Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Character Backstory

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 06, 2011
I've been playing Wizard101 for about three years now, and I recently came across a line in the dialogue that got me thinking. I was about to begin Wintertusk, and I was speaking to Bjorn Ironclaws. He said, "I am only the second greatest hero in Grizzleheim when you visit my world."
Immediately, thoughts were racing through my head. What feats did Bjorn accomplish to become one of Grizzleheim's mightiest heroes? Another example is Cyrus Drake. Where did he grow up? Were he and Malistaire close? Was he always in such a bad mood? Why?
I want to know more about these characters. In my opinion, the community is the best place to go for this type of thing. So, what characters can you imagine a backstory for? Any characters at all! I think it would be very interesting to see some of the backstories the fan base can come up with for Wizard101 characters!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
KingCobra022 on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
I've been playing Wizard101 for about three years now, and I recently came across a line in the dialogue that got me thinking. I was about to begin Wintertusk, and I was speaking to Bjorn Ironclaws. He said, "I am only the second greatest hero in Grizzleheim when you visit my world."
Immediately, thoughts were racing through my head. What feats did Bjorn accomplish to become one of Grizzleheim's mightiest heroes? Another example is Cyrus Drake. Where did he grow up? Were he and Malistaire close? Was he always in such a bad mood? Why?
I want to know more about these characters. In my opinion, the community is the best place to go for this type of thing. So, what characters can you imagine a backstory for? Any characters at all! I think it would be very interesting to see some of the backstories the fan base can come up with for Wizard101 characters!
Well, as a fan-fic writer, here is my version of events:

Cyrus and Malistaire were born to the King and Queen of Dragonspyre. They lost their parents when they were young and were raised by a relative before heading off to Ravenwood at age 13. They were kind of indifferent to each other, mostly because they were nothing alike, but Malistaire secretly resented Cyrus for his clam to their parents' throne by birthright.

Cyrus was outspoken and popular, well-liked by his peers; Malistaire was the opposite: he didn't speak much (or at all, unless he was spoken to), and was tormented by classmates (who refer to him as Skullboy). His only real friend was his professor, Cadence Darkwell, who considered him an equal and taught him all kinds of fun stuff not included in coursework.

One day, Prof. Darkwell was home sick with a bad case of the Whistling Pixies. Without her to defend him, Malistaire was at his classmates' mercy; they chased him through the Commons, hitting him over the head with textbooks and calling him names.

Well, just so happened that, at that exact moment, a group of theurgist girls were passing through the Commons. They stopped, mostly to point and laugh, but one of them wanted to help. Her friends, however, tried to hold her back.

"Don't. Necromancers are evil, and they deserve to be put down like the vermin that they are."

But Sylvia had seen more than enough; she quickly broke free and dashed into the fray, wand raised. She scared off the necromancer boys (who ran away when they realized that she might douse them in weird healing goop) and rescued Malistaire. He was pretty beaten up, but she patched him up with Fairies instead of making him use Sacrifice on himself.

They never spoke, but he gave her a weird look and ran away like a scared rabbit. It wasn't until he had returned to his dormitory that he realized that he'd forgotten to ask her name.

-

They ran into each other again some weeks later and spent all night sitting by the pond in the commons. They didn't speak much, but that thing between them (whatever "it" was) transcended words. So, when the Aestival Ball came 'round, it seemed the logical next step.

"Hey Sylvia... Would you go to the ball with me? I mean, I'm a boy and you're a girl, and we're friends."

So she says okay. They end up running off to Elik's Edge, but are followed by those same necromancer boys. One of them is particularly vile and makes some rather horrid comments about Sylvia.

"Hey guys, it's Skullboy and that filthy theurgist girl!"

Well, Malistaire has had enough by this point, so he tells Sylvia to hide behind Aubert Quickhammer's shop and then walks up to this Robert guy.

"No. YOU are the filth, not her."

And then, he straight up rips the soul out of the dude's body. Just like Darkwell taught him to.

To be continued...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Continued from last post...

