Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Magic

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2013
Hi all, I just wanted to know if KI is going to patch shadow magic from pvp because shadow shrike has ruined pvp especially for ice, I used to win cause of my OP resist and now all my resist is pierced cause of shrike and its just not fair, I ranked down to captain and its makes me sad, when I was level 83 once I was against a storm that used wild bolts and when i kept healing he used shadow magic and used blade then shattered me because i was second I couldn't shield again and he used lord with a critical and pierced all my resist and I died without even hitting once, so I think shadow magic needs to be removed from PvP, If you guys know Its going to be removed or not, please tell me.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
I really don't think Kingsisle will patch Shadow Magic in PvP because they wanted it to be in PvP. Plus it's supposed to make matches faster. If Kingsisle takes away Shadow Magic from PvP then it will result in a lot of angry wizards.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Jack IceBringer on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
Hi all, I just wanted to know if KI is going to patch shadow magic from pvp because shadow shrike has ruined pvp especially for ice, I used to win cause of my OP resist and now all my resist is pierced cause of shrike and its just not fair, I ranked down to captain and its makes me sad, when I was level 83 once I was against a storm that used wild bolts and when i kept healing he used shadow magic and used blade then shattered me because i was second I couldn't shield again and he used lord with a critical and pierced all my resist and I died without even hitting once, so I think shadow magic needs to be removed from PvP, If you guys know Its going to be removed or not, please tell me.
No. Shadow magic in pvp is fair game.

You said it yourself: ice's resist is OP; you can get relatively easy immunity to both fire and storm. And shrike only pierces 50% of your resist... meaning that, even if he shatters you, you should still have 20% resist to that storm wizard's spells.

Plus, shrike is easy to counter: stuns, weakness, dispels, accuracy debuffs... shadow magic ignores resist, and storm is so fragile that, assuming you hold him off for 3 rounds, his own backlash will probably kill him.

Just because you are unwilling or unable to counter something does not make it OP. This is 100% fair.

-von

Survivor
Feb 23, 2013
Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Dr Von on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
No. Shadow magic in pvp is fair game.

You said it yourself: ice's resist is OP; you can get relatively easy immunity to both fire and storm. And shrike only pierces 50% of your resist... meaning that, even if he shatters you, you should still have 20% resist to that storm wizard's spells.

Plus, shrike is easy to counter: stuns, weakness, dispels, accuracy debuffs... shadow magic ignores resist, and storm is so fragile that, assuming you hold him off for 3 rounds, his own backlash will probably kill him.

Just because you are unwilling or unable to counter something does not make it OP. This is 100% fair.

-von
Ice's resist was most certainly counterable before; I did it myself on my fire (Pierce enchants, infallible, pierce spears, converts, etc.; it's not particularly easy and takes a while to set up, but when is PvP easy at higher ranks?). Most aggressive players have 10-20 resist at max levels, making it near impossible to keep decent resist under shrike even with a shield up. Most good players stun shield. Accuracy debuffs are often countered with infallible and good base accuracy from the Khrysalis crafted robe. Weakness only removes 25%, a tiny amount when compared to the total damage of most spells when buffs, damage boosts, and enchants are included. It is not possible to create a balanced deck while carrying enough dispels of every school to shut down a player using shrike unless you are watching the queue, which is considered by some to be a form of cheating. The backlash on most players generally only does a few hundred, as most players set up a combo for shrike in order to maximize efficiency. In my opinion, shrike was unnecessary after the addition of Aquila gear, and pushed PvP too far toward aggression rather than more defensive strategies, limiting the creativity and possibility of pursuing many strategies.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Arron wrote: " In my opinion, shrike was unnecessary after the addition of Aquila gear, and pushed PvP too far toward aggression rather than more defensive strategies, limiting the creativity and possibility of pursuing many strategies."

Arron,

I disagree with the above line, as I find Shrike absolutely necessary for my game. I carry 33% resist, and when I end up against a Jade Death, Jade Life or Jade Balance, wtih 70 Plus resist, Shadow Magic gives me a chance. Yes, I can stack blades, etc, but by that time, I'm usually DOA. Even with Shadow Magic it's extremely hard to take down a smart Death Jade, or in some cases a smart Life Jade.
Even with 85% damage, it just isn't enought without Shrike.

Explorer
Jun 17, 2011
I agree shrike should be patched from pvp I am a jaded life usually and if anyone pops out a shrike I am useless it takes away all resist it is unfair because storms just go shrike temp gg not fun!

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
jester094 on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
I agree shrike should be patched from pvp I am a jaded life usually and if anyone pops out a shrike I am useless it takes away all resist it is unfair because storms just go shrike temp gg not fun!
Clearly you would argue against shrike, seeing that your tactics are what Shrike was designed to counter. The problem is that Jades are basically invulnerable without Shrike, and usually only seek to run the clock out. It's also difficult to make an anti-Jade deck that also can fight normal opponents.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
there is nothing wrong with shadow magic even though it may anger you. because you just got angry you lost because of it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.