Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Wizard incoming!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 24, 2014
Hello, I just recently purchased this game and was wondering if someone could give me tips on either school choice and or anything I should know. Or maybe you were thinking of making a new character and want to run through the game with me. Doesn't matter.

~Thank you

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
ok here we go. fire a good attacking school and still has lots of good health.
poor health but high damage
low damage but high health and resist
the abilty to summon minions but these minions are not particuarly useful and not much all hit spells medium health
The abilty to heal your friends and yourself basically a school of healing but has some good attacks still a good solo school in my opinion. high health
Good Solo school the heal back from your attacks is good and you get a lot of health from just attacking wont really have to heal your self if you get a good heal back attack on your side. had lots of fun playing on my death wizard since i like soloing.
i dont really recomend this school at all escpially for beginners high health but a main support school and low damage if you think you would be a pvp school this is the one basically the balance of all schools but has no prism or opposite low damage increasing blades. so yeah dont recomend for beginners.

Hope this helps

Austin Firecaster lvl 100

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
skip the quiz. Pick a school based on how you want to play. You may want to try some different ones.

Don't spend crowns on packs or on gear at first because you will outgrow it fast. One exception is the wand that gives a starting pip. That is good to have and can be passed on when you make a new wiz.

Start gardening when you get the quest. It's a good way to get pet snacks, gold, and reagents for crafting.

Make some friends as you go. Beware people who ask for gifts.

Check out the guides on W101 central and Duelist101. They have a lot of information that will help you.

Have lots of fun :D

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
Have you chosen your school yet? If you haven't, then it's based on your quiz results when you have done the quiz(when you first enter and creating your character). Every school's unique, and I don't think that any school's bad. Myth school has a lot of cool spells,since I'm in myth school(like the spell Medusa). I would say that life school has a lot of healing spells. Storm school spells has a lot of fizzles, but powerful. Balance school is probably the school I'd go for. I'm sure you would like the school you get! I hope this helped.

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
My way to tell a beginner to play:
Do Not Skip The Quiz
The quiz'll tell you how your way of thinking aligns to the in-game schools. This will help with strategy and such and help you along the game.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
First, know that (especially that when you reach the higher levels) a bad school does not exist. I have an , level 100 (max) and love it. I have a , level 73, and love playing him. While at friends', I've played the others. I love them all. It really does depend on your playstyle. If you love to manipulate the opponent, and build up before you use a massive hit, choose . If you like to be certain you're going to stay alive, even if it means the battle will take longer, go with . If turning the tide of battle in a single turn if your thing, pick . If you enjoy helping others, pick . If you like being a glass cannon, dealing massive damage spikes but being on edge about your own life, go with . If you never want to be scared that you might die, but you won't be able to hit as hard, go with . If you want to load damage, one spell after another, then . Hope this helps!

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
Venrukii on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
Hello, I just recently purchased this game and was wondering if someone could give me tips on either school choice and or anything I should know. Or maybe you were thinking of making a new character and want to run through the game with me. Doesn't matter.

~Thank you
The school that's best for you is the school the Quiz tells you is best. Only start to choose different schools for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th wizards (You can have more than one on the same account).
Also, get a buddy to play the game with you while you're early in the game. You may not need him or her just yet, but you will need them when you move on to later worlds, starting with the third one which is called "Marleybone".

Here's a list of required worlds in their order:

1) Wizard City
2) Krokotopia
3) Marleybone
4) Mooshu
5) Dragonspyre
6) Celestia
7) Zafaria
8) Avalon
9) Azteca
10) Khrysalis (However you spell that--it's not the thing butterflies come out of, it's a word that sounds like it that was created by the company)
11+) Not created yet

And here is the list of side-worlds in order of level you can start them:

1) Grizzleheim
2) Wysteria
3) Aquila
4) Wintertusk

Sorry about no smilies today. I'm in a bad mood.

-Nathaniel Redflame, level 50

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
Okay, this may be a long post so get ready...
I'll also be mostly speaking about primary schools and not talking about secondary.

Balance
Balance is a jack of all trades. It can do nearly whatever you want it to... trap, shield, charm, heal, and more! It's the school that's right in the middle in terms of HP and stats as well. It isn't too good of an idea to use this as a secondary.

Death
Death is a school that focuses on self-survival and damaging utilizing traps and charms. It's damage isn't as good as other schools, but has the plus of stealing HP and causing DoT (Damage over time) effects. You can even use death as a primary or secondary due to how well rounded it is with it's bulk and damage.

Ice
Ice is similar to death with it's damage and how it needs to deal damage. Ice is a VERY bulky school with unique spells that do various things. You can use this as a primary or secondary school.

Fire
Fire is a primarily DPS school. Remember, DPS means damage per second (or in this case, turn). It has many DoT attacks that can deal a hefty amount of damage when stacked up on each other compared to a simple "burst". It's attack is above average with below average accuracy. It's overall bulk is decent as well. Use it as a primary or secondary school.

Storm
Storm is your "burst" school. It's normally said to have the highest damage (although, I don't really believe that). Compared to fire, it's accuracy is slightly lower and it's bulk is the lowest. It has the best damage in terms of one big hit. Use it as a primary or secondary school.

Life
Life is your "healer" school. It has the best healing spells and has many defense tactics. It's damage is decent with decent bulk. You can use this as a primary or secondary school.

Myth (I ran out of colors)
Myth is another damage based school, but special. It can damage own it's own and utilizing it's own summoned minions. It's bulk is decent and is a viable school as a secondary or primary.

