThePirateman on Jul 1, 2015 wrote:
ok so i dont have enough crowns for henchmen and i know the game is meant to be hard but to the point where i need to grind a 4 hour dungeon over and over or buy henchmen with real money is just ridiculous! no one here seems to get my point about this no matter how i word it.
Everyone has gotten your point in every way you've worded it. You think the quest is too difficult. We get it. But the question is have you bothered to actually read any of the responses? EVERY person that's responded to you has gone through the same thing to varying degrees. Try absorbing some of the advice from people who've done what you're trying to do. I know you get it but it bears repeating... it's not meant to be an easy quest! And believe me, when you finally do it successfully, and you will if you keep at it, you'll really appreciate that new spell a lot more than if it was just handed to you.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
If you really have trouble with this battle, it might be a sign that you're just not ready to learn this spell. My fire and storm had to wait until they were 90+ before they could finally go back and beat their respective 88 spell quest bosses.

I found with these spell quest battles, get rid of the minions is priority 1.

It's so important, if you draw a feint, don't use it on the boss, instead use it on the minions and make sure you can kill in one hit.

This battle also has a lot of stun and earth. Conviction tc and stun block are your friend.

If you still have issues, you can try leaving the dungeon any time you would be going second in battle. Going second against 3 stun-happy monsters is discouraging. At least if you're going first, you can put up conviction or stun blocks and get ready to hit those minions.

Some might argue "shopping for first" is unsporting. I say, they start with 8 pips, I start with 4; and there are 3 of them. How is that fair? Control as much of the battle as you can, and for some of us, that means I go first, thank you very much. It makes a world of difference.

Dr Von already has mentioned small focused decks, avoiding losing all your blades to earthquake, and making sure you are using the best gear and pet you can lay hands on.

Best of luck and hang in there!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AdamThePirateman on Jul 1, 2015 wrote:
of course we get it; that's why we're all trying to help you.

you don't need henchmen. either you have too many cards in your deck, your strategy needs work, or both.

errol, tucsonwizard, soloing myth, and i have given you plenty of tools to help you succeed. so please, take the suggestions you've been given and put them into practice~ you may surprise yourself.

-von
exalted

Survivor
Sep 21, 2010
i just packed on as much damage and crit as I could