Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reporting people (members vs free etc)

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Nicholas Hawkspear on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
So now you have to pay to keep the game safe? This idea is very bad, in my opinion. Having to pay to report someone is very strange. It makes me wonder how you thought of it.

-Nick
"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield"
Currently, that's the way it is, that you can't report unless you've paid money. I'm talking about making it possible for everyone to submit reports. If someone is being creative with words to curse and it's directed to someone who isn't a member, then that person using the bad language gets away with it. Why shouldn't a free player be allowed to report others? If a free player reports people for not being their friend, then obviously they get their reporting privileges reduced (or removed if it happens enough times).

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
seethe42 on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
The problem with allowing free players to report is obvious. ANYONE can make as many free accounts as they like. This opens reporting to HUGE abuse. Yes it doesn't seem fair on the face of it, but it IS necessary to limit to paying customers. They cannot just randomly start a new member account to attack someone with reports. Members are accountable for their reporting actions. Non-members could just start another account and false report at will. Members could also just start another free account and false report at will. Even limiting it wouldn't stop or even slow the abuse possible.
Okay let's think about this logically.

Someone asks me to gift them and I say no. So they false report me. Then they decide that the more reports, the more I get in trouble, so they quickly make a new account and a new wizard. Making a new wizard takes at least 5 minutes. Okay once that's done, they friend their main wizard, port, click my name and then report me. The repeat the process again. So now they've spent over 10 minutes to get in two more reports. Yeah, that's so going to happen.

Let's say that someone planned ahead and has a few accounts with at least one wizard on each one and let's say inside of a 10 minute period of time, they are able to get three or four wizards on, port to their main wizard and then report me. Seeing multiple reports that are all somewhat the same, but where only one report was there when the 'offense' took place, that's going to raise a red flag. So then a look at the account activity and, oh look, these accounts weren't even on when this happened. Oh and on top of that, they are all from the same location. Must be the same person. So then, remove that persons ability to submit reports on all accounts that can be linked to that person, along with possibly suspending all the accounts to make the point that such abuse will not be tolerated.

Yeah, all that effort and even if nothing were to happen to the offender (the person making the false reports), it's still a lot to do just to get in one or two extra false reports.

I don't see it getting abused like that. If it were, it would more likely be friends reporting someone rather than the same person using multiple accounts.

Whole idea is to let those who won't submit valid reports weed themselves out while letting the good reports continue to help keep the game a safer place to be.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
The problem with allowing free players to report is obvious. ANYONE can make as many free accounts as they like. This opens reporting to HUGE abuse. Yes it doesn't seem fair on the face of it, but it IS necessary to limit to paying customers. They cannot just randomly start a new member account to attack someone with reports. Members are accountable for their reporting actions. Non-members could just start another account and false report at will. Members could also just start another free account and false report at will. Even limiting it wouldn't stop or even slow the abuse possible.
I have to agree with Seethe42 on this one. The potential for abuse is too large if you open it up to non-members. There is no mechanism for accountability with non-members. There are several threads complaining about bullying and rude behavior already. What could happen if that bullying escalates to false reports that have no consequence?

Also, really, the logistics for trying to create such mechanisms for non-members outweigh the benefits to be gained by more reporting. There are enough members who keep their eyes open for inappropriate behavior already. Sooner or later the people who really are behaving inappropriately will get reported and dealt with. For keeping Wizard101 safe and friendly, it is not necessary to have every visitor to the spiral being able to make reports.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
I've been watching this thread in interest and finally decided to jump in.
I agree it would be nice and helpful to everyone if the ability to report was expanded. I have been both on a subscription and as a crowns player over years. I can only recall reporting 1 time and that was when I was between subs. I had someone aggressively trying to get my account name and password. I know better, but it was obvious that if I just ignored them they would just go to someone else and find someone more gullible than me. Hence, I felt it was my moral duty to report this, but being without a sub I found out I could not. I did go and send an e-mail, but that was much more hassle and almost didn't follow through. The point of the story is that us responsible members of the community (with or without a sub) should be allowed to report offenses.
I think the policy could be much simpler in that if you ever buy crowns or a sub, then reporting is activated for your account. KI already has a flexible policy about false reports and if they choose to be more strict about accounts that only spent $5 vs $100s they can do that at their own discretion. But if someone used real money on that account, why not give them this ability that if they abuse will be revoked. If someone is willing to create a new account and pay $5 to make another false report, seems like a money maker for KI.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
I have to agree with Seethe42 on this one. The potential for abuse is too large if you open it up to non-members. There is no mechanism for accountability with non-members. There are several threads complaining about bullying and rude behavior already. What could happen if that bullying escalates to false reports that have no consequence?

