Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Family game = playing together

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 16, 2011
On a lot of the higher level message boards here (Zafaria, Azteca) quite a few posts are about how it's impossible to solo this, and solo that, but thinking about it, this is a family game, and it makes sense that some areas in the game should need help. What better way to bring families together than for them to play together?
Defeating Malistair with your brother, or Malistare the undying.
level 93
level 29
level 18
level 8
level 8
level 10
p.s. Are Malistaire the undying and Malistare the same?
p.s.s. Yes I know that Malistare isn't really a high level boss.

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
Malistaire and Malistaire the Undying are the same

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I think a lot of the complaints are in regard to bosses that must be soloed (i.e., there is no sigil) which means you have to beat your head against a wall for twenty attempts or hire a henchman using crowns. That was my complaint anyway. My son and I usually play together.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
windrunner585 on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
I think a lot of the complaints are in regard to bosses that must be soloed (i.e., there is no sigil) which means you have to beat your head against a wall for twenty attempts or hire a henchman using crowns. That was my complaint anyway. My son and I usually play together.
It's all about strategy and good/decent gear. I always heard that the boss of the level 88 spell quest was very very very hard, but I managed to defeat him in my second try.

We have to learn from our mistakes, if the strategy you used didn't work very well, try another one in the next attempt.

Hope this helps.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
streem485 on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
On a lot of the higher level message boards here (Zafaria, Azteca) quite a few posts are about how it's impossible to solo this, and solo that, but thinking about it, this is a family game, and it makes sense that some areas in the game should need help. What better way to bring families together than for them to play together?
Defeating Malistair with your brother, or Malistare the undying.
level 93
level 29
level 18
level 8
level 8
level 10
p.s. Are Malistaire the undying and Malistare the same?
p.s.s. Yes I know that Malistare isn't really a high level boss.
I think originally this was billed as a "family" game but I am not sure that is still true. After a certain point in the game our younger set stopped playing. I tried to keep them interested but my attempts failed. Since 2 older family members joined. The game has out grown their gaming ability and even tho they still play it's difficult.

Many of us used to have an active friends list but those have moved on to other games etc. More over you will now find others that need your help but really don't want to take the time to help you so it's hard to build a decent friends list.

I agree with the post about the solo fights comment. Encourage group play but throw you into a fight that is more difficult then anything else going on in that land/area you are in and the only help you can get you have to pay for? I am not a fan of 3vs1 and won't be doing that again.

Mary

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
We are a 3 wizard family with many friends who play. I enjoy the social aspect most, but we sometimes solo fights for added challenge. I think the game is well balanced between individual and team play, though some players seem intent on avoiding one or the other.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Northlite on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
I think originally this was billed as a "family" game but I am not sure that is still true. After a certain point in the game our younger set stopped playing. I tried to keep them interested but my attempts failed. Since 2 older family members joined. The game has out grown their gaming ability and even tho they still play it's difficult.

Many of us used to have an active friends list but those have moved on to other games etc. More over you will now find others that need your help but really don't want to take the time to help you so it's hard to build a decent friends list.

I agree with the post about the solo fights comment. Encourage group play but throw you into a fight that is more difficult then anything else going on in that land/area you are in and the only help you can get you have to pay for? I am not a fan of 3vs1 and won't be doing that again.

Mary
I agree.

I'm in my 20s. I soloed most of the game through pre-nerf Azteca (due to my time zone and work hours, I didn't really have a choice), but it was annoying and grind-y.

Most of my friends have moved on to other games. A couple of us still play, but I don't play during the week anymore; I work 45-60 hours a week and, on a weeknight, I simply don't have the time that's required. I play only on weekends now, because that's when my friends are available. Sometimes we quest, sometimes we just stand there and chat, or farm, or whatever.

My death and storm wizards had zero issues with the level 88 spell quests. My balance wizard, however, had the worst time: she had to fight a balance boss with 2 ice minions, which meant dealing with shield-spams (elemental, spirit, AND tower) and not being able to shatter fast enough to keep them off (no mastery amulet=waste of pips). She died 27 times in pursuit of that spell and, after banging my head against the wall repeatedly, I finally gave in and bought a henchman. It made me angry that I had to spend money to progress in-game, and I know for a fact that I was not the only one.

I used to blow off steam after work with some mindless fun. But there is very little actual fun left; it's like, yeah, let's come home from work and settle in for a long night of.... more work.