Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Deck naming freedom

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 29, 2013
The update to rename your decks was incredibly convenient. However, there are not enough options to rename your decks. There are only so many options, that they'll get confusing very quickly

I propose doing 1 of 3 things:
  1. Having more options to name the deck
  2. Manual naming (typing)
  3. Both

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
they may add words you can add to the name but in my oppinion i think for now it is fine.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
I support this. My wizards each have several decks, and it is very difficult to keep track of which is which with the very limited naming allowed. I have specific decks for fighting a variety of cheating bosses, but can't really name them anything but boss deck 1-7, and its difficult to remember which deck goes with which boss.

I understand KingsIsle is concerned with maintaining the "family friendly" atmosphere of Wizard101. In this context, it makes sense not to allow players to freely name their characters whatever they like, because inevitably some would resort to various synonyms for genitalia or other vulgar references. I think it is largely this concern that led to KI developing the deck naming system of picking words from a limited list.

But deck names are different than character names. Everyone sees character names, but deck names are only visible to the owner. The only way another player would ever see another character's deck name is if they actually played the other player's character, or was actually present in real life watching them play at their computer. The former is a violation of the terms of service, and the latter is most likely going to be a parent-child relationship, which the parent can deal with much more appropriately than KingsIsle.

Let players name their decks what they want, it isn't going to compromise the family friendly environment. For database management reasons, there needs to be a character limit, but I don't see allowing 15-20 characters per deck as likely to strain the database.

Defender
May 29, 2013
DanTheTerrible2 on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
I support this. My wizards each have several decks, and it is very difficult to keep track of which is which with the very limited naming allowed. I have specific decks for fighting a variety of cheating bosses, but can't really name them anything but boss deck 1-7, and its difficult to remember which deck goes with which boss.

I understand KingsIsle is concerned with maintaining the "family friendly" atmosphere of Wizard101. In this context, it makes sense not to allow players to freely name their characters whatever they like, because inevitably some would resort to various synonyms for genitalia or other vulgar references. I think it is largely this concern that led to KI developing the deck naming system of picking words from a limited list.

But deck names are different than character names. Everyone sees character names, but deck names are only visible to the owner. The only way another player would ever see another character's deck name is if they actually played the other player's character, or was actually present in real life watching them play at their computer. The former is a violation of the terms of service, and the latter is most likely going to be a parent-child relationship, which the parent can deal with much more appropriately than KingsIsle.

Let players name their decks what they want, it isn't going to compromise the family friendly environment. For database management reasons, there needs to be a character limit, but I don't see allowing 15-20 characters per deck as likely to strain the database.
I thought of that after I posted this
It would be within the closed chat parameters of the game, while it being with text chat

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Yes, the deck naming is great, but confusing because I have to name my fire-enemy deck Fire Boss Deck, which is somewhat confusing for someone with a memory like mine. This is a great idea!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Alura BH on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
Yes, the deck naming is great, but confusing because I have to name my fire-enemy deck Fire Boss Deck, which is somewhat confusing for someone with a memory like mine. This is a great idea!
It's pretty simple as it is now. My storm has a few decks for instance. Main, Boss, Storm Main, Storm Boss (added storm prisms). Those all are clear for their uses. PvP decks use the PvP labels. My Balance has more such as a Tank deck that is all support and healing spells. There's plenty of easy ways to name things with the existing system. They will never allow personalized names because of chat filters.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I agree, why not have free field typing with a 15 or 20 character limit? Best idea I've seen so far regarding deck renaming.