Also, really, the logistics for trying to create such mechanisms for non-members outweigh the benefits to be gained by more reporting. There are enough members who keep their eyes open for inappropriate behavior already. Sooner or later the people who really are behaving inappropriately will get reported and dealt with. For keeping Wizard101 safe and friendly, it is not necessary to have every visitor to the spiral being able to make reports.
"There are enough members who keep their eyes open for inappropriate behavior already."

Yeah I guess you're right. I mean, after all, members can see whispers that weren't sent to them so they can always report when one person is saying something inappropriate in a whisper to someone who can't report others. And it's not like other people who can report don't even though they should, either because they believe someone else will or because they are against reporting others (they think it's mean, it's a friend of theirs, don't want to get in the middle of it, etc). So yeah, I guess you're completely right. (Please note the sarcasm.)

Being serious now, your way of thinking is along the lines of, "You should be made to pay in order to help others out." Free players are people too and if someone who wants to be inappropriate manages to target just free players outside of the 'view' of members, then they can get away with it without getting caught because it's not like the free players can report the behavior. This can actually discourage parents from paying for a membership for their child (thus K.I losing money) if they see their child getting bullied with no way to report the person. Instead of trying to figure out why they can't report, they might just figure it's broken or a joke or something and move on to something else. "Why should I let me child play on a game that allows children to get bullied?"

Let's say that K.I. were to implement my idea. I'm sure they could do a slow roll out where those with recent purchases would be affected first, moving on to others who aren't members but have made purchases (beyond the 30 day mark), from most recent towards least recent. For the free members (no purchases at all), oldest accounts first, slowly moving towards newer accounts.

Wouldn't be that hard to implement and would help to keep the false reporting down as it's done (and for those who do false reports, be able to nip it in the bud). Eventually, all players could report and it would help improve the safety of the game.

Keep in mind that the idea is to not penalize those who would be doing K.I. a favor by bringing something to their attention, while not being overwhelmed by extra unnecessary work.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:

maybe if kingsisle would pay more attention to if a report was false or not which would be easier if you couldn't report at all after getting caught for a false report (lose reporting privileges for a month first time 2 months second time 6 months third time 1 year fourth time and further false reports) this abuse would be highly useless and kings could easily tract if a bunch of accounts have been made from one email and have rarely been used couldn't they just ban that rarely used account?

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Fangs McWolf on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
"There are enough members who keep their eyes open for inappropriate behavior already."

Yeah I guess you're right. I mean, after all, members can see whispers that weren't sent to them so they can always report when one person is saying something inappropriate in a whisper to someone who can't report others. And it's not like other people who can report don't even though they should, either because they believe someone else will or because they are against reporting others (they think it's mean, it's a friend of theirs, don't want to get in the middle of it, etc). So yeah, I guess you're completely right. (Please note the sarcasm.)

Being serious now, your way of thinking is along the lines of, "You should be made to pay in order to help others out." Free players are people too and if someone who wants to be inappropriate manages to target just free players outside of the 'view' of members, then they can get away with it without getting caught because it's not like the free players can report the behavior. This can actually discourage parents from paying for a membership for their child (thus K.I losing money) if they see their child getting bullied with no way to report the person. Instead of trying to figure out why they can't report, they might just figure it's broken or a joke or something and move on to something else. "Why should I let me child play on a game that allows children to get bullied?"

