Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The current state of PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
I would just like to hear everybody's opinion on the current state of PvP and what can be done to improve it.

Personally I just think it is out of hand 30/40% pierce, insane amounts of damage and Shadow Enhanced spells. It just isn't fun anymore, everything is luck based now. No skill is needed anymore, I think a good thing to start with changing is making pierce gems no PvP, Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP and The Malistaire gear no PvP, I know pretty much everyone will disagree with making Malistaire gear no PvP but I just think the amount of pierce and damage it gives takes away a lot of fun from PvP. I miss the days when playing slowly and heal boost was a huge factor in most of max level PvP.

Personally I think the Waterworks era was the greatest era of all time in this game, I would love to see a similar era once again. Fair amounts of damage and a fair amount of resist, nothing was out of control as much as it is now and it took a decent amount of skill to be one of the best at max level. I miss running Balance mastery, Stellar and Cosmic on my Myth and Fire.

Also I believe bad juju should be no cloak, so the old reshuffle could be brought back. I know none of these ideas will ever be implemented and i'm just wasting my time writing this, but oh well.

What do you guys think is going to happen with PvP? Will the pierce and damage on gear just keep getting higher and higher with each update until resist counts for nothing? Will Critical get higher and Block get lower? Or will they do something about it? Will they make Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP? Will they make gear that has a good ratio between pierce damage and block? I hope so.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
Tyler Dream on Sep 6, 2015 wrote:
I would just like to hear everybody's opinion on the current state of PvP and what can be done to improve it.

Personally I just think it is out of hand 30/40% pierce, insane amounts of damage and Shadow Enhanced spells. It just isn't fun anymore, everything is luck based now. No skill is needed anymore, I think a good thing to start with changing is making pierce gems no PvP, Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP and The Malistaire gear no PvP, I know pretty much everyone will disagree with making Malistaire gear no PvP but I just think the amount of pierce and damage it gives takes away a lot of fun from PvP. I miss the days when playing slowly and heal boost was a huge factor in most of max level PvP.

Personally I think the Waterworks era was the greatest era of all time in this game, I would love to see a similar era once again. Fair amounts of damage and a fair amount of resist, nothing was out of control as much as it is now and it took a decent amount of skill to be one of the best at max level. I miss running Balance mastery, Stellar and Cosmic on my Myth and Fire.

Also I believe bad juju should be no cloak, so the old reshuffle could be brought back. I know none of these ideas will ever be implemented and i'm just wasting my time writing this, but oh well.

What do you guys think is going to happen with PvP? Will the pierce and damage on gear just keep getting higher and higher with each update until resist counts for nothing? Will Critical get higher and Block get lower? Or will they do something about it? Will they make Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP? Will they make gear that has a good ratio between pierce damage and block? I hope so.
Pierce these days has gotten out of control. I agree with making the jewels No PvP- but you have to think about HOW they would do that. It may be a bit hard to say certain jewels are No PvP while others are. Ways to level the pierce would be adding more resist. That, I am aware, won't be a popular idea but you can at least take it into consideration. The majority of players complaining about boosts in resist are the Grandmaster Warlords or other low lvls trying to get a rank by fighting high lvls. What I say to that is this: "If you mess with the big boys, you mess with the big consequences." I think it's about time PvPers learned that.

Malistaire gear has insane damage and pierce as well, which is why I think either; nerf it, or boost defensive stats. If we want the game to continue, we need to make it better and bigger. The reason we haven't done that yet is because of the warlords. Once again, "If you mess with the big boys, you mess with the big consequences."

I think that as long as we keep keeping a mind of PvP and fearing boosts and nerfs, PvP and possibly the game will die. People fear change more than anything, so we wizards must face that challenge unafraid to make the game more fun for everyone.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
I personally believe the current state of PVP is fine. I have managed to get to Warlord on all my exalted characters without too much trouble, (I have every school except Death). I think the pierce and damage is needed considering people have high resist and much higher health with the new gear available. Even jewels can now give 380 more health). We all know what happens when people have too much resist and health and not enough damage lol.

