Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Avalon the Death world?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2012
Hello everyone!

I was searching connections between Wizard101 and real life, and I found an interesting one. In some kind of Mythology, (I think greek, not 100% sure though) Avalon, (A Wizard101 world) is the "Isle of the dead" or the "Land of the dead". After discovering this I went on a journey through Avalon with my high level friends, seeking out bosses, enemies and themes of Avalon and discovered much of Avalon is death. And of course, you face young morganthe at the end of Avalon. So that's what I think, what about you? Do you agree of disagree and why?

Explorer
Oct 30, 2011
I don't think avalon is a death world. Then it should me more darkness. Cyar Lyon is not very dark. High road either. I see, it is many death bosses, but i do not think the world is a death world.

Jonathan Frogheart - Ice Wizard - currently in ''the Wild'' in avalon

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Well after you think about it and research it (or just watch the movie brave lol) Avalon relates a lot to Scotland just like how most worlds relate
Krokotopia:Egypt
MarleyBone:England
Mooshu:Japan
Grizzleheim:Greenland
Wintertusk:Iceland
Zafaria:Africa
Azteca:Mexico

Survivor
Mar 20, 2011
Lol I was comparing the worlds to real countries too. This is what I agreed on:

Krokotopia: Egypt.
Marleybone: England.
Mooshu: Japan
Dragonspyre: Russia
Grizzleheim: Sweden
Wintertusk: Iceland
Zafaria: Africa
Avalon: Well, I havent agreed on anything yet. Not sure i guess.
Azteca: South America

Survivor
Dec 16, 2012
japan1130 on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
Well after you think about it and research it (or just watch the movie brave lol) Avalon relates a lot to Scotland just like how most worlds relate
what about wizard city?

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
To me Avalon seems more of an oldish, medieval themed world, that combines a couple of country themes. Like England. Plus, I see a lot of similarities between Avalon in wizard101 and several medievalish themed books. By that I mean stories like the Hobbit, and Redwall(both are fantastic!). These books share similar characters and ideas with this wizard101.
Instead of death, Avalon seems more of a life themed world, since the leprechauns and ponycorns(unicorns) seem to originate from there. Wait, I have a question. Don't the dogs come from Marleybone? If that's true, then why are there so many hound dogs everywhere in Avalon? Is this world like a flashback of Marleybone, and for some reason the name got changed?

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Kaatjaa5 on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:

Dragonspyre is themed after Russia? For some reason I thought it was themed after Greece or Rome or etc.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2012
I thought it was the world of life but if it has Morganthe in it then it's death.

Explorer
Apr 28, 2012
ShadowSlayer3120 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I was searching connections between Wizard101 and real life, and I found an interesting one. In some kind of Mythology, (I think greek, not 100% sure though) Avalon, (A Wizard101 world) is the "Isle of the dead" or the "Land of the dead". After discovering this I went on a journey through Avalon with my high level friends, seeking out bosses, enemies and themes of Avalon and discovered much of Avalon is death. And of course, you face young morganthe at the end of Avalon. So that's what I think, what about you? Do you agree of disagree and why?
No world really has a school... tons of different school monsters in every world

Survivor
Nov 22, 2012
treantlover23 on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
what about wizard city?
The U.S. XD

Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
Celestia? >.<

Explorer
Apr 28, 2012

How is Dragonspyre Russia?
Also, I think Grizzleheim is Norway.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
babysteps23 on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
Celestia? >.<
While I adventured through Celestia I found several paintings and artifacts of chariots and and arenas, so it might be themed after a country in the Mediterranean. Since the Greeks were interested in the stars and space, and the people of Celestia are famous for creating the astral spells, I can see a vague connection between the two. Although, several other cultures are included.These include the water moles, and the crabs. The floating land location is probably themed after a tropical island. Since the crabs are involved, and they are from an Italian themed world(which is where Rome is located), they give Celestia a little touch of Ancient Rome.
Now that I think about it, Celestia could just be an alien themed world full of brand new ideas and fantastical creatures that are totally original. KI, could you please correct me if I'm wrong? Could you tell me what culture inspired you to create Celestia? I'm sorry if this is too off topic.

Explorer
Oct 30, 2011
Survivor
Jun 04, 2010

Lol I was also agreeing, but here's what I thought:

Krokotopia: Egypt
Marleybone: England
Dragonspyre: Hades (Yeah, it isn't a country, but so what?)
Celestia: Atlantis
Avalon: Haven't seen this yet.
Azteca: Haven't seen this yet.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Avalon is a nice grassy, sunny place. Wierd huh? I would think it is the opposite of what you are looking for. The music is even nice there.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2013
For all of you who do not seem to know the Legend of King Arthur. Avalon is the mystical realm/island where all magic creatures in Medieval Europe are said to come from. It is the supposed kingdom of Oberon the fae king and is tied to the Legend of Arthur and Merlin.

Avalon in Wizard101 is a reference to Medieval Europe during the times of knights and kings, you know, Robinhood, and where all the old Disney princess stories are supposed to take place.

Merle Ambrose is also a reference to Merlin.
The many death themed bosses are most likely related to either Moganthe or all the old Arthurian legends about fighting evil monsters of death. A lot of those stories included death in them.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
Here's what I think the W101 worlds are based on, also based on the short summaries about the worlds.

WC: Unsure
KT: Egypt
MB: 19th century England
MS: Japan
DS: Rome (not Russia, look at all the place names, ex: Basilica)
CL: Atlantis
ZF: Africa
AV: Scotland
AZ: South America

Explorer
Jul 16, 2012
Survivor
May 22, 2010
Avalon is england at the time of king arthur

Delver
Oct 30, 2011

Dragonspyre is themed after Rome.Mooshu is not Japan it's China.Avalon is probably vietnam?Idk bout avalon.Kind of hard to figure out.And marleybone is 18th century england.

Tyler Legendfriend 71

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
I think that the worlds are based off of this:

Wizard City: Generic Fantasy world. No specific school setting.
Wysteria: Generic Fancy College world (lol). No specific school setting.
Grizzleheim: Greenland, based off of Ice.
Krokotopia: Egypt, based off of Balance.
Marleybone: Edwardian England (automobiles? Has to be Edwardian), based off of Storm.
Mooshu: Generic Asian world (I can see a mix based off of the names they gave the NPCs -- it's mostly Chinese and Japanese.), based off of Life.
Dragonspyre: A vestigial empire world (like Rome), with an apocalyptic setting, based off of Fire.
Celestia: Atlantis, based off of the Astral schools.
Zafaria: Africa, based off of Death or Fire.
Avalon: Generic Medieval England Fantasy world, based off of Myth.
Azteca: Mesoamerican world. I'm not sure what it's based off of, yet.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
takashima2 on May 19, 2013 wrote:
Avalon is england at the time of king arthur
Thank you. It's about time someone got the reference!

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Reverse Greenland and Iceland, and I think you have them down.
Greenland was named Greenland because the vikings wanted future viking settlers to go to it.
Iceland was the nice country that. the original vikings wanted for themselves.

Just a short history lesson

Survivor
Aug 22, 2012
Everyone is wrong about Winterusk, it is not based on Iceland. It is based on Greenland because in reality Greenland is the place is actually mostly all ice. That is a fact, don't believe that Greenland is mostly ice? Look it up!