Let's say that K.I. were to implement my idea. I'm sure they could do a slow roll out where those with recent purchases would be affected first, moving on to others who aren't members but have made purchases (beyond the 30 day mark), from most recent towards least recent. For the free members (no purchases at all), oldest accounts first, slowly moving towards newer accounts.

Wouldn't be that hard to implement and would help to keep the false reporting down as it's done (and for those who do false reports, be able to nip it in the bud). Eventually, all players could report and it would help improve the safety of the game.

Keep in mind that the idea is to not penalize those who would be doing K.I. a favor by bringing something to their attention, while not being overwhelmed by extra unnecessary work.
I appreciate your desire to bring equality to all players, and the desire to keep the game safe. I think most of us agree with you on this, including me. I am myself a parent of a child who plays the game, and I have myself reported people for inappropriate behavior.

I mean you no ill will, and am not trying to put you down in any way. I did note the sarcasm, even without your parenthetical, and was disappointed by it. If you are trying to promote kindness and consideration in the game, please practice it in the boards as well.

That said, I also honestly disagree with your idea. While at first glance, it seems good for everyone to have equal privileges whether they pay or not, it creates a potential for harm that is greater than the potential benefit. It opens the door to really harmful abuse of the reporting system. I doubt that many people would engage in that abuse, but there are probably a few "bad apples" who would. And since free-to-play wizards can be created and eliminated fairly easily with no real consequence, there is no real way to implement accountability for such actions.

I have read your suggestions for ways to create accountability, and I appreciate the thought there, but I don't think they are realistically feasible. The only people who really have much to lose by making false reports are members, and so they are the ones who can be held accountable. Perhaps there may be some way to work with the crowns purchase idea -- especially if it were not just crowns purchase, but areas opened with crowns -- but even that seems unlikely. I don't think it is an idea that can be implemented effectively from what I have read in the thread so far. And without real accountability for reporting, the potential harm outweighs the potential good.

The issue is not just about giving everyone a voice to report. It is also about insuring that the people who are able to make the reports are actually accountable for the reports they make.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
I appreciate your desire to bring equality to all players, and the desire to keep the game safe. I think most of us agree with you on this, including me. I am myself a parent of a child who plays the game, and I have myself reported people for inappropriate behavior.

I mean you no ill will, and am not trying to put you down in any way. I did note the sarcasm, even without your parenthetical, and was disappointed by it. If you are trying to promote kindness and consideration in the game, please practice it in the boards as well.

That said, I also honestly disagree with your idea. While at first glance, it seems good for everyone to have equal privileges whether they pay or not, it creates a potential for harm that is greater than the potential benefit. It opens the door to really harmful abuse of the reporting system. I doubt that many people would engage in that abuse, but there are probably a few "bad apples" who would. And since free-to-play wizards can be created and eliminated fairly easily with no real consequence, there is no real way to implement accountability for such actions.

I have read your suggestions for ways to create accountability, and I appreciate the thought there, but I don't think they are realistically feasible. The only people who really have much to lose by making false reports are members, and so they are the ones who can be held accountable. Perhaps there may be some way to work with the crowns purchase idea -- especially if it were not just crowns purchase, but areas opened with crowns -- but even that seems unlikely. I don't think it is an idea that can be implemented effectively from what I have read in the thread so far. And without real accountability for reporting, the potential harm outweighs the potential good.

The issue is not just about giving everyone a voice to report. It is also about insuring that the people who are able to make the reports are actually accountable for the reports they make.
You are forgetting that free-to-play wizards still take time to create. Someone can't just make a new account and have a new wizard to use to false report in under a minute. It takes a few minutes at the very least and by that time, the person they want to falsely report may already be gone. I see the point you are trying to make but you are forgetting that someone wanting to abuse the report system would have to put in some amount of effort just to do it.