I don't consider the way I duel to be luck based, but it's actually very skill based. I guess some people are deciding to just spam hoping their attacks hit a lucky number, but to me that's such a bad strategy lol.

I think critical will keep getting higher and higher, but so will block. Block will most likely never catch up to critical, otherwise the system would be useless. Although people's critical ratings will continue going up, so will the penalty. Right now you need 535 critical rating in order to have a 100% chance of casting a critical. It might turn into 550 when we are level 110, for example.

I try to make all my gear as balanced as possible during PVP. Right now, my storm wizard has 40 pierce, 130 damage, 50 universal resist, and (I forget the exact number) 320ish block. My critical rating is 456, and since I always do a Conviction treasure card first round, my block goes up in the 400 range. I don't consider focusing on raising just one stat to be good, as it leaves a vulnerability.

Lastly, I doubt Kingsisle will ban Shadow magic in PVP. With Khrysalis Part 2 and Castle Darkmoor focusing more heavily on Shadow magic, it seems it's their solution in making the game "challenging" and solving the hour long jade PVP matches problem.

All in all, the meta appears very balanced (to me), as each school has a chance of rising up, not just one. I've had fun doing ranked matches and tournaments on my Myth these past few days, considering the Balance school is no longer as strong and mighty as it used to be.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
FusionSun on Sep 7, 2015 wrote:
I personally believe the current state of PVP is fine. I have managed to get to Warlord on all my exalted characters without too much trouble, (I have every school except Death). I think the pierce and damage is needed considering people have high resist and much higher health with the new gear available. Even jewels can now give 380 more health). We all know what happens when people have too much resist and health and not enough damage lol.

I don't consider the way I duel to be luck based, but it's actually very skill based. I guess some people are deciding to just spam hoping their attacks hit a lucky number, but to me that's such a bad strategy lol.

I think critical will keep getting higher and higher, but so will block. Block will most likely never catch up to critical, otherwise the system would be useless. Although people's critical ratings will continue going up, so will the penalty. Right now you need 535 critical rating in order to have a 100% chance of casting a critical. It might turn into 550 when we are level 110, for example.

I try to make all my gear as balanced as possible during PVP. Right now, my storm wizard has 40 pierce, 130 damage, 50 universal resist, and (I forget the exact number) 320ish block. My critical rating is 456, and since I always do a Conviction treasure card first round, my block goes up in the 400 range. I don't consider focusing on raising just one stat to be good, as it leaves a vulnerability.

Lastly, I doubt Kingsisle will ban Shadow magic in PVP. With Khrysalis Part 2 and Castle Darkmoor focusing more heavily on Shadow magic, it seems it's their solution in making the game "challenging" and solving the hour long jade PVP matches problem.

All in all, the meta appears very balanced (to me), as each school has a chance of rising up, not just one. I've had fun doing ranked matches and tournaments on my Myth these past few days, considering the Balance school is no longer as strong and mighty as it used to be.
It is still not hard to get warlord, but it isn't fine at all. a 5 pip spell that can one hit anyone, 40 pierce and over 100 damage, how is that fine? It takes no skill to play with those stats. Fire has always been a tier 1 school at max level but now they have too much of an advantage over most schools. Same with life, the only school that can heal effectively, making it unbalanced. Myth was once one of the most feared schools in the arena at max level now it is nothing which is pretty upsetting as it has been one of my favorite schools since day one. Their shadow spell is not on par with others, they don't have the damage to keep up in this meta, and minions are useless now unless it's a Golem for Dimension shift against a Juju spammer. Honestly I'm not sure how you can say it's fair and skill based, especially being a Storm with 40 pierce.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
Shadow 343 on Sep 7, 2015 wrote:
Pierce these days has gotten out of control. I agree with making the jewels No PvP- but you have to think about HOW they would do that. It may be a bit hard to say certain jewels are No PvP while others are. Ways to level the pierce would be adding more resist. That, I am aware, won't be a popular idea but you can at least take it into consideration. The majority of players complaining about boosts in resist are the Grandmaster Warlords or other low lvls trying to get a rank by fighting high lvls. What I say to that is this: "If you mess with the big boys, you mess with the big consequences." I think it's about time PvPers learned that.

