Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reliance and Community are not the same thing

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
As a Storm wizard, I have to rely on other people to beat bosses quickly. If I hadn't had help, I would still be lagging behind everyone in Krokotopia or Marleybone - and I'm in Celestia. Storms are supposed to be powerful, but if they can only be powerful in a team or in a mob fight, they're not powerful. All schools should be able to solo, and not rely on other schools. I know Wizard101 wants to encourage people to work together, but if I always have to rely on people for bosses I actually start hating the reliance and associating that hate with the person helping me. So, while you should encourage community, you shouldn't force it.

There are 3 solutions I have in mind.

1. Make Storm's health higher and make the health in Storm's gear give more (Don't kill me for saying this Ice wizards, haha).

2. Whenever you defeat a boss, you get health added to you permanently - maybe 100 health. This can allow anyone to become a tank if they farm enough with the initial health disadvantage.

3. Dungeons and bosses can be scaled according too: your element, and how many people go in. It can still be hard, but it doesn't have to be nearly impossible where it can take a week to complete one boss battle (yes, this happened for me once when nobody would help me).

Also, reliance is bad, because sometimes nobody helps you. I guarantee you, people will work together more if they can solo more, because they can progress faster, and therefore have more time to help people, because a lot of the times nobody helps me because they don't have time to help me.

Thoughts, anyone?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
I can see how the health farming idea can be used by visiting bosses like the Harvest Lord. So here's an idea: Lower level worlds give less health.

For example upon completion of bosses and dungeons:

Wizard City +100 permanent health

Krokotopia + 200 permanent health

Grizzleheim + 200 permanent health

Wysteria + 200 permanent health

Marleybone + 300 permanent health

Wintertusk + 300 permanent health

Etc...

That above is just an example - it might not even be by 100. It could be by 50s.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Also, about the scaling idea. When you first fight a boss or join a dungeon, it is scaled to the amount of people and their elements. After you finish it, you can scale it yourself. This allows dungeons and bosses to be easy and quick, therefore making Wizard101 more farmer-friendly like I addressed in a previous topic. The ability to scale completed dungeons and bosses has many advantages.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Fable Finder on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
As a Storm wizard, I have to rely on other people to beat bosses quickly. If I hadn't had help, I would still be lagging behind everyone in Krokotopia or Marleybone - and I'm in Celestia. Storms are supposed to be powerful, but if they can only be powerful in a team or in a mob fight, they're not powerful. All schools should be able to solo, and not rely on other schools. I know Wizard101 wants to encourage people to work together, but if I always have to rely on people for bosses I actually start hating the reliance and associating that hate with the person helping me. So, while you should encourage community, you shouldn't force it.

1. Make Storm's health higher and make the health in Storm's gear give more (Don't kill me for saying this Ice wizards, haha).

2. Whenever you defeat a boss, you get health added to you permanently - maybe 100 health. This can allow anyone to become a tank if they farm enough with the initial health disadvantage.

3. Dungeons and bosses can be scaled according too: your element, and how many people go in. It can still be hard, but it doesn't have to be nearly impossible where it can take a week to complete one boss battle (yes, this happened for me once when nobody would help me).

Also, reliance is bad, because sometimes nobody helps you. I guarantee you, people will work together more if they can solo more, because they can progress faster, and therefore have more time to help people, because a lot of the times nobody helps me because they don't have time to help me.

Thoughts, anyone?
In a word, no. This game isn't designed to be a 100% solo adventure. Storm is the hammer. The powerhouse. It pays for the damage boosts it gets naturally with lower health.

Each school has it's own benifits and disadvantages. The trick is 1. partnering with people that know how to play their school correctly. 2. Playing your own school correctly.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
This thread isn't me asking for more health, it's me asking for a way to solo. I don't want to rely on people. Also what I've noticed is I have to heal myself too much that I never have time to attack. This makes Storm utterly useless a lot of times. And people don't help me because of it. I have seen other elements get way far ahead because they could solo, and I'm stuck lagging behind because I have to rely on people for every single boss.

Community Leader
Part of the MMO experience is working with others. That said, it's not for everyone. But I do know some Storm wizards who essentially solo everything. I might recommend some henchmen or elixirs if you would rather not recruit the help of others. Groups like Mercenaries For Hire are always available and will assist you with any dungeon for free.

I am not opposed to giving Storm wizards better options, but we cannot overpower the class in the process. Elemental schools are already at an advantage in the sense that one of their biggest disadvantages is supposed to be lack of accuracy, and yet, with gear, they get more accuracy than any other schools as they progress on top of higher damage amounts and higher base damage on spells.

The primary trick with Storm (having played one) is to be aggressive and take down your enemies fast. Storm wizards are fragile, so that often means wisp gathering between battles. If this isn't your kind of play style, I recommend a different school.

Best of luck to you!

