Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-26-13

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
I pass when nothing I can use comes up and I have discarded the cards I don't want or don't need. I prefer to get all buffed before ever making a shot, hoping for a quick kill Paige Willowleaf, level 85 grandma!

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Here are my top 3 reasons;

1. I need pips to use something
  2. Can't find an attack
  3. Someone is killing the enemy.

Alura Battleheart, lvl 90
Alura Rainheart, lvl 27
Brecken Storytalon, lvl 22
Savannah Darkbane, lvl 13
Rachel Dragonheart, lvl 11
Krestal Wintergrove, lvl 3

Survivor
Jul 29, 2011
In PvE I practically never pass, except when enchanting cards. I make Deadly Minotaurs for instance, for my death wizard. I used to join a battle against a Lost Soul in Unicorn Way with a deck set up for enchanting (Minotaurs in main deck, Mutate Minotaurs from the Archivist in sideboard), and would then pass 1-2 rounds while getting the cards enchanted. Then I would finish the fight with a wand hit and transfer the newly enchanted Deadly Minotaurs to my battle deck. During certain crowded times of day though, low-level wizards would join my battle without asking and would then be puzzled as to why I appeared to just be standing there and passing. So I started doing my card-enchanting in isolated boss areas instead, such as against Foulgaze.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I pass only rarely. Normally I play a very small deck designed to execute a planned attack in as few rounds as possible. If I have to pass it's generally because of a very unofrtunate draw (like all wand hits on round one) or getting hit with a pip steal spell (like mana burn or LoW) that prevents me from attacking when I want. Of course once in a while I'll have bad luck on power pips or someone will cast a fight ending spell before me so there's nothing to do.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
I usually pass in combat if i don't have enough pips to cast but when i fight myth enemies , its usually because they earthquake and i don't wanna cast a blade and have it taken away from their earthquake but generally i pass because i either don't have a spell to cast or my strategy to win involves me waiting for another spell before casting one i have

Cameron Titansword, Myth Lvl 90

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
I pass for

1. need pips
2.want me my good spells
3.need blades traps ect.
4. bored and people are doing one hit kills
5.when my freinds want to do a chain kill (all hit in same round)
6. afk
7. i wanna die

Alan wiz and lvl (0

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
I pass when I'm out of blades and traps, or a teammate is making the final kill.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I'll use my Theurgist's combat set up and play style to explain:

I rarely pass in any battle situation. My minimal team battle deck is set up with 4-to-6 damage spells 6 colossal, 4 sharpen, 2-4 small heals, 2 primordial, 2 fortify, 1 sanctuary, 1 cycle of life, 1 reshuffle, and a large selection of relevant shields and stun block to share with everyone in my group in my side board.

I pride myself on rarely passing, because it shows me that I always have something to contribute to the success of my team in group play. In solo battle, I set a goal of no more than 8-10 rounds to set up and defeat the enemy. I take 3-4 turns to set defenses, 3-4 turns to blade up, 1-2 rounds to defeat the monsters with Colossal Forest Lord. I rarely have to heal in solo battle. I rarely have to use all of my pips to heal others in team battles, and everyone is able to focus on boosting their magic to cast sweetly devastating spells.

Passing on the part of teammates often frustrates me, because I can see that either their decks aren't efficient or they don't have a cooperative style in team play. These situations are difficult when the monsters and bosses are challenging, and I feel obligated to shield my teammates at the expense of my own defenses. Even worse is the situation where my teammates are passing, I'm shielding them to keep their health up while they discard like mad, and I'm on the last 1/4 of my own health, especially if I'm taking damage for having healed a teammate.

Thanks for the chance to explore this important topic

Canny B Moone

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Canny B Moone on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
I'll use my Theurgist's combat set up and play style to explain:

I rarely pass in any battle situation. My minimal team battle deck is set up with 4-to-6 damage spells 6 colossal, 4 sharpen, 2-4 small heals, 2 primordial, 2 fortify, 1 sanctuary, 1 cycle of life, 1 reshuffle, and a large selection of relevant shields and stun block to share with everyone in my group in my side board.

I pride myself on rarely passing, because it shows me that I always have something to contribute to the success of my team in group play. In solo battle, I set a goal of no more than 8-10 rounds to set up and defeat the enemy. I take 3-4 turns to set defenses, 3-4 turns to blade up, 1-2 rounds to defeat the monsters with Colossal Forest Lord. I rarely have to heal in solo battle. I rarely have to use all of my pips to heal others in team battles, and everyone is able to focus on boosting their magic to cast sweetly devastating spells.

