Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet's Failing To Heal

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 28, 2011
Dear Kings Isle,

Due to your recent "adjustment" of the "Fairy Friend" healing talent ratio, the effects of that change have me here now, voicing my utter shock and disappointment. I, along with many other players, have spent countless hours hatching, training and enjoying our amazing healing and helping pets, not to mention oodles of real, hard earned money (read: hundreds of thousands of dollars). And now...well, they are useless.

I understand you are aware of this problem and are looking into it and I have faith that you will do the right thing and readjust this talent back to the way it was. If I cannot count on my pet to heal me while soloing your amazing game or during PvP, I won't be playing it anymore and I will cancel my account when my yearly subscription comes due in the next month. You cannot play this game without healing pets...period.

I have 6 wizards and they all had perfect pets. Please, do the right thing and give us our awesome perfect pets back. We have all worked so very hard to make them and we share them with anyone who needs a better pet and help them to get what we have. Don't do this to your loyal paying players...or to the children who don't understand why their pets don't heal anymore...

With high-hopes and deep respect to all the awesome KI people who made this game the happiest place on the web

Peace, out...Lucas Silverblade

Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
I have multiple wizards and most of my pets have fairy friend. I have spent a great deal of money ( buying emps and couch potatoes to get mega snacks, as well as mega snack packs oh and let's not forget having to buy extra energy to farm all those plants). This does not even account for the huge amount of time required to finding a good pet and get it trained to mega. Now after all this work, they have adjusted the healing rate. It appears like they have adjusted it to almost zero

Why would they do this Who is it fair too

If you are into pets, you are constantly going to be finding and training new ones always in search of that perfect pet. KI who are you helping by doing this, certainly not the players. A few people who play pvp and complain because their pets don't heal as well as someone elses? A few people complain and we all suffer and I would be willing to bet these are the same ones that are sore losers and pout when they don't win.

Please KI, review this change that you made and change it back. If you are on a solo quest with a boss that has major health, even with healing spells, you need a pet that can cast fairy, otherwise you spend most of your time healing and not fighting the boss.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2010
I am actually glad about less pet heals, it's funny how 90% of the matches i lose are because of them

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
I appreciate that you may be looking into this. What I do not appreciate is being sold false promise. I have hundreds of dollars invested in perfecting pets. Before carefully selecting the talents to painstakingly implement on these pets. Months of observation was spent.

These talents had known probabilities of casting. What you have done by messing with these pet talents is no different than reducing school dealers damage talents by half. Overnight you have rendered years of work obsolete with no explanation.

This is no different than buying gear from the crown shop with hard earned money. Only to find out the stats on that gear was falsly advertised. The question is, why are you messing around with pet talents that have been in use for over a year?

This has me seriously considering cancelling all of my subs and leaving this game.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
I hope that the evaluation process will take into consideration the number of pets that have been hatched to include fairy since its release and quick recognition as a top tier talent. Many wizards have completely rebuilt their pets to include this talent and many more are simply thrilled to have a pet, any pet, that includes a fairy friend to help them through battle. It feels unfair for the behavior of pets to change so radically if full consideration is not given to the amount of work involved in their creation and the feelings of the players that prized pets might be permanently altered. Pet hatching and training is an uncertain prospect in the best case scenario. It is disheartening that when a goal is finally achieved of "my perfect pet" that not only can it be unseated by a new "it" talent, introduced at any time, but also the potential for removal of value from the existing pet. Thank you for your efforts to investigate this matter.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
If they adjust this will it be slightly or back to where it was? It's been my experience that once something has been tinkered with it's never the same again.

I know I put a lot of time into getting Spritely into my pets over time and now they are useless. With Halloween I was introduced to Energizing Bunny which doesn't seem to work now. Hours of game play and no healing makes pet a decoration now.

Mary

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Yes they stole are pets.I am sure they will never be the same.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Lets all be honest here.
There are a large number of PvP'ers on this game.
As I'm not one of them, I really don't care that they were upset about the pets healing too much, causing them to readjust their playstyle..... That just isn't my problem.

My problem, is in 4 personal wizards over 2 accounts, plus 4 additional wizards on another account, and a friends 5 wizards on his account, all hatching, rehatching, re-rehatching against eachother, as time and money allowed. The thousands...and I mean thousands of Mega Snacks I farmed, the 48 couch potatoes, and the 64 EMP's I BOUGHT with crowns to be able to farm my mega's with.

The fact that I spent MONTHS, every day, every night and put HUNDREDS of RW dollars into crowns, to raise my pets for these accounts, ensuring they have Fairy, Sprite, and Proof, along with other heals, damage, defense that I could breed into them.

