Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death class infection.

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 29, 2013
It's about draining. These complaints are for nothing. There's nothing wrong with the class. If you want damage reduction, there's 3 amazing spells in Plague, Virulent, and Bad Juju. BJ turns the next attack into a joke, while Virulent greatly hinders attack.
There has to be a counter to Life's healing dome.
Yea, Infection is useless, considering the amount of healing pets, but Doom and Gloom is one of the most useful spells in PvP. There's a reason that it goes up when a team destroys the other
The whole "Split Personality" thing you're all suggesting sounds dumb, and won't happen. Stop complaining and work with what you have.
Want useless? Look at Power Play!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
kylesar1 on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
It's about draining. These complaints are for nothing. There's nothing wrong with the class. If you want damage reduction, there's 3 amazing spells in Plague, Virulent, and Bad Juju. BJ turns the next attack into a joke, while Virulent greatly hinders attack.
Yea, Infection is useless, considering the amount of healing pets, but Doom and Gloom is one of the most useful spells in PvP. There's a reason that it goes up when a team destroys the other
The whole "Split Personality" thing you're all suggesting sounds dumb, and won't happen. Stop complaining and work with what you have.
Boy am I tired of that sentiment. if all people are going to do is downplay somebody else's idea, just dont reply.

"No, your idea is dumb, but my complaint is more valid"

WHY does there have to be a counter to life's healing dome?

Your attitude is why people are soo hateful of PvPers. "No it works fine, I NEED that spell, leave it alone! BTW, your idea sucks because I need it the way it is". Just stop it. You don't like power Play? Stop complaining and work with what you have. As for the split purpose idea, it actually makes a lot more sense then nerfing the heck out of spells all the time because you, as a PVPer, cant handle a certain spell.

"It's useful in PvP" is NOT a reason not to make improvements in spells, and with my idea, you would NOT be affected at all and improvements can be done. Where's the harm in it? Close minded opinions have no place in problem solving

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
dayerider on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
thank you for providing an answer to my question. Now, while they are known to have the spell stocked in their deck, how often do they use them? See, that's the important thing. not just having them loaded, but actually USING is the key point here when talking about heal debuffing spells, and it's value to PvE. Just as an example, if 90% of monsters never healed, then heal debuffing would mostly be a PvP spell. if 90% of monsters DID heal, this would be a PvE spell. This is the point I've been trying to make; what ACTUALLY heals. Healing debuffing spells are fairly useless in PvE. having been into Khrysalis once, and into Azteca twice with my two wizards, I think it's safe to say that my experience is valid. MY experience is that most monsters, 95% of my fights and above, do NOT heal, thus making ALL healing debuffing effects for Death School worthless. This same thing was parroted when death's King Artorus spell came out. people were saying that for the pips to damage, KA was NOT worth it compared to Dr Von's and they voiced concern about yet another heal debuffing
I can answer you simply with this... If they never used them, I wouldn't have bothered hitting them with things like infection and doom and gloom. I have been running a new death through all the worlds again and you know what I noticed? Monsters heal (with a sprite or better) quite a lot. You know what else I noticed? I deal so ding dang much damage with my death now that it doesn't matter. The damage boost available now simply didn't exist in the game when infection and doom and gloom were debuted.

As for your experiences in the game... You are frankly lucky. I have been from time to time, I have also not been from time to time. Those monsters that heal are not a big deal until they decide to exercise the option. At that point, I'm happy to have heal debuffing. I want to be clear, however, I'm not advocating a static position here and I think that providing good options to the existing and future spells is a good idea. I think that even voicing your disappointment with the direction of spells is a good idea. I'm merely illustrating that while your experience is valid, so is everyone else who has been unfortunate enough do deal with monsters who have that "healing feeling".

I personally could go either way on altering these spells. Given the breadth and variety of marginal spells in this game across all seven schools, it is far easier for me to live with a few effects or spells that have situational use than spells for which I can find absolutely no use. Therefore, I have largely been trying to offer perspective in a sort of "sounding board" way. I can agree that I'm not a fan of continuing to add heal reducing effects to any future spells... I would prefer damage reduction which does also seem in line with the death school. I would like to finish with this little aside:

KA (death version) obviously doesn't seem worth it compared to Dr. Von's... and that would be because Dr. Von's is substantially higher per pip for a drain spell than any other drain spell. It in fact deals death single hitter damage. I assure you that KA (death version) is inline with single hitter damage per pip, regardless of effects. It isn't the -30% heal token that makes the spell worth while, its that +10 death armor pierce used in combination with one of the DoTs death has.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kylesar1 on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
I think that this post unfortunately typifies what so many are complaining about. I don't mean to single you out, but we are players in this truly fantastic game together. This in particular I find not useful:

"The whole "Split Personality" thing you're all suggesting sounds dumb, and won't happen. Stop complaining and work with what you have."

While I personally find that dayerider's suggestion to have split personality spells is likely not to be implemented due to the amount of coding, increased complexity, and ongoing maintenance it would require, it is by no means the worst suggestion for an ever increasing divide between the PvE and PvP crowd. Your post really only counters this thread based on PvP, a counter I might add which frankly only serves to bolster dayerider's position in the first place. If you read the OP you'll find that he actually isn't even asking for changes to be made to existing spells. He's asking that KI avoid heal reduction on future spells.

As a parting thought in response to this statement:

"There has to be a counter to Life's healing dome."

Any global is a counter to life's global... Doom and gloom isn't necessary as a counter to Sanctuary. Arguments such as these are reflexive and do nothing to further the debate.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
170calories on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
I think the glaring problem with the spell is it negatively effects teams to a point that it actually puts your group in jeopardy using it. To me that just isnt a good mechanic.

Ok so for some ideas.
1. For after effects you could have a trap that is put on the mob that increases your life received from your next drain by 25%...or something like that

2. Ideas for Doom and Gloom replacement could go like this.
Have the area of effect spell give the entire group healing equal to 10% of the health you received from your drains. For example I have this fictional spell out and I cast scarecrow and I get back 1000 health, then everyone in my party would receive 100 health. To keep this from being overpowered they could adjust this number up or down.

Next idea would be to have the AOE add 20% to all drained life received.

Next could be when ever the opponent heals you receive 10% of their healing.
Sorry for missing this post, it seems I skipped ahead and missed this one. I agree that Doom & Gloom affects teams unless they all have a plan to heal through drain spells. If well timed, it could potentially be useful on things like cheating bosses, but I find that most PvE teams just don't have the level of coordination necessary to pull it off. I agree that the mechanic isn't very useful in most team situations.

1. That's decent and precedented effect. Most of the death spells that do that currently require something exotic like a mutate, pet, or item card of some kind. In my opinion, this is a very supportable proposition for future spells.

2. That is an interesting idea. The only problem I see is that it effectively turns single hitter spells into "all friends" spells which provides for an entirely new game dynamic. That's something I'd need to seriously consider before I could throw my support behind it... but it is a really interesting idea.

"Next idea would be to have the AOE add 20% to all drained life received."

So kind of a death version of sanctuary? Is that what you mean?

"Next could be when ever the opponent heals you receive 10% of their healing."

Ok, this is a really interesting idea... a heal stealing global. Would it siphon off a portion of enemy healing and distribute it to friends or just do heal matching? What would be the mechanic to portion this healing out on the friend side?

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
The farthest I've ever gotten to Level 10 as a Death so I don't know. But I bet you're right.

Cole Goldenflame, Level 39 Pyromancer World: Mooshu and Grizzleheim Area: Tatakai Outpost and Mirkholm Keep