Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why critical?

AuthorMessage
Champion
Dec 01, 2011
What is critical for? Only bosses used to block but now everybody blocks! What is it for then? I'd rather have 200% damage than 200 critical.
What do you guys think?

Administrator
https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/october2010#Crit

The Critical and Block system is an addition to the existing dueling system that allows players to perform Critical Hits on opponents and avoid incoming Critical Hits. This will give players new strategies and defenses in combat and new ways to further build up their Wizard!

You'll notice your character sheet has changed a little. Press C to see a panel like this one.

The two new stats being added to the game are called Critical Hit Rating and Block Rating

A Critical Damage spell will yield twice the damage against your opponent than what it would have done normally.
A Critical Heal spell will yield twice the healing.

Critical Hit Rating increase the player's chance of getting a critical hit.
Block Rating increases the player's chance of avoiding incoming critical hits.
Players will gain Critical Hit and Block bonuses from equipment.

The chance for a critical hit or a block is calculated AFTER fizzle and accuracy. When a spell fizzles no calculation for critical hit or block is made.
Charms, Enchantments, Wards, Manipulations and Globals are not subject to the Block / Critical system. Heals cannot be Blocked, but they can Critical!

You will also notice with these Critical and Block Statistics, that the Combat Rating System displays as a numeric value and not a percentage.
Equipment will have values of "+14 Block Rating" as opposed to the "+1% Block" style of statistic you are accustomed to seeing.

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
popcicool7777777 on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
What is critical for? Only bosses used to block but now everybody blocks! What is it for then? I'd rather have 200% damage than 200 critical.
What do you guys think?
I agree it does seem the need for critical stats does become less important then block at a certain point in the game.

I would trade them all to get as many pips as the foes do at start up - just saying but it's another thing you would have to trade off if you change your WW gear out.

It seems to me to make the game more challenging the monsters are becoming more powerful and our gear is becoming less useful.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I dropped my crit rating after zafaria. No need for it anymore because 95% of all mobs an bosses block, In my opinion its a waste of time right now. I go for damage boost. The plus side is since i dropped my crit i was able to increase my crit block an dmg even more. My dmg boost is around 90% now.