Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

dual-boxers in pvp: still a thing or no?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i just thought of this after (mis)reading another post; and, since i only ever 1v1 (rather, i did, as i haven't pvp'ed at all in the third age), i was wondering if any fixes have been implemented yet for an exploit involving people who run 2 accounts at the same time.

(now, don't get me wrong~ i dual-box all the time in pve, and questing with myself comes in quite handy when no one is online or i have to run vault of ice for what feels like the billionth trillionth time on one of my noobs. but i digress.)

for some reason, i remember there being a time when these dual-boxers could have 1 character in the duel and another in the audience; spectators (people watching the duel) could see the spells before they were cast and therefore their character in the duel could counter their opponent's every move, resulting in a very unfair advantage.

if this is still a thing, it is a system exploit and should be considered cheating. am i crazy, or have there been updates made to prevent this?

-von

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Dr Von on Aug 3, 2015 wrote:
i just thought of this after (mis)reading another post; and, since i only ever 1v1 (rather, i did, as i haven't pvp'ed at all in the third age), i was wondering if any fixes have been implemented yet for an exploit involving people who run 2 accounts at the same time.

(now, don't get me wrong~ i dual-box all the time in pve, and questing with myself comes in quite handy when no one is online or i have to run vault of ice for what feels like the billionth trillionth time on one of my noobs. but i digress.)

for some reason, i remember there being a time when these dual-boxers could have 1 character in the duel and another in the audience; spectators (people watching the duel) could see the spells before they were cast and therefore their character in the duel could counter their opponent's every move, resulting in a very unfair advantage.

if this is still a thing, it is a system exploit and should be considered cheating. am i crazy, or have there been updates made to prevent this?

-von
Spectators can no longer see what spell is being cast/has been cast before the round is activated.

People still dual box to put themselves in the crowd, but there's little to no advantage. They cant see what their opponent has cast before casting their own spell.

They may know whether they live or die sooner; I think Spectators see the animations slightly earlier than the players, but there's no exploit allowing them to cast based on their opponent's spell choice.

EDIT: I believe that the largest current benefit is that the spectator character can go to he kiosk and see school and rank of the opponent.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
PaigeGoldenspear on Aug 4, 2015 wrote:
Spectators can no longer see what spell is being cast/has been cast before the round is activated.

People still dual box to put themselves in the crowd, but there's little to no advantage. They cant see what their opponent has cast before casting their own spell.

They may know whether they live or die sooner; I think Spectators see the animations slightly earlier than the players, but there's no exploit allowing them to cast based on their opponent's spell choice.

EDIT: I believe that the largest current benefit is that the spectator character can go to he kiosk and see school and rank of the opponent.
before the ranks were reset, i ran into a few different people who admitted to watching the queue~ my opponents were prepared not for just any pyromancer, but for me specifically, and i lost my commander rank as a result.

good to know that pvp now is just as broken as it was during the first two ages and that, effectively, nothing has changed.

-von

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Dr Von on Aug 5, 2015 wrote:
before the ranks were reset, i ran into a few different people who admitted to watching the queue~ my opponents were prepared not for just any pyromancer, but for me specifically, and i lost my commander rank as a result.

good to know that pvp now is just as broken as it was during the first two ages and that, effectively, nothing has changed.

-von
If I'm not mistaken, the queue doesn't show the match until after it's started, so even with spectator characters nobosybcan set for a school etc...

If dual boxing didn't happen, people would just have their friends report the info from the kiosk.