My ideas for trying to discourage and even 'punish' false reports isn't with the idea that there is an army of players who play the game for that sole purpose. It's to stop false reports from people who don't seem to know any better. Let's say some player named Taylor (just a random name) reports another player (let's call them Michael, another randomly picked name) because he wouldn't gift a pack. Taylor might be a kid who just doesn't know better and thinks that someone refusing to gift them is something they can report for. Obviously, that's not a good report and their reporting ability should be reduced (or removed).

But let's say that Taylor was talking to friends in the commons area and Michael whispered some creative language to Taylor, so that no one else could see it. Taylor wants to report but can't because they don't have that option since they aren't a paying member. Just because paying members can report and even if there are nearby members who could report, since they don't see it, they can't really report it. After all, what if they report Michael and he didn't really do anything wrong?

Referring back to earlier, where you mention about people intentionally abusing it (ie, accountability), I believe that those would would go out of their way to do that would be a small minority. The biggest problem would most likely be people misusing it rather than intentional abuse. I know I've used the word 'abuse' but it's more meant as accidental misuse rather than purposeful misuse.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Fangs McWolf on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
You are forgetting that free-to-play wizards still take time to create. Someone can't just make a new account and have a new wizard to use to false report in under a minute. It takes a few minutes at the very least and by that time, the person they want to falsely report may already be gone. I see the point you are trying to make but you are forgetting that someone wanting to abuse the report system would have to put in some amount of effort just to do it.

My ideas for trying to discourage and even 'punish' false reports isn't with the idea that there is an army of players who play the game for that sole purpose. It's to stop false reports from people who don't seem to know any better. Let's say some player named Taylor (just a random name) reports another player (let's call them Michael, another randomly picked name) because he wouldn't gift a pack. Taylor might be a kid who just doesn't know better and thinks that someone refusing to gift them is something they can report for. Obviously, that's not a good report and their reporting ability should be reduced (or removed).

But let's say that Taylor was talking to friends in the commons area and Michael whispered some creative language to Taylor, so that no one else could see it. Taylor wants to report but can't because they don't have that option since they aren't a paying member. Just because paying members can report and even if there are nearby members who could report, since they don't see it, they can't really report it. After all, what if they report Michael and he didn't really do anything wrong?

Referring back to earlier, where you mention about people intentionally abusing it (ie, accountability), I believe that those would would go out of their way to do that would be a small minority. The biggest problem would most likely be people misusing it rather than intentional abuse. I know I've used the word 'abuse' but it's more meant as accidental misuse rather than purposeful misuse.
fangs i agree with you 70% if anyone false reports they should not be allowed to report again for a month after that if you false report lose reporting for 2 months after the if you false report lose reporting 6 months after that if you false report lose reporting for a year after that a year again and if you false report again another year without reporting
now some people might not know what they can report kingsisle has a list of common mistakes they can post a link to on the launcher. and members lose reporting the same way as non paying and non member crowns buyers in this. and free players get to report all they want (as long as their valid reports) just like members.

why do you need to pay to help kingsisle keep the game family friendly?

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
What about allowing anyone to report that is above a certain level? That would show that they have invested enough time and crowns into their character to get it to that level and a loss of that character would indeed be felt. Since you have to either have membership or crowns to get your wizard to a higher level, that would show that you care enough about your character to invest time and money into it and would not easily just throw that away on a temper tantrum report.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
What about allowing anyone to report that is above a certain level? That would show that they have invested enough time and crowns into their character to get it to that level and a loss of that character would indeed be felt. Since you have to either have membership or crowns to get your wizard to a higher level, that would show that you care enough about your character to invest time and money into it and would not easily just throw that away on a temper tantrum report.
Above a certain level for free players (non members, below a certain amount of crowns purchased if any at all) I think would be a good idea. Just it should be account wide - so long as at least one wizard is at/above a certain level, the account qualifies. Someone who has purchased over a certain amount of crowns can also report, regardless of level. After all, they have invested a certain amount of money into the game, so why not? For those who have a membership that expired, they would likely have a wizard above a certain level anyway, so they would still qualify.