The countless hours, money spent to make a pet so my daughter can play easier... because at 5 it's a little hard to know when to heal.... and NOW, we have no healing for a MONTH.

Is there really that many PVP'ers who would ratrher have the spell dropped, rather than adjust their playstyle to allow for it??
Are the PVP groups, really that self centered???
Is KI REALLY going to cater to the few PVP'ers who complain over the many who have devoted all their time and half their paychecks into developing their perfect pets???

As someone who constantly buys packs, bundles, gear, plants, mounts...etc....
I'm workign hard to figure out if paying memberships, for 3 accounts a year, and dropping my real world cash into crowns is even worth it anymore.....

Unil this is addressed and rectified, I, for one, will not spend or buy another crown, and I will be cancelling all three of my memberships as soon as they come around. If I wanted to spend money on something that was NOT going to be as it was advertised... I'd stay up late watching infomercials....

Morgrim

Survivor
May 02, 2011
I have to agree with prince of shadows, In my opinion the game would truly benefit from the separation of pvp and pve. That way their would be separate rules and equipment for each.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
Prince of Shadows on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

The "whole point of the game" is to provide enjoyment and entertainment to millions of players. If you need more challenge to have fun, unequip your pet or take off some gear. Most of the kids playing the game enjoy active pets, and have put a lot of effort into getting them.

The "desired outcome of the game" is for us to want to play it.

I am well aware of what PvP is like. Healing pets have been available to everyone, so if it is frustrating for you to have your opponent's pet heal, it should be equally frustrating for them when yours does. That's fair, and there are ways to counter it. Think through the problem & find a proper solution ;)

What isn't fair is for the 98% of players in the game who don't hang out on twitter and cliquish fan sites, and who have not been considered in this "adjustment" to get their pets squashed to please a small cadre who complain endlessly about other players pets/gear/spells being overpowered. Yes, it is mostly the same small but vocal group, and yes, it is mostly from PvP.

My opinion is this would be a better game in every way if ranked PvP was removed, or at least made entirely separate, with dedicated gear & rules. But I have never asked for a PvP function to be removed or nerfed. This change, like the sprite & reshuffle nerfs, seems to have been instigated by a very small percentage of hardcore players who are not representative of the player base as a whole.
I like that you have addressed the one-sided nature of that other post. I hope that poster gets the hint.

This is a game for players of all ages, and it should exist to provide enjoyment and entertainment for all of them. I have seen so many players say they want to quit the game because it is no longer fun for them (mainly due to the arbitrary and unannounced changes to game play -- unannounced until the stealth changes are discovered that is -- then KI makes alterations to their update notes, lol).

Now, on to my personal opinions (not directed at Prince of Shadows):

I play both PvE and PvP. I have seen all the complaints.

1. Pets are over-powered and heal too much.
Well, anyone can work hard to get a pet exactly the way they want it -- so, put in the effort to get a good pet (by the way, that can take months and lots of money).

2. Pets are not healing like normal (in any given PvP), but the opponent's pets are healing all the time -- did they find a way to steal the heals from other pets?
Good luck figuring that one out. I doubt there is a logical answer for any unnatural and unexpected behavior from a well known and often used pet.

Okay, enough of the well known complaints. On to the real reason I am so upset about the most recent pet nerf. Time, effort, and money. By all accounts if I buy anything anywhere anytime I expect to get what I pay for. If I go to the store to buy an apple tree, but when I get it home and planted it grows oranges that is not okay. It really is not all that complicated. KI needs to gives us what we paid for and what we worked so hard to get (I did not pay for arbitrary negative changes to my pets, gear, housing items, or anything else).

That is not to say that KI can't update certain elements to the game (after all, it is their game), but that is what the test realm is for, and it should be made very clear to all players (even those that can't get into the test realm) well in advance what they are considering. These stealth moves that KI gets caught in are pathetic.

At any rate, I hope this latest pet fiasco is rectified.

Ruby Blades

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
There are a lot of discussions going on about the pet healing situation. Here is just one example from one of the fansites:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?399241-Healing-Cast-Rates

I'm not sure if KI follows the posts/comments on the fansites too.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
SkyBreaker100 on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
The whole point of a game is to present a challenge, and players should think through problems to find proper solutions. To have yourself healed for 500+ health for absolutely no drawback is not strategic, nor is any thought required. The whole idea of may cast pet heals were established to be small perks, but to have your fairy go off constantly was most likely not intentional in the first place.