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Sometimes by the time I have pips (and I get a lot of power pips), I need to heal, and sometimes I use supercharge, then I need to heal. Even when I don't, I run out of health so fast, I don't have a lot of time to attack. This makes battles really long, or really short, depending if I can heal, with me dying most of the time. I don't really think Storm was supposed to be this way. Also, I have in the 2000s in health, but people have told I have bad gear, yet after shopping in the bazaar, farming, and using dropped items, it's still bad apparently.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010

Thoughts, anyone?
Storm honestly does need more health not because of PVE ( I could care less about that) but because of pvp, they are seriously lacking good health. My friend has 4.5 k health as a storm. An ffa can do 3k with an open shot and 1 trap. Honestly, they don't need permanent health boosts, they just need more base health at exalted or increased darkmoor gear health.

Lvl 110
Lvl 57
Lvl 25

Defender
Nov 14, 2015

Thoughts, anyone?
i had a storm and i can say that i could quest past the monquistan ship in azteca solo, it's jsut a matter of how you play, train satyr, use a life mastery or not, the go on sale every year as a "green sale" which makes them 5% off along with other items int eh crown shop when saint patty's day hits, you can also win them from waterworks or whatever, but even so without one, if you really need the heal it helps, or get a pet that heals, maybe use the healing current spell, there are plenty of options for healing, also with storm all you really need is a booster, a blade and maybe elementals and you're ready to kill almost anything, sure bosses can take a while but just bring some shields, they make a way for everyone to solo, just learn how to, mix it up, try new styles of playing, it helps allot if you try it in pvp, if you can beat the other player 10 levels above you you can beat the boss lol

Survivor
Jan 13, 2015
Fable Finder on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
This thread isn't me asking for more health, it's me asking for a way to solo. I don't want to rely on people. Also what I've noticed is I have to heal myself too much that I never have time to attack. This makes Storm utterly useless a lot of times. And people don't help me because of it. I have seen other elements get way far ahead because they could solo, and I'm stuck lagging behind because I have to rely on people for every single boss.
changing the entire game design so you personally can solo the game isn't going to happen. I do have some suggestions:

Do a lot of farming to get the best equipment and also, slowly, gain extra xp from the battles.
Do every single side quest, again for the xp.
Do every dungeon twice, to get the most xp.
That'll put you as buff as possible and as high a level as possible for any fights.

Then, in difficult boss battles, buy the 50 crown draconian henchman. He heals. He very rarely might cast a centaur or seraph, but mostly he heals. In high level battles, buy 2 copies of him.

You can pretty much solo the game through Azteca doing that.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Ryan DayBreaker on Mar 25, 2016 wrote:
i had a storm and i can say that i could quest past the monquistan ship in azteca solo, it's jsut a matter of how you play, train satyr, use a life mastery or not, the go on sale every year as a "green sale" which makes them 5% off along with other items int eh crown shop when saint patty's day hits, you can also win them from waterworks or whatever, but even so without one, if you really need the heal it helps, or get a pet that heals, maybe use the healing current spell, there are plenty of options for healing, also with storm all you really need is a booster, a blade and maybe elementals and you're ready to kill almost anything, sure bosses can take a while but just bring some shields, they make a way for everyone to solo, just learn how to, mix it up, try new styles of playing, it helps allot if you try it in pvp, if you can beat the other player 10 levels above you you can beat the boss lol
I have plenty of heals, that's not a problem, the problem is how many pips the heals have to use up, and by the time I regain them, I need to heal again. Also sometimes when I use shields, I don't have enough attacks or heals in my deck.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Geoffery23 on Mar 25, 2016 wrote:
changing the entire game design so you personally can solo the game isn't going to happen. I do have some suggestions:

Do a lot of farming to get the best equipment and also, slowly, gain extra xp from the battles.
That'll put you as buff as possible and as high a level as possible for any fights.

Then, in difficult boss battles, buy the 50 crown draconian henchman. He heals. He very rarely might cast a centaur or seraph, but mostly he heals. In high level battles, buy 2 copies of him.

It's not the entire game, while it might be some major changes, it's not the entire game. The easiest option is to give more health, because I saw a fire wizard in Dragonspyre once, with 1000 more health than me at the same level and their gear didn't give a lot of health. Fire has lots of health when they're supposed to have the second least. Storm definitely needs more health if all the other updates are too major.

You can buy 2 henchmen?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015

Also farming is boring and takes entire days to weeks to get what you want. By that time you might not even need the gear anymore. That's why there should definitely be a solution to this, like the Farming District or scaling.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2015
Also, about the scaling idea. When you first fight a boss or join a dungeon, it is scaled to the amount of people and their elements. After you finish it, you can scale it yourself. This allows dungeons and bosses to be easy and quick, therefore making Wizard101 more farmer-friendly like I addressed in a previous topic. The ability to scale completed dungeons and bosses has many advantages.
Great idea!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015

Alsoo the problem with henchmen is that I'd have to buy some for every boss battle.

Sooo I'm kinda back at square one here.

(Funny how this has become a discussion thread as well).

I can post my gear here when I am on the computer that works for wizard101 which will be later today to see how bad it really is. That's a start at least...?

Because honestly while these are good temporary solutions I can't think of much else to do..