Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Some PvP Ideas/Suggestions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 26, 2012
I noticed a lot of people are upset about a few things, and I want to suggest my ideas for how to make things a bit more fair.

First of all, I know a lot of people are saying shadow magic is op because low level warlords fight high level privates with shadow magic and/or with ridiculous critical. I agree that is very unfair. I think pvp match pairings should rely more on level or stats rather than rank. Rank should be taken into account, but I think level and stats should matter more.

I want to say, shadow magic should not be called op. Yes it is very strong, but I believe a big part of the reason KI introduced it was because of our complaints about ice being overpowered. Shadow Shrike allows immune ice pvpers to have their massive resist pierced considerably.

However, I do know that it is very difficult to fight someone with shadow magic when you are a low level warlord, so I believe that wizards with shadow magic should only be given a match if the opposing team has at least one member with shadow magic. When people who do not have shadow magic join a pvp on a team with a shadow magic user, they should receive a warning that says something like "A wizard on your team has shadow magic, this means you will be fighting one or more wizards with shadow magic. Are you sure you want to join this match?" That way all chances of a 1v1 with a shadow magic user are eliminated and group battles are set to be much more fair. (In my opinion anyway)

Another issue is that low level warlords end up fighting high levels with massive amounts of critical. This is especially an issue when levels under 50 are fighting level 80s and losing because they can only block using conviction. I suggest that around 20 block be added to the lower level for every 5 levels higher their opponent is. For example, if a level 35 is fighting a level 60, the level 35 should get 20x5=100 block because the level 60's level is higher than the 35 by 5 levels of 5, if that makes any sense lol. If the level 35 was fighting a level 50, they would only get 20x3=60 block added because the level 50 is only 3 levels of 5 higher. Let me know if this doesn't make sense to anyone lol I am not so great at explaining things xD

My last issue is the spell Medusa. I feel it is a bit op in its two turn stun. I think the stun should be lowered to one turn and its damage increased a small bit, or it should at least give 2 stun blocks because it stuns for 2 rounds.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading :)

-Maria

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
I like your idea of a notification that gives you the option of proceeding with the match if you find the conditions acceptable. In fact I think it should be done more broadly. Whenever the parameters are being expanded further during a search for an opponent I think players should be notified if they would like to continue.

EX: We have not found anyone matching your immediate level would your like to continue an expanded search. Doing so might mean that you will be fighting someone beyond you level and or skill. Yes/No

As for the reasoning behind creating shadow shrike to counter the incredibly overpowered defense of ice wizards, I say it's kind of absurd. Not you of course dear, but the reason for creating it. All KI did in the process was create more problems. Ice is still very high in defense and unless you have shadow magic it's doing nothing for you. Instead of using the all dreaded, dare I say it, NERF... and create more reasonable stats instead of dropping in more powerful game mechanics to counter the problem.

That seems to be KI's modus operandi.

KI Developer 1: "Hey we are getting a lot of complaints about how powerful this feature is"
KI Developer 2: "Uh, ok what should we do?"
KI Developer 1: "Hey if we make this new more powerful ability to beat it problem solved!"
KI Developer 2: "Uh, ok"

Sorry if I'm being a little rough on you devs, but seriously are you really thinking this out long term? Or just slapping stuff on?

The way I counter this problem which doesn't work all the time is I don't allow myself to sit and wait for a match up any longer then 2 or 3 minutes. I just click join 1v1 again.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2010
Warlord Maria on Jan 22, 2014 wrote:
I noticed a lot of people are upset about a few things, and I want to suggest my ideas for how to make things a bit more fair.

First of all, I know a lot of people are saying shadow magic is op because low level warlords fight high level privates with shadow magic and/or with ridiculous critical. I agree that is very unfair. I think pvp match pairings should rely more on level or stats rather than rank. Rank should be taken into account, but I think level and stats should matter more.

I want to say, shadow magic should not be called op. Yes it is very strong, but I believe a big part of the reason KI introduced it was because of our complaints about ice being overpowered. Shadow Shrike allows immune ice pvpers to have their massive resist pierced considerably.