After the soul-stealing thing, Malistaire's classmates never bothered him again. He and Sylvia never spoke of the incident, but she knew that she'd seen something not meant to be seen. But she stuck around, and he's happy about that because it means he's finally found something that's his, that Cyrus' birthright cannot lay claim to.

A few days later, Darkwell returns and is kind of curious about the soul-stealing thing. She then tells him that it shouldn't be used casually and that he's set in motion a series of events that cannot be undone.

"You have chosen a path from which you cannot return, and I can no longer walk with you through the flames."

That night, Malistaire has a very-strange dream about a bunch of dead stuff and wakes up covers in blood and rose-petals... He doesn't know what happened, but just as he get rid of the evidence, Sylvia shows up with some bad news.

"Professor Darkwell is dead, and everyone thinks you did it."

Obviously not so great for Malistaire, as the name-calling and attacks start again. Sylvia sticks by him, even when her dad is adamant that the Drake family is cursed. Unfortunately for her, Malistaire realizes too late that the family IS cursed and he eventually ends up killing her. He disappears into the depths of Dragonspyre and is never seen again.

For Cyrus, being related to a supposed killer has it's moments. His friends abandon him and peers attack him and his pet humungofrog: one overly-ambitious pyromancer even throws a lit firecracker through his window while he's asleep. He finally gets the hint that he should have paid attention to his brother~ had he known that Malistaire was suffering, perhaps he could have intervened and, by extension, prevented the whole mess.

So he decides to set things right and heads off to Dragonspyre to search for Malistaire. He has no idea what he might find out, but chances are that it's not going to be pretty.

(woo, go dead stuff!)

-von

Defender
Aug 06, 2011
Dr Von on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
Continued from last post...

After the soul-stealing thing, Malistaire's classmates never bothered him again. He and Sylvia never spoke of the incident, but she knew that she'd seen something not meant to be seen. But she stuck around, and he's happy about that because it means he's finally found something that's his, that Cyrus' birthright cannot lay claim to.

A few days later, Darkwell returns and is kind of curious about the soul-stealing thing. She then tells him that it shouldn't be used casually and that he's set in motion a series of events that cannot be undone.

"You have chosen a path from which you cannot return, and I can no longer walk with you through the flames."

That night, Malistaire has a very-strange dream about a bunch of dead stuff and wakes up covers in blood and rose-petals... He doesn't know what happened, but just as he get rid of the evidence, Sylvia shows up with some bad news.

"Professor Darkwell is dead, and everyone thinks you did it."

Obviously not so great for Malistaire, as the name-calling and attacks start again. Sylvia sticks by him, even when her dad is adamant that the Drake family is cursed. Unfortunately for her, Malistaire realizes too late that the family IS cursed and he eventually ends up killing her. He disappears into the depths of Dragonspyre and is never seen again.

For Cyrus, being related to a supposed killer has it's moments. His friends abandon him and peers attack him and his pet humungofrog: one overly-ambitious pyromancer even throws a lit firecracker through his window while he's asleep. He finally gets the hint that he should have paid attention to his brother~ had he known that Malistaire was suffering, perhaps he could have intervened and, by extension, prevented the whole mess.

So he decides to set things right and heads off to Dragonspyre to search for Malistaire. He has no idea what he might find out, but chances are that it's not going to be pretty.

(woo, go dead stuff!)

-von
You, my friend, might as well be a professional. That was awesome.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
KingCobra022 on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
You, my friend, might as well be a professional. That was awesome.
LOL, thank you! I enjoy writing and, since KI gave me such an awesome villain to work with, I ran with it. I love all 3 Drakes, and I just feel like there's so much more depth to them than the plot allowed for.

Malistaire is awesome; he's such a brilliant, beautiful mess of a character, and he's a fan-fic writer's dream come true. KI could have easily ruined him, had they made him into a cookie-cutter Disney villain, and I'm so glad they didn't!

if anyone else has any stories, I would love to hear them!

-von
exalted centenarian of amazing amazingness