Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 5-9-14

AuthorMessage
Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Professor Falmea on May 9, 2014 wrote:
Hello, Wizards! It's about that time again, that time being Friday, and it's time to chat. Let's get on with it!

Sometimes we all need a little assistance, and there's no other Wizards around. In those times of need, do you go for a minion or a henchman more often? Does it depend on the circumstance? Which minion or henchman is your go to helper?

Thanks, as always, for playing. Hope your weekend embers with greatness!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
In questing, I use neither; they generally do not help with one hit kills against bosses and street mobs. In pvp, I often use minions to fulfill a specific purpose, such as taking away shields or doing constant damage.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
I usually use neither. I don't find myself needing help very often, and when I do, I have a great many friends who can help. However, since that wasn't the question, I'd have to go with henchmen. I'm a theurgist, and I don't find the Life minion to be particularly... adept at anything other than casting pixie. I like to work with someone that is a different school so that they won't use up my traps with weaker spells. That's why I usually go with henchmen.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I prefer to solo to be honest, but if I had a choice between the two it would probably be Nerys. The henchmen use up crowns while all the level 78 minions take is pips and mana.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Minions are largely ineffective in higher-level worlds. They'll ruin setups and hardly be of use.

How could minions be truly useful? Make them specific to one job. Have a healing minion. An attacking minion. A buffing minion. They could be used interchangeably and killed off with sacrifice minion spells for setups and specific purposes. Not only that, you could make them universal in some way - like Moon school minions or Shadow minions. Something that costs two pips that you can't use power pips with (meaning four for any decent high-level wizard).

Henchman, on the other hand, are something I'll almost always avoid, even if it means dying over and over. I have the crowns, but the higher-level ones are so expensive that purchasing them for every battle I have trouble with is unrealistic, and any that I can afford are ineffective at my level.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
Love this question! When I have crowns, I go for a 50 crown price henchmen, they do really good with keeping me alive! Then when I have a henchmen and my minion comes up, I use it too. That way we've got the enemy pretty much surrounded! =)

Ice IS nice!

~Lauren Ice Flower ~ LVL 93

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
henchmen are more flexible because you can use strong ones from any school. The best minions are school specific. I have yet to see a Deer Knight henchman treasure card (as a single example)

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
I usually bring in a minion if I'd have to choose out of the two. But this is only if I'm fighting against a boss by myself, though lately with the "Team Up" option I'm seeing myself use them less and less.

- Wolf Deathstalker, Exalted

Delver
Oct 23, 2011
I'm level 100 balance and I prefer Henchmen. I used to use minions a lot at lower levels, but they aren't strong enough anymore and take up space in my deck. I think henchmen should be able to be bought with gold.

Survivor
Sep 29, 2011
I always use Henchmen when necessary. I tried minions for awhile, but found them to be a quick way to die. Henchmen, if chosen with care make most boss battles easy. I always chose a Life henchman, for healing, a henchman from the boss' opposition school, and the opposition school of the boss' henchman.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2012
yeah, i use henchmen if i need. mostly because they dont require pips and i dont have to put them in deck like minions just in case they should be needed. I would however use minions a lot more if they were specialized.(if there was minions who would only heal, only blade/trap or only attack) but as it is now i dont use minions or henchmen unless i have no other option since they tend to mess up my setup of traps and converts

Survivor
Dec 06, 2010
I often quest with no people around but then I don't usually thought of using minions in battle (especially in bosses) because they lack intelligence of the card they'll be using. Cases are, they ruin offensive strategies (consuming feints) or activate boss cheats. Also, using them requires spaces in decks which might cause little troubles of seeking out desired cards when in battle. Also neither I used henchmen in any of my battles because basically they consume crowns and might as well ruin things in battle. Anyway, it doesn't mean that both have no significant use at all. In my case, whenever I feel a little lonely or bored fighting, I thought of using minions (more likely those ranked 6-7) because I feel like they are as well companions that never leaves me (such loyalty though) and will be there if ever I needed in dire times. Henchmen (though never used one), based from my observation with their capabilities quite come in handy due to their potential to be summoned in battle at any times without interrupting the owner's pips and because of their high initial pips right after conjured.

- Adrian Deathwraith 95

Survivor
Dec 17, 2012
If I have crowns on me I do prefer a henchman over a minion. Reason being is that generating one doesn't cost me valuable pips. Also since you can choose the type of henchman, they can be helpful in any battle, no matter the school of your enemy, or the rank.

Survivor
Nov 11, 2008
Neither... I turn to a friend. Minions except animate are awful, and henchmen, (the good ones at least) are expensive to continuously use in my opinion.

Survivor
May 25, 2011
Hello, Wizards! It's about that time again, that time being Friday, and it's time to chat. Let's get on with it!

Sometimes we all need a little assistance, and there's no other Wizards around. In those times of need, do you go for a minion or a henchman more often? Does it depend on the circumstance? Which minion or henchman is your go to helper?

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Henchman are way more stronger then henchman, They start with 5 to 6 golden pips and minions with 1.Minions are helpful in pvp and henchman in battles.
"Thank you for making the day so much fun as well as informative."