"Things that help us" get nerfed because the 'help' does not correspond with the desired outcome of this game, and so there is certainly a proper explanation. As for "Bad move", there are certainly many who do not agree with this update, but this was probably aimed mainly towards PvP, since in case you aren't aware, it is extremely frustrating to have your opponent revive themselves OUT OF TURN for no pip penalty.
Very good point. Agreed!

Survivor
May 31, 2008
Greetings, students. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. As you know, fairies are capricious and unpredictable creatures. It appears that some of my recent spell research has caused the fairies to behave differently on pets than they have in the past. I did need to make changes to the frequency they were cast, as they were too disruptive to combat. But the amount their behavior has changed was unintended. Now they are not appearing nearly as much as I would like. I will endeavor to rectify their behavior promptly.

This is the only spell triggered from pets that was changed in the latest update. None of the other pet spells were affected.

Fairies cast from pets should be happening equally as often as Spritely. Rest assured I will work my considerable skills in magic to ensure this change appears quickly.

“To control the Future, one must look to the Past.”
Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
Thanks for starting to work on this!!! i just saw the post on the message boards but i'm really thank full you're working on this since i have noticed this in my last PvP matches, now i see more sprites than fairies (and ''spritely'' has already been lowered) but this really concerns me it's affecting my matches, i have changed to my pets before fairy friend came out but still it isn't the same, changing life bat for fairy no we need fairies back.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Professor Drake on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
Greetings, students. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. As you know, fairies are capricious and unpredictable creatures. It appears that some of my recent spell research has caused the fairies to behave differently on pets than they have in the past. I did need to make changes to the frequency they were cast, as they were too disruptive to combat. But the amount their behavior has changed was unintended. Now they are not appearing nearly as much as I would like. I will endeavor to rectify their behavior promptly.

This is the only spell triggered from pets that was changed in the latest update. None of the other pet spells were affected.

Fairies cast from pets should be happening equally as often as Spritely. Rest assured I will work my considerable skills in magic to ensure this change appears quickly.
Thank you very much professor. It is reassuring to have some specific news. While most of us are not happy with any reductions to may-cast rates, what was much more troubling in this case was a sense that these decisions were being made absent of player input, without consideration of our concerns, and without a clear statement of intent from KI. Unfortunately this has been a pattern in the past, leaving many players wondering if any investment of time and crowns is safe.

Of course we understand the complexity of the game programs, and the time needed to get things right. In the past the base rate of Fairy was about the same as Spritely. If the end result will be Fairy casting at the current Spritely rate, I think most players will accept this.

I appreciate you taking the time to update us. Better communication on the details of changes like this will help them go over more smoothly with the community.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2011

Thank you very much Professor Drake!!

I must admit that i too am one who considered quitting because my pets don't heal as much as it use to especially during pvp but your words of assurance to seriously look into this matter has given me hope to stay. I look forward to this success.

Explorer
May 02, 2010
The issue is that in PvE the pets having higher heal trigger rates is fine, but in PvP it becomes a major issue leading to extra long matches. A very simple solution would be to have different trigger rates for PvE and PvP as the two type of combat our practically as different as night and day.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011

i was wondering what as going on, Thxfor taking care of it

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Professor Drake!
As your biggest fan and no.1 student, you know how much i hate training pets and how many crowns and gold i have spent on EMP's for snacks, on extra energy, on mega snack packs. But due to your sage advice, i have been a good myth student, knuckled down and trained those pets, knowing that they were an essential part of the game. I have actively sought out great hatches and eventually arrived at a time where i have some magnificent pets for my wizards. I would have thought you would be proud of me. Don't be hard to get along with. Please undo your black magic and free our pets from their curse. As we are the ones who freed your unfortunate brother Malistaire in Dragonspyre and Azteca, you owe us at least that much.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2011
Dear Prof Drake,

Can you please clarify your response I would like to make sure I understand. Are you saying that the cast rate for fairy will equal the cast rate for sprite? As there have been "tweaks" to the cast rate of sprite in the past, I am assuming that fairy now will reflect the cast rate as sprite is now and not as its has been in the past.

If the answer to my question above is yes, then how do wizards go about getting refunds for their pets as there is no difference between the 2 talents from a casting rate perspective and as such there would have been no reason for a wizard to add fairy to their pets when they had sprite.

Regards
Sophia

Survivor
May 21, 2010
Dear Kingsisle,
I am writing in hope that you will listen and change back the talent "fairy friend" cast rate, how it was before the update as quickly as possible.I was questing on some of my characters in Khrysalis and i kept noticing my mega pet with 3-damages, proof, and fairy would not heal me as much as it used too. Before the update,it would usually cast very often and i would be very satisfied. i never had any problems soloing.But after the LOWERED CAST RATE OF FAIRY FRIEND, I had died multiple times hoping for my pet to cast fairy. On the update notes they said cast rate of fairy was a "minor" change but this is very false because now fairy casts as much as unicorn which is a epic talent. Worst of all "fairy friend" wasn't even changed from uncommon to epic.I have been playing this game for 4 years now. Lately the game is becoming worse and worse especially with this update. I have spent more than 2 years training pets and finally when i have most of my pets with may cast "fairy" on them the talent doesn't work. This is very disappointing because i have spent so much money and on mega snacks, evil magma peas, energy elixirs to try to get my perfect pet with fairy for questing and pvp. Many players only log on because of pets and i am one of them.Like many others, if it wasn't for pets i would have left long time ago, but gardening for mega snacks and training pets keeps me going. Changing the cast rate of fairy was a bad idea because many of us got rid of other healing talents like spritely, unicorn, current for fairy only. Having said that, I feel like my pets are useless to me now because fairy never casts and i am losing motivation to keep hatching and training. KI,"fairy friend" cast rate was fine the way it was before, and i please beg of you to change it back. Because if you don't you are going to lose a valued customer like me and many others who are dedicated to this game.Thank you for listening and I really hope you guys take action to change it.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
compguru1 on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
The issue is that in PvE the pets having higher heal trigger rates is fine, but in PvP it becomes a major issue leading to extra long matches. A very simple solution would be to have different trigger rates for PvE and PvP as the two type of combat our practically as different as night and day.
I agree that Altering triggers for PvP and PvE would make a difference but I think another solution is to run PvP similar to Grub Guardian, where the info is drawn from the account but the game is hosted and run by a different set of rule. (Ideally an age limiting rule, for reasons listed below)
Soap Box (skip if desired)
I have had pretty poor experience with PvP and have found that it is more an ego boost superiority complex thing than a game to be played in the spirit of games. The target audience of Wizard is young and prone to difficulty in gamemanship, PvP isn't teaching the youth playing the skills of being a good sport and is exasperating poor behavior in general, Not just among the young. I don't see how the ability to "beat down" another person, perhaps even one on your friend list is a okay in any society so why is it Okay in Wizard101 to 'Kill' or 'beat down' your friends. In search of power and fulfillment we seek to harm others. I am in no way a supporter of any game in which you aim and ATTACK at a friend, it sets a bad president even if it is only video games. I will also say that in my area yesterday a 13 year old died because his friend failed to comprehend the difference between real and game and shot his best friend with a shot gun. Wizard set the intent of being a family friendly game, a safe game and one of educational value, it is my belief that PvP is subversive to these goals.

Rule 1 of Weapons safety is never aim for something you aren't willing to kill, So why are we aiming attacks at other human beings.
Post Soap Box
So after my soap box my point is I do not believe PvP should be used to determine any of gameplay in a childs game and I believe PvP is best left of up adults who have made a conscious decision to partake in such activities. Please leave the healing to rates that allow players to solo difficult bosses and continue playing the game as designed and advertised. PvP and their issues with fairy are a side element of the game and should not impact those who do not participate in such activities.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
Hi, I too Want to just say I believe it is wrong that if the pet states it can do such and such and doesn't, then why even have a pet? We spend lots of our hard earned cash on these items training them so they can help us in our battles. I have plenty of pets, yes some are cute, but they're all sitting in my castles cause they don't help me in battles. I am in total agreement with the sentiments of everyone else on here, it is not right that the pets are not giving out the unicorn, or the fairys or the sprites or whatever else that they are supposed to be giving out to heal, if that's what it says. I have a pet that is almost at Mega and has the unicorn talent, but if I even see the unicorn even once I am lucky in a long battle. This is so Not Right! I too have spent thousands, I have been with you since practically the beginning of when you all started up. I too have accounts for my kids, but if this is the way you are going to be running things I will find other games to be playing, and spending my money on, and that includes my kids accounts as well. I do hope you rectify this situation and quickly. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2013
I agree with most of the other posts. Way too much time and money are spent on healing pets. I like them because I like to play alone a lot. Having that extra help means a big difference when I'm fighting 2-4 enemies on my own.
If PVP want them lowered, surely you can find a way to just lower it for PVP matches. Not that I'm sure that is fair either. Pets are something you can get with great healing powers just from keeping at training and hatching without spending actual gold. Crowns can buy awesome gear for PVP, while others have to work hard for it.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
compguru1 on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
Or you could train a pet for critical, a ward pet, or something that does not have healers. We put time and effort into having healing pets and that should not be taken away from PvE players so that PvP players can save their time and effort.