Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion for a new fishing spell

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
Right now I am quite frustrated with fishing because I am trying to have at least one of every fish in one of my houses. I am down to needing only 2 more epic fish and 8 seasonal fish, The seasonal fish won't be too bad as I just have to wait for the right season to catch them.

However, the final two epic fish I need are the Red Grunion and the Musushi. Both fish are rank 3 and both are caught in areas where there are other fish of the same school in the pond as well. I have lost track of the time I have spent trying to get these two fish. Not to mention the rather large amount of crowns I've used replenishing my energy over and over trying to catch these two. Crowns aren't cheap.

This leads to my suggestion for a new fishing spell to help save on energy if nothing else. Actually I have two choices for the new spell.

The first one is based on the idea that there is a spell to show all the rank 1 fish, how about one that shows all the Rank 3 fish. The problem with this is, it will be asked why not have one that shows the rank 2 fish as well.

So my other suggestion is based on the Winnow spells. There is a winnow spell for all the schools, so how about a Winnow spell to scare away all the lower ranked fish and leave just the rank 3 ones behind? I don't think this would affect the game in any negative way but it would save major time and crowns, especially when fishing for the epic (rank 3) fish that are surrounded by fish of the same school.

Instead of wasting tons of energy fishing out a pond only to have to summon new fish and do it all over again and again etc. This gets extremely frustrating and it very time consuming. I understand that the epic fish are meant to be difficult to catch, but from my point of view these two are near impossible, unless you have unlimited time and unlimited funds for crowns.

The spawn rates for the epic fish would not have to be changed, as the winnow spell or show rank 3 spell, would only work if there was one.

What does everyone think?

Eliais: level 110 , level 90 , level 55

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Errol Flynn was my bane.

I think these kinds of spells are probably in the works. KI has already shown that they understand the importance of utility spells with the many that were launched when lava fishing came to Dragonspyre, so personally I think it's not a matter of if, but when these spells are coming.

Utility spells with reasonable energy costs are going to be critical for keeping people fishing. Increasing rank, and the energy costs for more powerful lures will quickly turn people off. Nobody's going to want to keep fishing if lures end up costing you 10 energy per catch. You'll be able to catch only a few fish per day before you're done. Unless you're buying energy refills, but I can't see a lot of people willing to do that when they get so little in return for the investment.

I'm one of the people who fishes (or trains pets, or gardens) until the energy globe is empty, and then doesn't do it again until it has naturally replenished. I'd probably still fish, but even now some of the utility spells drain a lot of energy leaving little for fishing. I don't even want to imagine a scenario where between utility spell and lure energy costs I could potentially have a chance of catching only 1 or 2 fish per day.

In the meantime, tip for Red Grunion; it swims so slow it almost looks like it's sitting still. Musushi is the exact opposite, swims faster than the other fish. So if you winnow the school, and reveal Rank 1 fish, you only need to closely examine the remaining fish that weren't lit up for the above characteristics. It could save you a little bit of time, if for no other reason than you can refresh the pond faster when you realize what you're looking for isn't there. Like I say, Errol Flynn took me so long. These other ones were a piece of cake compared to that.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
Well after re-reading my thread it really looks like it is coming from a selfish place and if I am being honest with myself it kind of is. But there is also a good argument for my suggestions.

Every other epic fish, save the two mentioned in my post above, has a method of identifying them, letting the person fishing know they at least have a chance of catching them. However, with the Red Grunion and the Musushi there is no way of knowing if one has spawned, other than catching all the fish after banishing all other fish not of that school.

I'm sure I am not the only player having trouble catching these two fish.

Note: I am also open to suggestions on ways to identify these two fish so I can finish my collection. If you have some good ideas feel free to post them too.