Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet no longer critical heals

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I seem to recall my pets hitting critical when they heal me but havent seen it in ages. I've asked in a group I belong to, and more than a few of us remember pets critical healing previously, so why has this stopped?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
May casts have never been able to critical. I think you are misremembering.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
dayerider on May 23, 2015 wrote:
I seem to recall my pets hitting critical when they heal me but havent seen it in ages. I've asked in a group I belong to, and more than a few of us remember pets critical healing previously, so why has this stopped?
in the 4 years i've had healing pets on my wizards, at no point have any of them ever hit critical.

this is likely because (as i'm sure you're aware) pets can boost our stats, but they don't benefit from them in any way. that's why pet heals don't fizzle, even with double smokescreen or mantle, and why they don't critical on heals.

my guess is that what you and your group-members experienced was either a glitch or a very short-lived fix (possibly a members-only benefit, or something created by ki in response to pet heals being nerfed).

pet heals have been nerfed numerous times (due to pvp complaining about everything, per usual); but, as far as i am aware, they have never been boosted in any way. can you imagine the pvp complaints that would stem from allowing this?

(and, just so we're clear, i really don't care what happens in the arena, except when it affects pve)

-von

Historian
May 15, 2009
I am pretty sure its because the pet doesn't share our crit stats.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Dr Von on May 24, 2015 wrote:
in the 4 years i've had healing pets on my wizards, at no point have any of them ever hit critical.

this is likely because (as i'm sure you're aware) pets can boost our stats, but they don't benefit from them in any way. that's why pet heals don't fizzle, even with double smokescreen or mantle, and why they don't critical on heals.

my guess is that what you and your group-members experienced was either a glitch or a very short-lived fix (possibly a members-only benefit, or something created by ki in response to pet heals being nerfed).

pet heals have been nerfed numerous times (due to pvp complaining about everything, per usual); but, as far as i am aware, they have never been boosted in any way. can you imagine the pvp complaints that would stem from allowing this?

(and, just so we're clear, i really don't care what happens in the arena, except when it affects pve)

-von
yeah, I think glitch/short lived fix would really be the culprit.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Pets have never had critical heals. You most likely remember extremely high heals from having a high in/out healing boost that isn't really as feasible with newer attack based gear. With high in/out gear it used to be pretty common getting 3k+ healing current for example.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
You are not imagining it. I have had pets critical heal before, though it was few and far between. I have not observed it in a long time though.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Intrepidatius on May 25, 2015 wrote:
You are not imagining it. I have had pets critical heal before, though it was few and far between. I have not observed it in a long time though.
You're both imagining it. Pets do not critical.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
seethe42 on May 26, 2015 wrote:
You're both imagining it. Pets do not critical.
You are wrong. It may not have ever been intended, but they have most definitely cast "criticals" in the past. Just because you have never experienced it, doesn't mean it did not happen . To say someone or something is wrong, when you have no knowledge of it, is based in ignorance. You should make your statements, based in fact, not guess work.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on May 25, 2015 wrote:
Pets have never had critical heals. You most likely remember extremely high heals from having a high in/out healing boost that isn't really as feasible with newer attack based gear. With high in/out gear it used to be pretty common getting 3k+ healing current for example.
no, I clearly remember my pet getting the critical animation. My life wizard now gets critical, and some massive heals, but I didnt even THINK of that wizard back then. I'm actually inclined to believe it was an unintentional fix that was quickly fixed out of the game, but I DID get pet critical heals in the past.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
A few years ago some friends and I did extensive testing of may-casts. We recorded every pet heal over the course of about a year and a half. Hundreds of runs, thousands of casts. We recorded the player, school, pet name, type, stats, talents, location, position etc, kept records on spreadsheets and did statistical comparisons. Many fights were video recorded as well.

We never saw a pet heal critical.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
A pet's may cast heal will not critical. It has never had this ability. If you believe a pet's heal went critical it was the wizard using the pet card which does look as if the pet casts it.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
I am a member of one of the largest Wizard101 groups there is, and I can tell you for certain, that pets have indeed criticaled in the past. Not only have I personally seen it, but it has been seen, discussed, and documented, by many other members of the group as well. I am also in agreement that it was probably a glitch or unintended, and KI probably quietly addressed the issue. Nonetheless, it most certainly DID happen. I saw it, I experienced it, and so did many members of my group. I agree with Prysik; how can you suggest that something did not happen, just because you did not see, or experience it?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mental Void on May 27, 2015 wrote:
I am a member of one of the largest Wizard101 groups there is, and I can tell you for certain, that pets have indeed criticaled in the past. Not only have I personally seen it, but it has been seen, discussed, and documented, by many other members of the group as well. I am also in agreement that it was probably a glitch or unintended, and KI probably quietly addressed the issue. Nonetheless, it most certainly DID happen. I saw it, I experienced it, and so did many members of my group. I agree with Prysik; how can you suggest that something did not happen, just because you did not see, or experience it?
Upon further research, you are correct that Spritely had the ability to critical for a very brief period 4-5 years ago, and was removed. It was before I joined.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Hannah Lifebringer on May 27, 2015 wrote:
A pet's may cast heal will not critical. It has never had this ability. If you believe a pet's heal went critical it was the wizard using the pet card which does look as if the pet casts it.
the pets I was using didnt HAVE a healing card. Only recently, with my life wizard, have I EVER used a pet with healing item cards. All the others were school specific like my Phoenix, for example.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
Well my luck stinks; I have never had the pleasure of seeing a pet of mine critical heal. I did see a friend of mines fairy pet do it once though. It was awesome, and no we were not delusional, it did indeed cast a critical heal, but that is the only time I ever saw it. It was about 2 1/2 years ago. I have heard other people talk it about it happening though. I really don't think mass hysteria/delusions have affected all these people. It must have happened at some point for them. Like I said before, I saw it with my own eyes.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I think i understand the confusion here. Pets do not and never have critical healed. However, if the pet gives a card such as sprite or unicorn that the wizard pays pips to cast, that heal can critical. It will then appear that the pet cast a critical heal, but in reality, it was the wizard and their stats that caused it.
Amber

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
I think we need an official ruling from an administrator on this topic...

Professor Greyrose -- Could you please tell us if it was ever possible during the history of Wizard101 for a pet to hit critical when using its may-cast heal?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
AmberRavenSong7 on May 28, 2015 wrote:
I think i understand the confusion here. Pets do not and never have critical healed. However, if the pet gives a card such as sprite or unicorn that the wizard pays pips to cast, that heal can critical. It will then appear that the pet cast a critical heal, but in reality, it was the wizard and their stats that caused it.
Amber
There is no confusion here at all. Pets did indeed cast critical heals in the past. If you had read the responses before you posted an opinion as fact, you would have known this.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
AmberRavenSong7 on May 28, 2015 wrote:
Amber
to repeat a reply of mine from above:

the pets I was using didnt HAVE a healing card. Only recently, with my life wizard, have I EVER used a pet with healing item cards. All the others were school specific like my Phoenix, for example.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Pets definitely had criticals once. I'm generally wary of nerfs, but I'm honestly happy that pet criticals were disabled before mcFairy and mcHealing Current emerged on the scene.