Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Armor Piercing?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 04, 2012
Ok, what exactly is armor piercing? I've seen it before, but I still don't entirely get it. I know it has something to do with resistance and shields, but what about when your opponent has no shields or resistance to whatever spell you casted with armor piercing? Someone help me plz!

Historian
May 06, 2009
BBallPro7905 on Aug 4, 2013 wrote:
Ok, what exactly is armor piercing? I've seen it before, but I still don't entirely get it. I know it has something to do with resistance and shields, but what about when your opponent has no shields or resistance to whatever spell you casted with armor piercing? Someone help me plz!
This ia from the Zafaria Update notes back in November 2011:

"Introducing a new system for Wizards that will allow players to negate the defenses of their opponents and deliver deadly spell attacks even through heavily fortified opponents. Creatures of the Spiral do not yet have this ability.

Armor Piercing can be gained through gear, pet talents, and spells. Armor Piercing on spells can exist as enchantments from Sun school cards, beneficial effects from auras, or inherent Armor Piercing on a spell card.

Armor Piercing is calculated by reducing the resistance of targeted enemies by the value of the Armor Piercing of the casted spell. For example, a spell cast with 7% Armor Piercing on a target with 90% resistance will have damage calculated by taking 83% of normal damage.

This Armor Piercing value is inclusive of any wards that are present on a target. For example, if a spell has a 20% Armor Piercing value and is cast on a player with a Tower Shield ( 50% Damage Resistance ) then the effective damage is only reduced by 30%.

Armor Piercing does not work against Curses. ( Plague, Weakness, Efreet Curse)"

Basically, Armor Piercing will decrease the value of any given defense mechanism by however much armor piercing percentage you have. So say someone has 50% natural resist to all schools. You have 30% armor piercing. The Armor Piercing will decrease the opponent's resist from 50% to only 20% when you attack them.
Unfortunately it will only pierce the first defenses. For example, say you're fighting an Ice wizard with 25% resist and he puts on a Tower Shield (-50%). You have 20% Armor Piercing. This will pierce only through the Tower Shield making it now -30%, not additionally into the natural resist. The Ice wizard will still have 25% resist against the spell. Armor Piercing does work on Fortify.

If someone has no shield to your school, or any resistance to your school (basically no defenses), the piercing will not respond because there is nothing for it to pierce.

I hope this helped!

Survivor
Apr 04, 2012