Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-26-13

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 11, 2011
I try to design my decks so that I always have something to do. This way I rarely have to pass. 75% of the spells in my decks cost 0 or 1 mana. If I need an attack I dump extra cards as I continue to blade/trap/shield.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Well I pass when I don't find the spell am looking for or when am looking for blades

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
My most common reason to pass is that I do not have a spell that I can use, and is typically proceeded by discarding one or more cards that I foresee I will not be using. As the size of the deck increases, it becomes more likely that a player will get a hand without a card they can use, as the size of the hand does not increase. Using a general utility deck, rather than a custom one for a specific encounter, increases the number of available cards that will not be useful.

This problem also gets worse as new spells are added, as it increases the potential for getting cards that can't be used at a particular time. It will also get worse if we increase the size of the deck above the current cap once there are new expansions, but even keeping the same size deck will lead to the same problem.

One potential solution would be to increase the size of the playing hand, as even a marginal increase would dramatically reduce the odds of not having a useful card. It would be a nice ability change for the highest levels, as the decks are otherwise capped for cards and the designers are resorting to placing ability buffs on the deck itself.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
When I don't have the card I need. Pretty often.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
1. Have no blades/traps, need pips
2. When somebody needs to make the winning kill and have no blades
3. Discarded all cards and had no attack spells or blades or traps left.

-Molly
Level 70 (FINALLY)
Balance

Survivor
Dec 21, 2010
When I don't have enough pips or just don't want to waste pips.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
I usually pass when I either have no cards I have enough pips for. Or if I have useless cards, then I just delete them and pass.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
dayerider on Jul 26, 2013 wrote:
For me, I'm passing for 3 reasons:

1) building pips (the most common)
2) don't have a spell I want to use and am discarding (much less common)
3) when somebody asks to make the killing shot and I can't buff them (rarely)
dayerider pretty much covered it.

I usually can blade or throw a zero pip spell of another type but if not - it's exactly as they said.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
the main reason is to pip up so that i can us a higher lvl hit spell. we do not start with enough pips like the higher lvl Mobs do...

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I don't pass often. When I do it is because I am building pips, looking for specific boosts, when I am stunned, or if someone is playing the killing hit.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Hi Professor Falmea,

I normally only pass for one of three reasons,

1. I am fighting a Jade player and they are trying to Turtle, to run me out of cards.
2. I am digging into my TC sidedeck, and didn't get what I needed.
3. I don't have the cards in my hand that I need to use at the moment (which seldom happens).

Imo, the Jade or extremely high resist player is the cause of most passing in PvP.
I have watched many PvP battles, mainly 1v1, and the passing starts when a Jade wearing wizard,
with high resist, better than 60, is in the battle.

Thanks for reading.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Being a Storm wizard I pass about at least 20 or 30 maybe even 40 times because I'm either looking for the spell I want to use. or I'm helping someone get "One in a Million" Plus now that the spells pip costs are getting so high in numbers I also need to wait for the pips to use the spell! And it also doesn't help when I finally find my spell fizzle with it then I need to re-find another which would be more passing. I have also notice I have to use some random attack when the enemy uses a weakness or tower shield which my pips would be taken so I need to re-gain the pips for my big attack. (I suggest some low pip spells with High damage)

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
I pass a lot because I see either:
1.the guy in front of me has a powerful attack that is sure to beat the enemy
2. I don't have enough pips
3.the person after me asks me to pass
4.i mean to click a card but end up pushing pass
5. I am afk
6. I am discarding cards (should be able to see 10 cards at a time)

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
I rarely pass when I'm playing by myself, or playing in my regular group. That's probably because I like to keep my deck very efficient -- filling it in such a way that I rarely have a hand where there is nothing I can use. When I'm playing in my regular group, I play with my Storm wizard, which means I pretty much set the pace of the battle. It's just going to take as long as it takes for me to buff and slay. I find that I am only passing a lot when I am in a group with my Life wizard. I'm just killing time/amassing pips until the hammer is ready, then I top everyone off before we head into the next battle.

I think maybe some tutorials on how to set up your deck would be good.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
I usually don't pass unless i have too. If i don't have pips for the card i want to use i will double up on blades and traps for a later attack, or just use a wand spell. I also stack shields rather than passing so my opponent will have trouble getting a good attack through.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
I'm going to go beyond the scope of your question for a moment. What I don't like is when people are "passing" for whatever reason, but they don't click pass. they just let the countdown expire. Then they say why they "passed". I think if they waste the timer more than three times in a battle the system should treat it as fleeing.

Back to your question. My best reasons for clicking pass:
1. (over 90% of the time) Waiting for more pips.
2. Trashed cards, let's see what's in the next batch.
3. Stunned, why go through the motions and watch nothing happen?
4. Damage over time will win the round for me.
5. Another wizard has something better than what I was going to do.
6. (very rarely) Somebody stepped in just as my last enemy died. But another enemy stepped in, too. Let them take over the battle.

Survivor
May 11, 2011
I usually pass is when I don't get what I want
its usually a blade or healing spell. so I pass alot

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
When in battles, I try to keep my decks as small as possible. But, many many times all the wrong cards come up and I end up discarding some, passing, hoping the cards I need come up the next round.

Plus, I will discard to try and get something from my sideboard (like a cleanse charm), so I will pass then, too.

There are also times when you're looking at the cards that came up during a fight, that it might be all wand or spell attacks, or all Colossal, blades, or traps. Gotta discard some of those and pass, hoping you can get something else you can use for the next round.

Explorer
Mar 10, 2010
I have many reasons that i pass. It is usually:

1. I don't have the card i want
2. Looking for charms or traps to make greater damage
3. Drew un-castable treasure cards

I would say that 1 out of 6 turns is a pass. Usually instead of passing i like to "Pass in style" and put on any 0 pip spell. I still use pass a lot.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2013
AoS Sheldon on Jul 26, 2013 wrote:
Many Reasons, rofl.

1) Accidentally Dispelled the Card I was going to use.
2) Unwanted Cards in Hand
3) Timer ran out (25% of the time this is the reason)
4) Not enough Pips.
(and my favourite)
5) Accidentally pressing the Pass button then realising it's too late.
agreed :D

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I pass when waiting for pips or when I get cards I don't want and need to discard... like 6 wands and a pixie. :)

Survivor
Jun 26, 2012
Well professor Falmea, in my opinion you should check the background data again

Most of the people just pass about 25% or less of the times for all the reasons that all the people already said,but a few days ago i saw one 1v1 pvp match that both guys were passing and passing and passin and do nothing more. The big bains please make the math,i stand watching and talking for at least 20min and when i leave the fight didnt had finished yet, that give a lot of fake data. And the coment from the people with me was just "another one like this". That is something that you realy have to think about in ranked pvp and do something, like a draw or something.

Plese forgive me if i speak something wrong, but english is not my first language

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
I pass about 10% of the time. Usually, I'll have blades or shields that I use to build up pips and pass turns. Very rarely do I get a hand where every card is gray.
I'm a life class, so I heal, mostly. A lot of times, no one needs a heal, and so I either pass or blade myself.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2013
1) i am building pips
2) (we all do it) accidentally press pass
3) waiting for partner(s) to heal
4) the spell i want to cast is tc and not my school ( mine is )

Brittany DreamWalker Level 17