Passing on the part of teammates often frustrates me, because I can see that either their decks aren't efficient or they don't have a cooperative style in team play. These situations are difficult when the monsters and bosses are challenging, and I feel obligated to shield my teammates at the expense of my own defenses. Even worse is the situation where my teammates are passing, I'm shielding them to keep their health up while they discard like mad, and I'm on the last 1/4 of my own health, especially if I'm taking damage for having healed a teammate.

Thanks for the chance to explore this important topic

Canny B Moone
That is why our life wizards work well and compliment each other when we team up. Love questing with you.

Professor Falmea, I pass when:

1. waiting on pips
2. nothing in hand to use so dumping cards
3. looking for something in side board

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
DarkFeh on Jul 27, 2013 wrote:
Well professor Falmea, in my opinion you should check the background data again

Most of the people just pass about 25% or less of the times for all the reasons that all the people already said,but a few days ago i saw one 1v1 pvp match that both guys were passing and passing and passin and do nothing more. The big bains please make the math,i stand watching and talking for at least 20min and when i leave the fight didnt had finished yet, that give a lot of fake data. And the coment from the people with me was just "another one like this". That is something that you realy have to think about in ranked pvp and do something, like a draw or something.

Plese forgive me if i speak something wrong, but english is not my first language
Dear Professor,

I think that DarkFeh has pointed out the real problem on the passing in PvP, etc.
I have watched many, many PvP 1v1 battles, and the passing is just as he stated.
If a Jade player is sitting across from you, with 80 Plus resist, it is very hard to bring them down.
Many Jade players, now that the Reshuffle spell has changed, will just use their resist, 100% heal, etc,
to try to run you out of cards. Since it is very hard to do damage, you have to pass for the one
big hit, to try to bring down a Jade wearing PvP player. This generates a lot of the passing that
you are most likely seeing.
While DarkFeh states it is Fake data, it is really most likely the cause of the data you are seeing.

Also, I have seen this several times, two players are out of Reshuffles, and are just passing, as they
don't want to lose. I have seen this go on for hours, as neither has the cards left to attack and win, so
they just keep passing, hoping the other will flee.

Maybe the Reshuffle spell should be taken out of the decks, and into a special side deck.
(if you have learned the spell, or you could put TC in, etc).
You could have 10 reshuffles that would count down, and then you go on a time limit of 1 hour.
The other option would be to limit resist, so that players could be defeated in the PvP battle.
I'm sure there are many options, these are just what are on my mind at the monent.

Thanks for reading.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2012
Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Pretty much same as most of the people here

1. Save time - stunned, someone else is hitting, afterburn will kill enemy, etc.
2. Not enough pips, not enough mana
3. No or wrong playable cards in hand and sideboard
4. Getting ready to reshuffle and I am making a last-ditch effort to draw into something naturally before spending four pips and a turn; this includes situations against turtlers who are trying to cheese out a victory by running you out of cards. They expect you to reshuffle aggressively, wasting it.

This last is pretty rare, because I don't pvp much at all anymore, I can reshuffle aggressively vs. cipactli and she doesn't care.

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
mostly I pass because I might already have the same blade on me (myth blade), I might already have talos in battle with me, the guy is stun resistant (blinding light),I don't have a trap on me (cleanse ward), the guy doesn't have a shield on him (pierce). and of course because I don't have enough pips.
Justin firethief level 81

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Here's mine:

Because I only have cards that are grey and unusable, I need more pips
Because I accidentally removed the spell I was going to use
Because I don't want to be rude and kill the boss when another has a cooler spell to do it
Because I have a blade on and I don't want to waste it with a wand attack
Because I accidentally pressed pass
Because I was to lazy
Because I removed some cards to make room
Because I saw a DoT on the enemy and doing something else would consume time
Because I was told to do that by a friend who was a good strategist
Because I am waiting for the right moment in PvP
Because I have no good cards and I forgot to press the Draw button for a Treasure Card
Because I decided it would be the logical thing to do
Because I wanted to let my minion take the kill for once
Because I thought something else would happen
Because I wanted to see how long my wizard could go by passing
Because I wanted to use a Per-Pip spell and I have no 0 pip spells to use in the meantime
Because I slipped my finger and pressed it on accident
Because I wanted to try it ( well that was a long time ago)
Because I wanted to see if the mobs would also pass or fizzle
Because I was going to use a spell, but hesitated and decided to go for a higher pip spell

Well there's 20 reasons why I have pressed the Pass button.

Administrator
Very informative, Wizards! Thanks for all those reasons why you pass.

We'll be asking you something different shortly, so stay tuned! ::grin::

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea