Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Polaris is way too short

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
You barely get to explore the world, and it's over. There are a few side quests, but not very many. There's so much else that could be done with this world.

I'm disappointed because after waiting for so long for the new world to come out, I was looking forward to quite a lot of stuff to do.

I'm hoping that perhaps as updates before the next world, K. I. might be willing to put in new side quests, reveal a few extra areas, expand polaris in various ways as was done with the intertusk update for grizzlehiem.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2015
Re: "polaris is way to short"
I know right i barely did anything dissapointing KI although it was challenging. Though you are right about the intertusk update with Grizzlehiem though.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
I really agree, When Khrysalis came out it was a decent world it took my around 1-3 to finish (probably cause I soloed half of it) but when polaris came out I seriously finished it in 3 days all by my self ( only battles I needed help with was Baba Yaga, Some next bear guy IDK, and Rasputin.) I became level 110 when I was 80% finished with polaris and that was because of two quests. One had 1,000,000+ xp and one had around 980,000 xp. I like it when at the end of the world you're like level 109 so you're kinda forced to do some side quests and that lets you get a better feel of the world. ( in this world I did like two side quests.)

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I think it was short because of the more streamlined approach to questing. Every main quest pretty much directly served to moving the plot forward. The collect quests weren't as crazy as they usually are (Thank the stars and the spaces between them for that).

The collect quest you do get are side quests so its not so in your face. Also the world was more broken up so it didn't feel so tedious though it was a tad too fragmented toward the end as it turned into a chain of dungeons from the ice block on.

I kind of wish they had added just a little bit at the end where you go back the the inn for celebrations and stroganoff, wouldn't have changed anything but it would have been kinda nice to end on a happier less cliffhanger-y note.

Defender
Aug 03, 2015
The only really challenging thing in Polaris was the final battle with the Rat

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
I thought it was short as well I finished it in literally 1 day and I think it was good yeah it was short but it was to give a break from the other updates we've had and not made it hard. Like the malistare fight. Khrysalis was a little long. But yeah I hope new update will be awesome and a lot to explore.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
It was about the length of Dragonspyre, it just seems short after the lengthy marathon that was Khrysalis.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
I agree. After a year and a half of waiting I was hoping for something really good. Not to say it wasn't good, cause I did love it, it just wasn't all I imagined and hoped for it to be.

Angela Gem, 110
Katie GoldFountain, 98

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
BionicMyth on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
It was about the length of Dragonspyre, it just seems short after the lengthy marathon that was Khrysalis.
I agree that after going through a lotta back & forth, running around & a lot of "Defeat X & Collect X" quests that derived much from getting to the important storyline moments & adventures, Polaris closely matches the length of Dragonspyre, except for the differences in it's storyline quests.

Nevertheless, Polaris was a blast, albeit at a shorter length compare to some worlds, but I agree about the lengthy quests that would've suited better towards more side quests that branch away from the storyline.

Not to mention some of it's zones' sizes are somewhat smaller compared to some worlds' larger, more expansive zones. Even Walruskberg Harbor looks like it's very smaller where it should've been larger enough to make room for Wizards to roam around & have less chances of being pulled to duels with the Inspectors Brigade enemies.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Discord Spiders on Feb 6, 2016 wrote:
I think it was short because of the more streamlined approach to questing. Every main quest pretty much directly served to moving the plot forward. The collect quests weren't as crazy as they usually are (Thank the stars and the spaces between them for that).

The collect quest you do get are side quests so its not so in your face. Also the world was more broken up so it didn't feel so tedious though it was a tad too fragmented toward the end as it turned into a chain of dungeons from the ice block on.

I kind of wish they had added just a little bit at the end where you go back the the inn for celebrations and stroganoff, wouldn't have changed anything but it would have been kinda nice to end on a happier less cliffhanger-y note.
Well, I really like how they changed the quest designing a lot, because it highly mirrors Pirate101's approach in it's quest design, one that is very received by many.

No frustrations in running back & forth, going to NPCs in very short quests where we only talk to them & complete them in one goal, even to many that only have us defeat a boss, clear a non-instance quest dungeon, or even an instance dungeon adventure alone. What I really like about some quests in P101 is the notable longer quests that have more goals than many of W101's quests, especially in points where multiple instances need to be completed, more enemies & bosses to defeat, loads of dialogue snippets to characters comparable to many that have very little that probably doesn't establish bridges in the storyline & so on, & even more NPCs to talk to with out too much running back & forth.

Honestly, that's what I really like about P101's quest design approach, & wouldn't change it any other way.

The one thing that would make it more enjoyable is having more zones & longer quests in the next world & onwards, to really have that well known aspect in P101's quest design, especially in instances, too. And the last dungeons to have us battle bosses before the last one, so it would be better to duel our way to them instead of just that last boss alone.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Angela Gem on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
I agree. After a year and a half of waiting I was hoping for something really good. Not to say it wasn't good, cause I did love it, it just wasn't all I imagined and hoped for it to be.

Angela Gem, 110
Katie GoldFountain, 98
Sure, some may say Polaris wasn't what we imagined, but, we should be proud & appreciative about what KingsIsle did to keep us enticed.

Their change in the quest design approach to streamline the important parts in the storyline while ensuring the side quests were still being made, only more unique & more worth our time to complete them, was made evidential about KI's work, & I really liked it.

That was the result in the previous complaints about many wanting to get to the point in the story 'cause Khrysalis was that evidential case.

I'm sure the next world may have some more larger zones & more longer quests with more goals in them while adhering to the changed quest design approach. Honestly, some of it's quests are very short, indeed, even with so little amounts of goals to complete one.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I actually really like what they did with polaris. I enjoyed the story and that it really got to the point and didn't feel as much like they were just throwing defeat and collect quests in every two seconds for the sole purpose of making the world feel longer.

Now, I really enjoyed the theme and feel of Polaris, so I would have also loved it had it been a bit longer. BUT not every would is going to appeal to everyone, so I actually think it's a good idea to have the worlds a little more on the short side. For example, I HATED Khrysalis, hated it, but between parts 1 and 2 its agonizingly long and just so draining for me. If they had made the whole thing the length of just part 1 it would have been a lot more palatable.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2012
I enjoyed polaris because i enjoy snow, but its obviously a world to take a break from khrysalis, mirage is going to be much longer i bet.