Malistaire gear has insane damage and pierce as well, which is why I think either; nerf it, or boost defensive stats. If we want the game to continue, we need to make it better and bigger. The reason we haven't done that yet is because of the warlords. Once again, "If you mess with the big boys, you mess with the big consequences."

I think that as long as we keep keeping a mind of PvP and fearing boosts and nerfs, PvP and possibly the game will die. People fear change more than anything, so we wizards must face that challenge unafraid to make the game more fun for everyone.
I don't even think it should be possible for Legendary, Grandmasters and below for to face exalted's.

Making the resist higher isn't good enough, they just need to make the pierce significantly lower then make a resist limit for PvP.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Tyler Dream on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
It is still not hard to get warlord, but it isn't fine at all. a 5 pip spell that can one hit anyone, 40 pierce and over 100 damage, how is that fine? It takes no skill to play with those stats. Fire has always been a tier 1 school at max level but now they have too much of an advantage over most schools. Same with life, the only school that can heal effectively, making it unbalanced. Myth was once one of the most feared schools in the arena at max level now it is nothing which is pretty upsetting as it has been one of my favorite schools since day one. Their shadow spell is not on par with others, they don't have the damage to keep up in this meta, and minions are useless now unless it's a Golem for Dimension shift against a Juju spammer. Honestly I'm not sure how you can say it's fair and skill based, especially being a Storm with 40 pierce.
Storm has the least amount of health, and since people usually spam shields and dispels, I do need some type of skill in order to survive. My myth had no trouble keeping up in this meta, and I consider him one of my strongest characters. I have 115 damage on him, and I usually have more damage than other schools I see in the arena. (except storm)

Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
FusionSun on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Storm has the least amount of health, and since people usually spam shields and dispels, I do need some type of skill in order to survive. My myth had no trouble keeping up in this meta, and I consider him one of my strongest characters. I have 115 damage on him, and I usually have more damage than other schools I see in the arena. (except storm)
When I said damage I mean the base damage the spells do not the damage you can get from gear, don't get my wrong they have some of the best PvP spells in the game their King Artorius is amazing, but by the time you've bladed up and got your bubble up you've been OHKOd by a Shadow Enhanced spell. Myth are more suited to a slower meta, they revolve around stuns and minions. Minions are pretty much useless and everybody carries stun blocks and convictions, and PvP is too fast now to have time to get rid of their stun blocks to make a decent combo. It's extremely rare now to see a Myth over the rank of 1500. May I ask what exact rank your Myth was before the reset and what it is right now?

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Tyler Dream on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
When I said damage I mean the base damage the spells do not the damage you can get from gear, don't get my wrong they have some of the best PvP spells in the game their King Artorius is amazing, but by the time you've bladed up and got your bubble up you've been OHKOd by a Shadow Enhanced spell. Myth are more suited to a slower meta, they revolve around stuns and minions. Minions are pretty much useless and everybody carries stun blocks and convictions, and PvP is too fast now to have time to get rid of their stun blocks to make a decent combo. It's extremely rare now to see a Myth over the rank of 1500. May I ask what exact rank your Myth was before the reset and what it is right now?
You'd be surprised how many people don't do any types of stun block, or who forget to replace the conviction lol.
It's actually very few o: (My Medusa also once stunned a guy with a Conviction on; it was a very shocking moment lol.)

I don't use King Artorius (I never really saw the usefulness of it, as I like to do my damage directly and at once, not over time), just Medusa, Mystic Colossus, and White Rat Magician Treasure Cards (I very rarely use Keeper of the Flame, but I keep it in my deck nonetheless). While my Medusa stunning guarantees a win for me, I can manage to still win if my opponent did a Stun Block or Conviction. (Though it is harder )

Before the reset, my rank was 912. (I don't see the point in continuing since I just want the Badge lol.) Right now, it's 564, with my rating thing being 4 wins - 0 losses. I just wanted to get him to Sergeant so I can learn Conviction (Thanks to the Free Training Points Reset Member Benefit ) instead of using the Treasure Cards while farming bosses.

