Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The No-Treasure-Cards Club: Who's in it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
This post was purely spontaneous as I was looking at posts during the Dorms. It seemed like everyone had a problem with something: it seems like everyone wants an AoE. And I was just thinking, "Yeah, I agree, but since nothing's changed yet, us wizards will just have to do what we gotta do." And then I was thinking about treasure cards, and how much they can help us advance quickly.

But I seem to have some sort of mental block regarding treasure cards: I just don't use them. Even though I'm fully aware it is not, I just feel like it's somehow cheating. Literally, I will die trying to defeat Celestian bosses and keep on trying over and over again until I get lucky enough to have the perfect array of cards, rather use Treasure Cards. It just doesn't occur to me. The only time I would use them is to improve gameplay in some manner in a group dungeon, when the stakes are higher (i.e. Atlantea). For example, I might a treasure card shield, weakness, satyr, global spell, etc. but not a per battle basis.

Enough of me typing. Does anyone else experience the same issue?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I didn't use them when I started out, but I've realized how much help they can be for boss fights. Keeping a Pierce, Reshuffle, Cleanse, and healing spell in your sideboard can make a world of difference when you run into something unexpected. it's not cheating -- it's planning ahead!

I have to say I am NOT a fan of OP TCs in low level PvP though. It's allowed, but not sporting, so that level 14 using Tritons then bragging about rank gets zero respect from me.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Here's the reason I dont use them. It's not that it's cheating, it's that for MY gameplan, they're worthless. if you don't have a mastery amulet for the out of school spells, what's the point of wasting 14 pips on a 7 pip spell that you can BARELY, if at all, boost? You have to deliberately set your deck up with discards, just to make the treasure card appear. On top of that, most out of school spells just arent worth the pips they cost to cast (again, for my strategy). I don't PvP at all, so maybe others will agree with you. personally, i think it's a tool, to be utilized in the right conditions

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I don't know if I'm in that club or not. I collect a lot of treasure cards and give them to my friends who need them. For some reason, I will empty my backpack if I can help make a friend or partner stronger, but I dislike using up my treasure cards on my PvE solo fights. Using them means I have to go buy them all over again, and some of the things I collect are quite rare.

In ranked PvP, I typically use whatever cards necessary. You just increase the chances of losing if you don't use treasures. However, in practice PvP, I consider it pretty senseless to use huge or expensive treasure cards to win since there's no reward.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Oct 15, 2014 wrote:
Here's the reason I dont use them. It's not that it's cheating, it's that for MY gameplan, they're worthless. if you don't have a mastery amulet for the out of school spells, what's the point of wasting 14 pips on a 7 pip spell that you can BARELY, if at all, boost? You have to deliberately set your deck up with discards, just to make the treasure card appear. On top of that, most out of school spells just arent worth the pips they cost to cast (again, for my strategy). I don't PvP at all, so maybe others will agree with you. personally, i think it's a tool, to be utilized in the right conditions
That's got nothing to do with using TC or not. TC can be utility spells and inschool attacks and blades and traps, they don't mean offschool attack spells only. I agree with not using TC attack cards for the most part, and never carry offschool attacks. TC can be extremely useful for certain schools in PvE though. Life for example, it's very useful to carry Forest Lord TC from the Bazaar when you haven't hit lvl 58 yet, it make Celestia possible to solo on Life.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I guess I'm a member but I don't go to all of the meetings. I tend to only use TCs in specialized situations. While I normally keep the sideboard stocked up with heals and traps I rarely use them. If I'm going in to fight a particularly tough boss I'll stock up on the appropriate shields or attacks depending on the circumstance. For instance, fighting Belloq in Zafaria - if he doesn't take some damage every round he'll hit with a very nasty 0-pip Ra spell the next round so I stocked my sideboard with Fire Elf TC to keep him occupied. Other bosses might spam Fireball every few rounds so I'll load up Fire shields. Just depends on the situation.
I've also made the mistake of getting a new deck, loading it with spells and totally forgetting to add any TC to the sideboard. Of course this is usually the occasion when I need that heal TC and oops, there's nothing there.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Oct 15, 2014 wrote:
That's got nothing to do with using TC or not. TC can be utility spells and inschool attacks and blades and traps, they don't mean offschool attack spells only. I agree with not using TC attack cards for the most part, and never carry offschool attacks. TC can be extremely useful for certain schools in PvE though. Life for example, it's very useful to carry Forest Lord TC from the Bazaar when you haven't hit lvl 58 yet, it make Celestia possible to solo on Life.
yes, but that's a school spell. What i was referring to 9to extend your example) is a life mage carrying around a ton of death attack tc's in PvE

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Oct 15, 2014 wrote:
yes, but that's a school spell. What i was referring to 9to extend your example) is a life mage carrying around a ton of death attack tc's in PvE
That wasn't the question though. The post is about treasure cards in general, not people who only use off school cards. No one mentioned that but you.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2011
This is your issue, not ours.
Treasure Cards are here for a reason, some of need them.
Also this is another way Wizard101 profits.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Oct 16, 2014 wrote:
That wasn't the question though. The post is about treasure cards in general, not people who only use off school cards. No one mentioned that but you.
right, and with 7 schools, 6 of them being off school, that's a really big reason why I dont use them

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I also seldom use them. Pierce and dispels are the only treasure cards I typically use, especially in a place like Tower of the Helephant.

Outside of situations like that however, I only use them for crafting. I don't do PvP, and in all other battles I try to strategize based on the strengths and limitations of each school's merits.

But I also have two accounts and I usually take the opposite school with me. Ice goes with Fire, Death goes with Life, and the Storm wizards have two travelling buddies... one has a Myth partner, the other Balance.