(Not enough characters )

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Skip the quiz. It doesn't really have anything to do with play style. It picks based on things like you favorite color.

If you want to solo everything, pick death. If you want to support a team or partner pick balance or life. If you want to be the damage dealer for a team or partnership pick storm. Ice and Myth are very good for mid level PvP and can be good questing schools, but need to develop the right way, so pick your gear and secondary spells wisely. Fire is a great school for solo questing (train some healing spells), for PvP, and as a damage dealer on a team.

If you start a school but don't love it, start another but keep the first, you may want to come back to it.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2013
Welcome first of all also choose any school you want but if you want to get related to most of the game spells try balance but it's a bit complicated also here are a few things to tell you about of couple of spells taunts make monsters to attack you more those are the ones with skulls on them then pacify spells make monster not want to attack you as much but other players instead kind of cruel but it's useful by the way it's the one with the bird on it balance dose not give you any of these for free ice gets taunts for free just thought I would explain these spells there a bit complicated for starters, also ever need help you find me in the wizard city commons from 5:00 to 5:10. But remember choose what ever you work best with

Hunter G.

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
squirrel106 on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
ok here we go. fire a good attacking school and still has lots of good health.
poor health but high damage
low damage but high health and resist
the abilty to summon minions but these minions are not particuarly useful and not much all hit spells medium health
The abilty to heal your friends and yourself basically a school of healing but has some good attacks still a good solo school in my opinion. high health
Good Solo school the heal back from your attacks is good and you get a lot of health from just attacking wont really have to heal your self if you get a good heal back attack on your side. had lots of fun playing on my death wizard since i like soloing.
i dont really recomend this school at all escpially for beginners high health but a main support school and low damage if you think you would be a pvp school this is the one basically the balance of all schools but has no prism or opposite low damage increasing blades. so yeah dont recomend for beginners.

Hope this helps

Austin Firecaster lvl 100
I have to strongly disagree with your outlook of ! My balance wizard Rebecca GoldGarden does extremely well. In fact, is very easy to solo the game with that Rebecca beat wizard city at level 8, Krokotopia at level 12, Marleybone at 22, Mooshu at 30, etc. This was possible because balance wizards have decent health, great amounts of damage if you play your cards right, "cheap" spells like hydra that have immense damage raises with blades and traps, and cool animations with the spells, but every school has that.

My main wizard is Grace DreamRider who is a wizard. At times, it is difficult but this will occur with every school. Despite the common outlook, wizards are much more than "Just the annoying healers" Life wizards can do big damage in the higher levels, we heal all the time so are hard to kill, and once in avalon you learn Guardian Spirit that can bring you and your teammates back after being defeated, It literally revives you and makes being even better.

Grace DreamRider
Level 82

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
Grace Dreamrider on Jun 10, 2014 wrote:
I have to strongly disagree with your outlook of ! My balance wizard Rebecca GoldGarden does extremely well. In fact, is very easy to solo the game with that Rebecca beat wizard city at level 8, Krokotopia at level 12, Marleybone at 22, Mooshu at 30, etc. This was possible because balance wizards have decent health, great amounts of damage if you play your cards right, "cheap" spells like hydra that have immense damage raises with blades and traps, and cool animations with the spells, but every school has that.

My main wizard is Grace DreamRider who is a wizard. At times, it is difficult but this will occur with every school. Despite the common outlook, wizards are much more than "Just the annoying healers" Life wizards can do big damage in the higher levels, we heal all the time so are hard to kill, and once in avalon you learn Guardian Spirit that can bring you and your teammates back after being defeated, It literally revives you and makes being even better.

Grace DreamRider
Level 82

Go you! My main is also a , and I hate it when people say we're "The healing class". We're hard to defeat (especially with Sanctuary up, love that spell) and we have great accuracy too. We have healing galore and different types of healing spells to suit the situation we're in, and we can do serious damage (even in the lower levels)!

No disrespect to any other schools, all are hard to defeat, just for some different reasons.

Bladed Seraph

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
Dakota Death on Jun 9, 2014 wrote:
Skip the quiz. It doesn't really have anything to do with play style. It picks based on things like you favorite color.

If you want to solo everything, pick death. If you want to support a team or partner pick balance or life. If you want to be the damage dealer for a team or partnership pick storm. Ice and Myth are very good for mid level PvP and can be good questing schools, but need to develop the right way, so pick your gear and secondary spells wisely. Fire is a great school for solo questing (train some healing spells), for PvP, and as a damage dealer on a team.

If you start a school but don't love it, start another but keep the first, you may want to come back to it.
Life and balance absolutely have the capacity to deal high damage and to solo. It's all in your play preference and how you choose to function. I assume maybe you were talking from a PVP perspective, but and can be the heavy hitters there too. Please don't try to limit how people want to play.

Bladed Seraph

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Bladed Seraph on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
Life and balance absolutely have the capacity to deal high damage and to solo. It's all in your play preference and how you choose to function. I assume maybe you were talking from a PVP perspective, but and can be the heavy hitters there too. Please don't try to limit how people want to play.

Bladed Seraph
I was not limiting anyone. Every school has the ability to do every quest, which is a great feature of the game. My point was if you want to run with a team, Life and Balance are ideal and usually in the highest demand. That's not because they can't do other things, but because they are so good at working with with others.

The stereotypes of schools aren't limits, but they are what each school does most efficiently. If you know you want a certain style of play it makes sense to pick the school that best supports it.