Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do Shields Stack

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 22, 2012
Hello:

I just wanted to know if shields stack.

For example: I'm a Death Wizard and as you know Death Wizards have Feint .

Now if I place Feint on a particular target, would there be any value in placing Feint on the same target a second time, or is it in my best interest to place that spell on a different target (other than the original one).

AND... does it apply yo all spells other than Feint

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Mugglebump on May 21, 2014 wrote:
Hello:

Now if I place Feint on a particular target, would there be any value in placing Feint on the same target a second time, or is it in my best interest to place that spell on a different target (other than the original one).

Yup, they do. They stack as long as they are different types. In order to have 2 shields up that do not stack, they have to be exactly the same type.

Feint. Fun stuff. Regular, TC, Sharp, Equipment, and Pet Feint all stack, making for a much harder hit. Double or triple of the same type of Feint is handy using a DOT spell, every round of damage has feint added.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Different spells will stack, but not the same one. You can get around this by casting different versions of your spell, e.g. Feint, item card Feint, TC Feint, and potent Feint. Blades and shields work the same way.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
Hello:

Traps do not stack unless one is a treasure card or from an amulet/pet. It is this way for all traps/blades. It would be in your interest to place Feint on the second man.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Going off your current example, 2 feints on the same target would not stack. Now say you put a spell that has a universal debuff on the same target that you put the feint on, then it would stack.
Using the same spell twice causes it to not stack while using different buff/debuff spells on the same target will stack.

E.G. I use thermic shield on myself(giving 50% fire and 50% ice) then use a fire shield(70%) on myself. The 2 fire buffs will stack as they are different spells.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Hello:

In order for any traps or blades to stack they must be different.

Ex: Regular Trained Feint, Feint from Jewel of Feint, Feint from Pet, Trained Feint that Potent Trap has been added to, Trained Feint that Potent trap from Pet has been added to, Treasure Card Feint - all stack and can be a good base for someone trying to get One in a Million.

The same goes with other traps and blades. As long as they are different but have the same purpose they stack.

Mary

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
The general rule is that identical charms and wards don't stack but non-identical ones do. Treasure cards are different from item cards which are different from learned spell cards. Traps and blades cast by minions are identical to the learned versions. Traps and blades cast by pets are item cards. Using sharpen blade creates a different blade from the non-sharpened version, and potent trap works the same way.

Its an oddity that if you and your opponent both cast feint the 70% offensive trap and the 30% penalty trap get counted as identical by the game engine, and only the last one placed will be counted for any single attack. For example, you cast feint and then your opponent casts feint. You each now have 2 wards on you, one created by each feint. Next turn you each cast an attack spell. Your attack spell get +30% for the opponents penalty ward, which was cast last. The opponent's attack gets +70% for his offensive ward, which was the last cast. The other wards are still there, and will get used if another attack is cast.

And note that the word "shield" is usually used for a defensive ward, one that reduces incoming damage. OP clearly meant "trap" in his original question, a trap is a ward that increases incoming damage.