Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Wizards - Why do Crafting?

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
What is the incentive for new wizards to learn crafting?

Neither the Wizard City or Krokotopia crafting vendors in the common areas offer anything superior to items in the bazaar. In stats or appearance. There appears to be no reason for new wizards to learn crafting.

- you can' craft items superior in stats or looks to what you can buy
- you save marginal money (gold) by crafting instead of buying
- crafting is defintely not a money (gold) making activety.
- you get a noobie crafting badge... yahoo!

I realize that some later worlds have some good items to craft. But no reasonable crafting for new wizards? Why is this? Why even introduce crafting in WC??? They should offer something that is worthwhile. At least a housing item or a good looking level 5 wand.

Something... anything...

Survivor
Mar 12, 2013
Crafting is pretty much a waste of time and money until you get to MS or DS. But look at it from the perspective of real life. If you want to make something (say, sewing a cloak) you can't instantly sew something incredible. You have to practice at it, and get good at it first right?

The same holds true for crafting in online games. It would be even more pointless if you could just choose to craft amazing items without ever practicing it first.

-Kyle Moonstalker, level 39 Thaumaturge
MooShu, Hametsu Village, adept crafter

Historian
May 06, 2009
RottenHeart on Apr 20, 2013 wrote:

Neither the Wizard City or Krokotopia crafting vendors in the common areas offer anything superior to items in the bazaar. In stats or appearance. There appears to be no reason for new wizards to learn crafting.

I realize that some later worlds have some good items to craft. But no reasonable crafting for new wizards? Why is this? Why even introduce crafting in WC??? They should offer something that is worthwhile. At least a housing item or a good looking level 5 wand.

Something... anything...
There are housing items sold by crafting vendors early on in Wizard City to Azteca, including Grizzlehiem. There is a cool plant plot from Ms. Tanglewood in Olde Town and many other stuff, Krokotopia has some cool Wizard City items. The list goes on! So you're wrong there. There are housing items worthwile to craft. As of the whole crafting thing, I think it would be better to ask: Why not? When you start crafting early on, you don't have to worry about it at level 60+. If you end up waiting, you'll be more frustrated to go all the way back to Wizard City to get these crafting quests and craft than to just get it out of the way. Also for new wizards, this shows that there is something else to do if you're not into PvP (I'm not) or want to take a break from the story. It doesn't have to yield much out of it in the beginning. It's just something else to do other than be all mad about being bored.

Now a question for you is: Does every little thing really need to have some kind of reward back? I'm not saying in those higher worlds there can't be some awesome reward, but why does everything we do can't just be an experience?

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
oceanpainting200,

Notice the OP clearly stated new wizards.

Wizard City
- I can craft wall sconce, broken planks, and a water bucket. hmmm.
- I can craft gear inferior to what I'm already wearing from the bazaar.

Krokotopia
- I can craft a stone fence and a lamp post. hmmm.

Marleybone
- Finally I can craft a manniquin. But it requires 80 ore and 30 fossils?? Perhaps another day.
- I can craft a wyrm footed bookshelf costing me 785 gold + reagents, or I can buy it at the bazaar for 628 gold.

oceanpainting200 asked:
"Now a question for you is: Does every little thing really need to have some kind of reward back? I'm not saying in those higher worlds there can't be some awesome reward, but why does everything we do can't just be an experience?"

Simple answer: When playing a game its for personal entertainment. I'm not going to waste my time doing activities that have no purpose or enjoyment value. In wizard101 why would I craft inferior gear? I'm certainly not going to waste my time crafting wooden planks and water buckets.

My first wizard missed crafting gear in Wintertusk because I had abandoned even considering crafting. I didn't even bother checking out what the vendors sold.

Later when you reach Zafaria crafting gear makes sense. Completing all the 1st arc crafting quests is much easier. Access to wealth and reagents. At this point I finally crafted a manniquin from Marleybone and portals from Celestia. At this point you are no longer a 'new wizard'. Of course I'm still not going to craft wooden planks and buckets from Wizard City...

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Personally I liked the crafting just as a side thing to do. At a certain point though it gets beyond what I want to put my time and energy into to complete it. Many can not do crafting because of the time involved as it progresses. I find having to look up to find out how to complete it and/or sitting in one spot and repeatedly change realms for something a bit much, it looses it's appeal after a while.

I just recently took the craft quest in Zafaria since I am not doing anything with my highest level wizard anyway but keeping a small garden. It does look doable but not really the fun I used to get out of crafting. I will have to look up the Avalon one before I bother and I already know the Azetca one involves farming so wouldn't do that even if I did continue questing there, which I am not.

I learned about the Wintertusk gear when my first wizard was 3/4 way though Zafaria and I had already completed the Seal of the Seven Seas, which back then was really hard for me. I have used this wizard to craft all the gear for my others since I got way tired of farming for the WW gear. I actually spend less time gathering together the ingredients for them then I do farming a dungeon over and over again.

In the end those who don't have the time for crafting or the money to P2W are left out of the main stream of the game and eventually have to just give it up.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
On my first wizard I have done every quest, just for the experience. After all, I can't know whether I will like something or not until I try it. On my subsequent wizards, I don't do optional quests I now know I don't like, but crafting isn't one of them. I find it, and gardening, a nice diversion from battling enemies. Maybe it's because I like crafting and gardening in real life.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2012

Something... anything...

The only incentive is that you have to learn the early stuff to be able to craft the good stuff later, that's pretty much it IMO.

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
So true lol...
Though I kinda wished I had started earlier, now that I want to craft deer knight T_T