However, I do know that it is very difficult to fight someone with shadow magic when you are a low level warlord, so I believe that wizards with shadow magic should only be given a match if the opposing team has at least one member with shadow magic. When people who do not have shadow magic join a pvp on a team with a shadow magic user, they should receive a warning that says something like "A wizard on your team has shadow magic, this means you will be fighting one or more wizards with shadow magic. Are you sure you want to join this match?" That way all chances of a 1v1 with a shadow magic user are eliminated and group battles are set to be much more fair. (In my opinion anyway)

Another issue is that low level warlords end up fighting high levels with massive amounts of critical. This is especially an issue when levels under 50 are fighting level 80s and losing because they can only block using conviction. I suggest that around 20 block be added to the lower level for every 5 levels higher their opponent is. For example, if a level 35 is fighting a level 60, the level 35 should get 20x5=100 block because the level 60's level is higher than the 35 by 5 levels of 5, if that makes any sense lol. If the level 35 was fighting a level 50, they would only get 20x3=60 block added because the level 50 is only 3 levels of 5 higher. Let me know if this doesn't make sense to anyone lol I am not so great at explaining things xD

My last issue is the spell Medusa. I feel it is a bit op in its two turn stun. I think the stun should be lowered to one turn and its damage increased a small bit, or it should at least give 2 stun blocks because it stuns for 2 rounds.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading :)

-Maria
Very good idea when i have pvped on my lower level I faced warlords with out of this world resist and higher levels that means they have more power spells and more health which makes them harder to kill.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2014
I think its a good idea. People who wanna quickly find a 1v1 match will have more understanding of who they will try to beat in a magical fight.

Savannah MoonStone lvl 11

Survivor
Mar 16, 2011
Ok. 2 big things...

1. If you implemented that system,
every single jade on the planet would opt out of shadow magic and not train it to keep their insane resist without ever having to ever get substantially piercedn

2. I seriously don't understand why lvl 50s just don't level up. Instead of constantly complaining be proactive, level up, and get good match-ups.

Wizard101 was not designed for players to squat on a low level that suits them and destroy all other players leveling up and casually playing a pvp when want to take a break from questing.

No sympathy...

Survivor
May 26, 2012
Mr Talon on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
I like your idea of a notification that gives you the option of proceeding with the match if you find the conditions acceptable. In fact I think it should be done more broadly. Whenever the parameters are being expanded further during a search for an opponent I think players should be notified if they would like to continue.

EX: We have not found anyone matching your immediate level would your like to continue an expanded search. Doing so might mean that you will be fighting someone beyond you level and or skill. Yes/No

As for the reasoning behind creating shadow shrike to counter the incredibly overpowered defense of ice wizards, I say it's kind of absurd. Not you of course dear, but the reason for creating it. All KI did in the process was create more problems. Ice is still very high in defense and unless you have shadow magic it's doing nothing for you. Instead of using the all dreaded, dare I say it, NERF... and create more reasonable stats instead of dropping in more powerful game mechanics to counter the problem.

That seems to be KI's modus operandi.

KI Developer 1: "Hey we are getting a lot of complaints about how powerful this feature is"
KI Developer 2: "Uh, ok what should we do?"
KI Developer 1: "Hey if we make this new more powerful ability to beat it problem solved!"
KI Developer 2: "Uh, ok"

Sorry if I'm being a little rough on you devs, but seriously are you really thinking this out long term? Or just slapping stuff on?

The way I counter this problem which doesn't work all the time is I don't allow myself to sit and wait for a match up any longer then 2 or 3 minutes. I just click join 1v1 again.
I'd like to comment on what you said about Shadow Shrike. To pierce ice resist is not the entire reason they created Shadow Shrike. Since high level duels often take an extremely long amount of time (I've been in a pvp on my level 95 that lasted five hours) I believe Shadow Shrike is also intended to make matches quicker, so they do have other reasons for putting it in. I think it is a great and fun addition to the game, personally I love using shadow magic on my life (though I only use Shadow Seraph and Sentinel haha) I don't really see how it creates more problems besides unfairness when low levels end up having to fight high levels with shadow magic, as if their higher critical ratings weren't enough.

In the past, KingsIsle has definitely done "nerfing" before, to all schools and many spells, so I don't think they were avoiding that, I think their Shadow Magic idea served as a dual solution to a few other problems, though that still being the main one.

-Maria

Survivor
Mar 11, 2009