I like that concept. If a free player, have to earn the ability to do reports. Would definitely prevent someone from making a few wizards to just report people with and those who don't put in the time might not realize the importance of using discretion.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
That seems like it might work. As others have said, getting a character to a certain level takes time and they might not want to throw that character away on a false report.

I'd like to ask though, around what level would this limit be set at?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Fangs McWolf on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
Above a certain level for free players (non members, below a certain amount of crowns purchased if any at all) I think would be a good idea. Just it should be account wide - so long as at least one wizard is at/above a certain level, the account qualifies. Someone who has purchased over a certain amount of crowns can also report, regardless of level. After all, they have invested a certain amount of money into the game, so why not? For those who have a membership that expired, they would likely have a wizard above a certain level anyway, so they would still qualify.

I like that concept. If a free player, have to earn the ability to do reports. Would definitely prevent someone from making a few wizards to just report people with and those who don't put in the time might not realize the importance of using discretion.
That would solve the possible abuse. No level needed really, just make it quest based. Once you finish all free area quests, you have the ability. That would prevent people from making throwaway characters.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Yeah, this might work. Good idea. Especially with Seethe's modification, of the character having moved beyond just the free to play areas.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
seethe42 on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
That would solve the possible abuse. No level needed really, just make it quest based. Once you finish all free area quests, you have the ability. That would prevent people from making throwaway characters.
It wouldn't prevent people from doing that, but would make it so that they would have to put in some amount of effort first. Though one would hope that after putting in such effort, that the person would value that effort too much to just squander it on false reporting someone.

Thinking on it some though, those who don't reach that point may have a valid reason to report someone. So to go back to what I was originally saying, but maybe a little more restrictive. For someone who is a free player (no money invested at all), before completing all of the WC story quests, they get to submit one report a week. Based on the quality of that report, they could get it back (be able to submit another), have the time increased or if it's one of those where it was a good report even if the person reported isn't considered to be in violation of the rules (if you get what I'm saying), then nothing changes, that player just has to wait a week before they can report someone else.

This would let a free player report someone who needs to be reported and at the same time, if it's going to be abused or if it's obvious the player doesn't know how to exercise good judgment for what to report, then it will affect them in the future so they can't bombard support with lots of bad reports. In other words, actually help to reduce a future problem.

Mind you, the highest/most advanced/developed wizard on the account would affect the entire account (so if I started playing a new wizard, I wouldn't have the same restriction on me since my most developed wizard is max level). Also, once someone has invested time in developing a wizard, as you mentioned (completed all free areas), then they are able to submit more reports during a period of time.

Sort of a tier system, where those misusing the system would get caught earlier on to reduce future misuse in the future and thus, again, reducing more headaches in the future. Of course, those who pay might avoid this limitation, but this is about non members.

Defender
May 02, 2010
There should not be a limit on who can report and who can. This would make KI look money-hungry. What if a non-paid character is bullied constantly? Now they cannot do anything for themselves because of the limit. I disagree with this.

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
Fangs McWolf on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
I think there should be three tiers for being able to report people...

Membership (full 'rented' access to the game) - as is now.

Free player - up to three reports a month. If a report is deemed as valid (ie not a false report), then they the quota for that month is increased by one (in effect, if you submit a valid report, you get it back so you can use it again). It wouldn't increase the limit per month.

Paid player - if a player has spent over a certain amount of money in one transaction or over a certain other amount total, then that player gets say five per week, with the same rule as above (valid reports get you credit to submit another report). This would be after their 'paid' status has worn off and they are seeing the 'upgrade now' button.

For both the 'free' and 'paid' players, if someone shows obvious signs of abusing the report system, then their quota would go down. Free player might get dropped from 3/month to 1/month (and then to none at all if abused). Paid might go from 5/month to 3/month to 1/month. If someone has a good track record of submitting valid reports, then their quota could also be increased some, so that they can continue to assist KI with the helpful reports.

