Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is it critical really worth it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 06, 2012
i have 310 critical rating and i am not doing critical i test it and i did one critical in 30 attacks is this a bug or what? also i was in pvp and there is no point making damage resist plus dudes pets always spam unicorn or fairy like nothing happen this game is really not worth it just a waste of time.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
I seriously could not understand this post. The only big I did get is that you're going to quit becuse you can't critical? What??

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
I do not PvP, but I do not go for crit gear at all. I'd much rather have crit block.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Gettdowncrazy on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
i have 310 critical rating and i am not doing critical i test it and i did one critical in 30 attacks is this a bug or what? also i was in pvp and there is no point making damage resist plus dudes pets always spam unicorn or fairy like nothing happen this game is really not worth it just a waste of time.
KI has been pretty clear that they have no intention of explaining the Crit and Block system any more than they already have.

However, like all things which are based on a random number generator, while it is uncommon to see such a long string of bad luck, it is always possible. I would expect a 310 rating to Critical better than 1 in 30 in PvE, but those experienced in PvP know to bring a lot of Resist to the party, and 1 in 30 might be fairly normal.

In my opinion, Critical isn't worth worring about for attacks in PvE anyway, since the bosses you need it most against usually block anyway.

As far as I can tell, the only thing Critical Rating is useful for is healing, since nobody every blocks that.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Gettdowncrazy on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
its working its still a chance higher is greater chance rolling on a scale of 500 being always a critical. I have a 390 set i played with and its not always going to critical. IMHO critical block means more than pushing more critical the later content will block all your critical unless its a heal ;-)

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
About a month ago I tested critical hits using a couple different gear with critical ratings and on several hundred attacks per test I found that statistically it worked out pretty close to what I mathematically expected.

I can't find my old notes, sorry. But it does work out. If you don't believe me try attacking some simple creatures in WC about 50-100 times.

Remember that random processes tend toward clumping results, not even distributions. So with 310 critical missing a critical hit 10 times in a row should be expected.

In your OP you didn't specify if you aren't performing a critical hit, or landing a critical hit on the enemy. If the enemy has good critical resist you won't land many criticals. Also if you are playing on a wide-screen monitor like I do quite often its not apparent if you criticaled because the words are off-screen.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
I haven't looked or research the topic of the critical system well but since what I seen of the higher numbers do not equal more criticals but possibly that the higher the critical strike the less chance it can be blocked, ya know? Your critical strike versus the enemy's critical block...if you have the higher number then you won't be blocked. That's been my theory. Main reasoning for it is because high level Ice bosses block critical strikes like, well, a boss. Ice seems to always carry universal critical block, right?

Explorer
Dec 01, 2012
Criticals ARE worth it, because even if it's a low chance, you can still double damage.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Brandon SoulThief on Apr 28, 2013 wrote:
Criticals ARE worth it, because even if it's a low chance, you can still double damage.
not necessarily~ enemies and other players can block.

having 2 level 90 wizards myself, i think the op would be much better off ditching the critical in favour of good block.

-v.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Here is a good way to explain critical. Thanks Duelist101!

Hope this helps,
Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

http://www.duelist101.com/news/issues/battle-points-critical-intel/

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Critical rating is good in Zafaria, but starting in Avalon and especially in Azteca forming good critical block is much more important. Wizards deal much more damage than enemies, but we have much less health. So critical hits on us can be devastating. Blocking criticals becomes much more important than performing them.

Before Avalon I always focused on gear that gave dependable stats like damage. I didn't like to depend on lucky chance when casting spells. If I criticaled in battle I considered it 'bonus'. But everybody has their own strategy.

Happy Wizarding!