I don't ever use minions. I once tried to use a minion and a Siphon Health card on it as a healing source, but that totally failed when I tried it out in practice matches lol. I only use blades if I used a Medusa the round before, so I can prepare for my Colossus. I've never been killed in one shot by a Shadow Enhanced spell either... I always block those attacks if the opponent did a critical. (I always have a Conviction up.)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
FusionSun on Sep 7, 2015 wrote:

The current state that PvP is in isn't fine, it's an entirely luck based system with the fact that some schools are entirely better than others in every possible way, and one mistake ends a match even if it's minor. I too have a large count of Warlords all reaching 25-0 at pretty much every level, except for Myth at Exalted. Getting Warlord is easy, it just takes 25 wins over losses, but luck can drive good players out of achieving Warlord.

The pierce is over the amount of resist that people have, that isn't needed, especially since in metas that we played in 5-6 years ago, resist numbers were around 42% and damage would be hovering at 50-70%, with all matches ending in a fairly okay amount of time.

Every Exalted player plays in a luck based manner. You may use Conviction, but anybody who has high critical can still surpass that, and any good Balance can easily Supernova and get multiple criticals on you, or you could critical on somebody and then you're living off luck as well.

The penalty for critical does not go up, that is an outdated system that Wizard101 has used before the recent update for 3rd age PvP. Now it will always stay the same for all levels, hence the reason for a level 60 wand giving the same critical and block percentages at level 60 and 100.

Your Storm, just like every Exalted wizard, is valid proof of why PvP is broken. 130 damage, 50 resist. Already you're dealing more than base card damage. Then what comes next? Critical. You can deal 2 times the card damage. But never forget, Storms also have 52% armor pierce. Now you're playing in a meta where you will deal 2.5 or 4.5x the normal card damage. And where is heal boost sitting at?

The only people that ever complained about Jades were the least experienced players I have ever read about on the message board. Apparently it's illegal to use Doom and Gloom against a Jade so they just go complaining that Jades are impossible to beat here on the boards.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
Tyler Dream on Sep 6, 2015 wrote:

If they made jewels no PvP, Malistaire gear no PvP, Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP, Shrike no PvP and Bad Juju no cloak PvP would be fun and take some skill once again, but they wont do any of these things. I don't think they realize how out of hand PvP is and they don't care.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
FusionSun on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
because using armor pierce & critical because lie those spell and reason why ice so, patient class don't spam only use tower shield to spam because know they get dispel spam! that don't mastery amulet (know what school use mastery amulet) cast big spell (not train for that school)

first time came wizard101 (ice wizard use to use storm spell in wizard101) because wanna more damage because couldn't get good heal (couldn't heal people spam dispel) reason why made immunity for people can't not heal because have to deserves there pvp warlord badge (never got) least can't next world (new level set jade gear)

wouldn't care about armor pierce because (everybody be using terror hoard pack wand) would choice damage then pierce (armor pierce can't break resist) people shield!

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
Tyler Lotusblood on Sep 10, 2015 wrote:
If they made jewels no PvP, Malistaire gear no PvP, Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP, Shrike no PvP and Bad Juju no cloak PvP would be fun and take some skill once again, but they wont do any of these things. I don't think they realize how out of hand PvP is and they don't care.
no (take those thing) cast more trouble make people spam dispel?

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
they ruined reshuffle because of dispel spamming not cause of juju the dispells are what shoulda got one time uses on them reshuffle did nothing to deserve it.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Rikudo Sennin on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
they ruined reshuffle because of dispel spamming not cause of juju the dispells are what shoulda got one time uses on them reshuffle did nothing to deserve it.
i agree. Dispels should be made x1. making Reshuffle x1 has done nothing to make matches shorter. A Jade Juju can stay around for hours.