Me, personally, I tend to restrict reports to someone using foul language. Not really sure what else I should report people for (the instructions for what to report is hard to understand, at best), but would like to think that if I see someone using adult language that I would be able to report it instead of having the button dimmed out.
I don't really like this idea. What if someone reported 3 people but someone really bad is there? That person would not be caught. Also I don't want to think of wizard101 as a game where you have to pay for everything.

Antonio Sandshade, Level 50 Grandmaster Pyromancer

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
J StormCatcher on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
There should not be a limit on who can report and who can. This would make KI look money-hungry. What if a non-paid character is bullied constantly? Now they cannot do anything for themselves because of the limit. I disagree with this.
Currently, free to play members can't report. This requested change would enable it for free to play members.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2011
I agree with this, because false reports need to slightly be reduced. Once on my Myth wizard a wizard (the losing one) reported me because I won a PvP match. I didn't get banned or anything, but people need to learn that the report button doesn't solve everything.

Daniel Fireflame, level 90

Daniel Ogrebreaker, level 50

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
No no no, I think EVERYONE should be able to report a player. Why not? Just because they don't pay $9.99 a month? What if someone was being bullied and taunted and they just reported a few things accidentally that was false? What will they do then, just let the mean player go and laugh at their faces? I think KI needs to make is so that everyone can report no matter what. Besides, did you even think about what the free players might feel, their playing limits are going down just inch by inch everyday. Be fair!

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 42 theurgist

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Fangs McWolf on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
I think there should be three tiers for being able to report people...

Membership (full 'rented' access to the game) - as is now.

Free player - up to three reports a month. If a report is deemed as valid (ie not a false report), then they the quota for that month is increased by one (in effect, if you submit a valid report, you get it back so you can use it again). It wouldn't increase the limit per month.

Paid player - if a player has spent over a certain amount of money in one transaction or over a certain other amount total, then that player gets say five per week, with the same rule as above (valid reports get you credit to submit another report). This would be after their 'paid' status has worn off and they are seeing the 'upgrade now' button.

For both the 'free' and 'paid' players, if someone shows obvious signs of abusing the report system, then their quota would go down. Free player might get dropped from 3/month to 1/month (and then to none at all if abused). Paid might go from 5/month to 3/month to 1/month. If someone has a good track record of submitting valid reports, then their quota could also be increased some, so that they can continue to assist KI with the helpful reports.

Me, personally, I tend to restrict reports to someone using foul language. Not really sure what else I should report people for (the instructions for what to report is hard to understand, at best), but would like to think that if I see someone using adult language that I would be able to report it instead of having the button dimmed out.
I agree with this. My membership had expired a couple days ago, but at that time I wanted to play ranked pvp, so I bought a day pass with the just enough crowns I had. Keep in mind I was going to renew my membership the next day, and I did. But in one of those matches, I met a player that was toxic, calling me noob and verbally abusing me, when I went to report the button was grayed out. I don't usually ignore because what good is turning a blind eye to horrible people when you could get justice by reporting them and therefore stopping them from doing it again.

Also, and other people have said this, you should be a certain level, whether that is finishing Wizard City for hitting a certain level, they are all good ideas.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Vanessa891011 on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
No no no, I think EVERYONE should be able to report a player. Why not? Just because they don't pay $9.99 a month? What if someone was being bullied and taunted and they just reported a few things accidentally that was false? What will they do then, just let the mean player go and laugh at their faces? I think KI needs to make is so that everyone can report no matter what. Besides, did you even think about what the free players might feel, their playing limits are going down just inch by inch everyday. Be fair!

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 42 theurgist
This has been said many times already and I hope this is the last time someone has to say this. Currently, it stands that players without a membership cannot report at all. This requested change allows non-member players to report and possibly if they do good reports, get their limit up. Without this, the system would remain that if you weren't a member you couldn't report.