Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Truth about Shadow Shrike and Top Level

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
This article is being posted as a counter to common misconceptions about Shrike and top level PvP that have been propagated recently in the forums. While I would love countering each and every post from certain advocates(and probably will) I feel an article on Duelist 101 by top PvP player and strategist Nick debunks almost all of the claims being made. In this article(click here) we can see

1) The "auto win shrike" with "no legitimate counters" being successfully defended from not once, not twice but three times.(without the use of a single stun I might add)
2) The "waste of a turn shields" being used to mitigate pierce and damage.
3) The "weak backlash" dropping a player down by almost 50% HP.
4) The "first turn is even more powerful thanks to shrike" being beaten from second round.

Shadow magic entirely overpowered? Shadow magic needs to be No PvP? Shadow magic needs to be banned or nerfed? I think not.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
This article is being posted as a counter to common misconceptions about Shrike and top level PvP that have been propagated recently in the forums. While I would love countering each and every post from certain advocates(and probably will) I feel an article on Duelist 101 by top PvP player and strategist Nick debunks almost all of the claims being made. In this article(click here) we can see

1) The "auto win shrike" with "no legitimate counters" being successfully defended from not once, not twice but three times.(without the use of a single stun I might add)
2) The "waste of a turn shields" being used to mitigate pierce and damage.
3) The "weak backlash" dropping a player down by almost 50% HP.
4) The "first turn is even more powerful thanks to shrike" being beaten from second round.

Shadow magic entirely overpowered? Shadow magic needs to be No PvP? Shadow magic needs to be banned or nerfed? I think not.
Well, firstly, nearly 50% HP? Since when? Most players only use shrike when they are setting up a combo, so it normally takes down about 10% of their HP...Sure, shields can be used to minimize shrike's pierce, but think of it from the perspective of someone slightly lower level without shrike. They do not have the advantage of ignoring shields. They need shields just to survive the ridiculous amounts of damage nowadays. Then, Kingsisle put out shrike, in effect destroying one of the few defenses lower levels had against maximum levels, shields. Sure, they still have their resist, but critical counters that almost completely, and they only have so much health. One of the huge reasons that shadow magic is unfair is because not everyone can use it. Maybe if it were made 25% pierce, it would be fair, but as it is now, it certainly is not.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Aaron SpellThief on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
Well, firstly, nearly 50% HP? Since when? Most players only use shrike when they are setting up a combo, so it normally takes down about 10% of their HP...Sure, shields can be used to minimize shrike's pierce, but think of it from the perspective of someone slightly lower level without shrike. They do not have the advantage of ignoring shields. They need shields just to survive the ridiculous amounts of damage nowadays. Then, Kingsisle put out shrike, in effect destroying one of the few defenses lower levels had against maximum levels, shields. Sure, they still have their resist, but critical counters that almost completely, and they only have so much health. One of the huge reasons that shadow magic is unfair is because not everyone can use it. Maybe if it were made 25% pierce, it would be fair, but as it is now, it certainly is not.
The problem that shrike causes against lower lvls is a matching system problem. I support KI adjusting their matching system to be more cognizant of lvl disparity. However, I do not subscribe to the theory that a max lvl wizard's tools should be nerfed because they may face lower levels. Shadow Magic is perfect as it is right now against players at the correct levels who have all the tools, resources and stats to counter it.