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
I have two accounts, so I use someone from my other account. Problem solved.

Defender
May 11, 2012
In my humble opinion, minions are useless. All they tend to do is mess things up, ruin whatever you are planning, and are usually very selfish, using what you need on themselves instead of helping you. I have never used a henchman (cannot afford to waste crowns), and, from what I have heard from people who have tried them, they don't always help the way you wish they would anyways. I use to depend on friends, and we had a lot of fun helping each other out, but they have all quit, because the game has gotten too hard and dungeons too long and they have moved on to games they find more enjoyable and less stressful.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79 (stuck in Avalon forever )

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
If I'm going into a fight that I know I'll need help with (like the fight to get the efreet card) I'll use a minion. Other times ill just have friends help me. I would use the higher level henchmen but they are just a bit too expensive so I usually go with a level 40 life in really bad scenarios

Survivor
Oct 24, 2011
If I am close to death and there isn't anyone that can really help me in a battle, I will most likely use a henchman and thats about the only time I will use any minion/henchman.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
When I was in the first story arc with my myth, I used minions all the time. After Celestia and the introduction of critical my minions weren't worth the cost of pips to summon them, they die entirely too fast and saving 5-6 pips for a minion I have no control over with low damage boosts and no enchantments who will take out my feints just makes me a sad panda.

I typically solo except major dungeons, and I won't use a minion or a henchman now. If I had an option of buying a minion that would not attack and only use utility spells, (blades, traps, shields, heals, weakness, smokescreen, etc) I would do so if needed. (The level 40 life isn't bad).

With the introduction of team-up though I rarely have to fight alone and I'd always prefer another player if one is available. You can't control them either, but at least you can communicate what you want or need from them :-D

Calamity PixieShade, level 100

P.S. Also I still really despise dimensional shift, can it please be any player and not a minion especially at that cost.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
abdulrahman1995 on May 10, 2014 wrote:
Henchman are way more stronger then henchman, They start with 5 to 6 golden pips and minions with 1.Minions are helpful in pvp and henchman in battles.
"Thank you for making the day so much fun as well as informative."
Not all Henchmen start with that many pips; you have to buy fairly high level henchmen for that to happen.
Both can help in duels depending on the school of the minion (Storm and Fire are pretty much useless). As for PvP, I avoid it at all costs.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I have never, and will never pay for hechmen.

I liked minions at low levels, but they are worse than no help at higher levels. I would use them if they were purpose built, as others have suggested. Mainly I'd want support for my damage wizards - healing, shielding, and buffs - especially those with a pip cost. For Balance it might cool to have a minion that did off-school damage.

As it is I don't use any because they waste my buffs, and more often than not they don't do what I need when I need it. Random attacks by minions don't help at all past CL.

Some of the complaints about the game being too hard to solo, and complaints about Myth school being bad come about because the handy low level minions we liked early in the game are not upgraded at higher levels. It seems like there was a conscious decision to SELL henchmen, rather than keep the game able to be done solo by using minions.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Prince of Shadows on May 10, 2014 wrote:
I have never, and will never pay for hechmen.

I liked minions at low levels, but they are worse than no help at higher levels. I would use them if they were purpose built, as others have suggested. Mainly I'd want support for my damage wizards - healing, shielding, and buffs - especially those with a pip cost. For Balance it might cool to have a minion that did off-school damage.

As it is I don't use any because they waste my buffs, and more often than not they don't do what I need when I need it. Random attacks by minions don't help at all past CL.

Some of the complaints about the game being too hard to solo, and complaints about Myth school being bad come about because the handy low level minions we liked early in the game are not upgraded at higher levels. It seems like there was a conscious decision to SELL henchmen, rather than keep the game able to be done solo by using minions.
well said.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2010
What would be amazing is if you make more minions that can crit block that would be epic. Thanks wiz101

Oh and I normally find a questing partner to go through each world with. If I fail a school only battle multiple times I end up buying a henchmen other than that I sometimes use minions when I feel like it, i think they are a fun added feature (plus they look really cool). Robert ShadowSmith lvl 93

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012

I love going to Azteca and spamming low level henchmen. Why? Because its funny. That's why.

The minions I have used are often short lived and ineffective. The latest minion was the only good minion i have used, short of pulling a full pip death animate, who rates a close second. The dungeons you are facing when you get the minions are usually enough outta the minions league that it doesn't last too long. Not without a serious amount of managing, shields and heals.

As a last ditch effort in an important dungeon, and it has to be pretty bad, would be life henchman, and a henchman of opposing school to the boss's henchmen. Reasons, being obvious, my fizz rate doubles, my pet falls asleep, my deck stacks against me, and my block no longer seems to work. Funny that. Real funny. Seems to stop after about 8-9 rounds.

Suggestion? The 'new' minions should be acquired about 5-10 levels before people get them. The lower level henchmen, well, same thing. Just a suggestion.

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
I am in the higher level worlds so in boss fights henchmen are way more helpful. I do not have tons of crowns though so i only buy them as a last resort, 200 health left sort of thing. I do not need them for street fights because i am life, so those are easy and i do them on my own.
Grace DreamRider